Canon EOS M6 Coming This Month.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/new-eos-m-camera-coming-in-february-cr3/">reported back in December</a> that Canon would be announcing a new EOS M camera in February ahead of CP+, and it appears that new camera will be the EOS M6 according to NokiS___a.</p>
<p>We also reported at the same time that the EF-M 18-55 STM would be discontinued, and it looks like that is going to be the case as this new camera will be kitted with the EF-M 15-45 and EF-M 18-150.</p>
<p><strong>Canon EOS M6 </strong>(Google Translated)</p>
<ul>
<li>Color: Black / Silver</li>
<li>Available in body only, EF-M 15-45mm lens kit, EF-M 18 – 150mm lens kit – Double zoom lens kit</li>
<li>SKU: 1724C001 (Black), 1725C001 (Silver)</li>
<li>Three-digit number of the back of the ※ C will change in the country of sale and kit.</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Canon EVF-DC 2 </strong>(Google Translated)</p>
<ul>
<li>Color: Black / Silver</li>
<li>SKU: 1727C001 (black), 1882C001 (silver)</li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

I just wish it would be an M3 replacement - having hot-shoe for Flash would be sometimes handy for my Elinchrom mobile kit :)

I just wonder (and sorry, not skilled in dimensions/physics), why do we have mostly only a slow lens available? Would some 15-45 f2.8 be a problem? The only attractive lens for me, right now, is the 22mm f2 variant.

Cheers,
Petr

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
If this is an M5 without an EVF in a M3 form factor, it is exactly what I was hoping for. It would be nice to have the option of built in EVF and then add-on EVF. Personally, I have opted for the latter as I want it as small and light as is reasonable.

As for the naming structure, this makes a lot of sense to me. They are liking it up like the "D" series (1Dx, 5D, 6D, 7D, etc)....so in the future we will have an "M" series.

What is known, if this holds, is:
  • M5-APS-C sensor, DPAF, Built in EVF
  • M6: APS-C sensor, DPAF, attachable EVF
  • M10: Basic model APS-C

That leaves room for a FF "M1" or "M1x". Perfect.

BTW, the original M was just the EOS M and not the M1, so there would not be duplicate names. If this holds true, I take this as a key indicator that Canon is devoted to the M lineup and have long term plans for it.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
docsmith said:
If this is an M5 without an EVF in a M3 form factor, it is exactly what I was hoping for. It would be nice to have the option of built in EVF and then add-on EVF. Personally, I have opted for the latter as I want it as small and light as is reasonable.

As for the naming structure, this makes a lot of sense to me. They are liking it up like the "D" series (1Dx, 5D, 6D, 7D, etc)....so in the future we will have an "M" series.

What is known, if this holds, is:
  • M5-APS-C sensor, DPAF, Built in EVF
  • M6: APS-C sensor, DPAF, attachable EVF
  • M10: Basic model APS-C

what you have there is probably pretty close to what I hope and it sounds like it, then you drifted off into sony stupid land ;)

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
SKU: 1724C001 (Black), 1725C001 (Silver)

the fact it's dual color seems to also indicate that it's an M3 replacement. I'm a little PO"ed if they replace the EVF-DC1 unless the new EVF has a hotshoe on it (which actually would be freaking cool) and the old one still works as well.

M3 was external EVF and two colors. The M10 no EVF and 3-4 colors.

and people.. does the number REALLY bother you? in canon land, the higher the number the lower the tier camera.

5D and 6D .. did people get up in arms over that?

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
neuroanatomist said:
They skipped the M4. Whoopdedoo.

Otherwise, probably a nice addition to the lineup. Hope they manage to make it a bit smaller than the M3.

There was a change in the numbering scheme. From 1,2,3 to the traditional where 5 is the top model and 6 and 7 are cheaper ones and then with larger numbers even cheaper ones. Look how they even look the same:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#682,684,637,ha,f

I was just considering getting M3 but it seems to be better to wait - though at fist the price could be high.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
okaro said:
neuroanatomist said:
They skipped the M4. Whoopdedoo.

Otherwise, probably a nice addition to the lineup. Hope they manage to make it a bit smaller than the M3.

There was a change in the numbering scheme. From 1,2,3 to the traditional where 5 is the top model and 6 and 7 are cheaper ones and then with larger numbers even cheaper ones. Look how they even look the same:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#682,684,637,ha,f

I was just considering getting M3 but it seems to be better to wait - though at fist the price could be high.

so how's that a change?

M5 would still be top, M6 under that, and M10 the cheapest version.....
::)

and yes, you're better off waiting a few weeks.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Let's presume it's a mid-level EOS M body. The naming seems a bit nuts to me actually. At a presumed future state of 5 / 6 / 10, I get it, but how we got here makes this look confusing:

Top of EOS M: M5

'Regular' Vanilla EOS M: M --> M2 --> M3 --> M6?

Entry-level EOS M: M10

This isn't the M6's fault, in fairness. The M5 really was the monkeywrench in that scheme. Perhaps it should have been:

Top: M#
Mid: M##
Entry: M###

(similar to what we see with SLRs)

- A

Upvote 0