Canon EOS M6 Mark II full specifications

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I thought about putting a clock on my home page that would show the apparent solar time at my house, IOW sundial time, day and night.

I did a test page that would have the server get GMT, calculate an approximation for the equation of time, and then give the current solar time (note: not "mean solar time," which is no fun) at my house. I just did a sparse readout for my own benefit for the test, and chose the sign of the EOT for the convenience of the formula. http://www.stevelee.name/eot.php

(Hit the refresh button to update the time.)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
4- It's well documented that with higher density sensors, you will likely have to double your shutter speed (say, compared to 18/20mp sensors of old) to get sharp photos as he sensors are more sensitive to slight movements.

Doubling your exposure time will double the blur. This may be your technique problem that seems to have persisted over several cameras. To reduce blur, you need to reduce your shutter speed. If you go from 1/500 to 1/1000 (that's a half as long exposure), you'll halve the impact of the same amount of camera movement. If you go from 1/500 to 1/250 (that's doubling your shutter time), you'll double the impact of the same amount of camera movement.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
DD/MM/YYYYY is the date standard used in Australia. Which is a bit backwards to what folks are used to in North Americas. Hence I usually quote month by name as in August to avoid any possible confusion.

MM/DD/YY is actually the most common format used in written prose in North America.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yes :)

But is does raise an interesting question.... why are we stuck with 8 character file names and a very limited ability to customize file names?

Some of us are in the environment where there are multiple shooters with multiple cameras and file naming becomes very important. With limited ability to change filenaming structure, duplicate file names become a problem. We have enforced a renaming structure, so if were to grab the 5D3 and iPhone to shoot something today, my shots would be renamed DH19-08-26-5D3_0001 or DH19-08-26-Phone_0001 and so on.

We name the photographer, the year, the month, the day, the camera, and the sequence number.

It would be nice to get a naming structure straight from the camera.....

You can change the IMG_ prefix to whatever you want in most recent Canon models. I have mine changed to:

MC72 = 7D Mark II
MC53 = 5D Mark III
MC54 = 5D Mark IV

FIle names come out of the camera as:

MC720001, MC720002, MC720003, etc.

When I import them they are automatically modified to YYMMDD[existing file name] (with YYMMDD extracted from the EXIF info for the time image taken), so the files above shot on 27 august, 2019 would look like:

190827MC720001, 190827MC720002, MC720003, etc.

If I resume shooting the next day, those would end up as:

190828MC720004, 190828MC720005, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0