Canon EOS R firmware 1.4.0 now available for download

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Of course I'm familiar with the feature intention. Though the question was about final result. If RP does a set of images like after panorama shooting for further processing it's OK because it saves some coins after 3rd-party software. But if it composes final image in the camera, it will be poor result. I had some experiense to make focus stacking for tiny objects, then stitched images in a dedicated software. The result was not so good even with three different options to stack. I wondered why and asked my buddy who's a serious insect macro photographer. He answered if you want to have perfect result you should use hands and masks.
Sorry. I thought you had a question.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It’s just a massive upgrade for me. I wouldn’t have expected it to be this good in low tungsten light, but even with the kids it sticks like glue. And through my wife’s glasses also. I can’t wait to go out and track some stuff today. Things like my son drinking from his cup and it just nails the eye past the bottom of the cup. It’s very quick to acquire focus and it doesn’t let go. And the precision and smoothness when using touch’n drag now means I can stop using the directional Keyes for precise placement.
I aimed it at the television 12 feet away (38" = small by today's standards) and it just works great. Can't wait for daylight and try it on my most challenging subject, a two year old.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The question was about a result.
Sorry. I thought your serious macro friend already answered that for you. If he did, then you have your answer already. I know I didn't come off as knowing anything about it at all, because I don't. You didn't seem to know anything either by the way you asked. You asked about near and far focus. I don't think that applies to macro.

Upvote 0

el peso

EOS R6 Mark II
Sep 13, 2019
Sorry. I thought your serious macro friend already answered that for you. If he did, then you have your answer already. I know I didn't come off as knowing anything about it at all, because I don't. You didn't seem to know anything either by the way you asked. You asked about near and far focus. I don't think that applies to macro.

The result of stacking photo feature was an interim question. I'd like to know if RP produces only final result and it's OK because RP is just an amateur cam. R is a different story. But if that feature makes a set of photos it's really strange why they didn't bring it to R.

"You asked about near and far focus. I don't think that applies to macro." It's a bit unclear for me. Why?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
One more thing to mention is the touch & drag AF point selection is more sensitive now, it looks like using a computer's mouse to select any point you want.
Yes! Much smoother. Fantastic now. It was a little frustrating sometimes before this update.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The result of stacking photo feature was an interim question. I'd like to know if RP produces only final result and it's OK because RP is just an amateur came. R is a different story. But if that feature makes a set of photos it's really strange why they didn't bring it to R.

"You asked about near and far focus. I don't think that applies to macro." It's a bit unclear for me. Why?
Well, I guess an insect, you could say the head is near and the abdomen far... but not what I generally think of for something so small. For panorama, I think big. Either way, I guess it is all the same.

Upvote 0

el peso

EOS R6 Mark II
Sep 13, 2019
Well, I guess an insect, you could say the head is near and the abdomen far... but not what I generally think of for something so small. For panorama, I think big. Either way, I guess it is all the same.
OK, got it. I shoot a steam engine model with HeliconFocus on my previous 6DM2. It's not macro itself, rather close-up.

Upvote 0
Good to hear! I've just downloaded it here in the UK and can't wait until daylight to try it out with my 100-400L IS II. Up to now it's been pretty hopeless, I got better focussing with my first DSLR, a Nikon D40 with Sigma 70-300.

I'm hoping for great things...

I've had issues with my 70-200 II on my EOS R so far, its the only lens I've had poor performance from. I'm installing the firmware update right now and will test the lens with the new firmware, I've high hopes!

Upvote 0
Massive improvement in eye-AF! Just tried my 70-200 II and I shot a sequence of around 60 shots of my toddler chasing me around the house and from initial viewing on the LCD looks like at least 80% hit focus.

Had one weird moment where the eye AF locked onto a sheep printed on my boys baby chair, and I had to refocus twice to get it to focus back on his face. Maybe it has animal eye focus too?! ;-)

• Haha
Upvote 0
Updated the firmware via the german canon site. Everything works like a charm.

Responsiveness of the touch'n'drag AF has been improved drastically and using the R feels even better now. Did a few tests with the EF 35mm 1.4 II L and a EF 135mm 2.0 L and Eye-AF is working perfect on about 2x the distance than before. Eye AF is also working awesome on my Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art and Tamron 85mm 1.8 VC.

It also felt that the silent shutter produces less "lag-time" after an image is taken now. But this may be just my feeling since everything runs a lot smoother now.

The new firmware feels less than an update but more like a complete do-over of some basic EOS R functions to me, and they did a great job with that.
I will see how the R performs on firmware 1.4 on a wedding on saturday and if the new "smoothness of everything" maybe drains battery life faster or not.

Upvote 0