Canon EOS R1 Specifications [CR2]

I'm kind of curious as to how many of the whiners and complainers in regards to the rumored 30 MP have actually shot with both a 30 MP and 45 MP camera? I have, and the difference is not that much in real life, hand-held shooting. But who cares about reality. Everyone knows you can't shoot wildlife, sports, product, portrait, etc, with only 30 MP!!

Seriously, how stupid can people get. Complaints about Canon being 2 years behind, about nothing really innovative, about this being nothing but an R3 mark II.... Except that the readout speed is 5 TIMES faster than the R3. (Yeah, but it's not global shutter...) No, it's probably better than a global shutter.
And 120 fps compared to the R3's 30fps, (I think it is)...which would be 4 TIMES greater. And 1 second pre-shooting, and a whole lot more.
I shoot birds and wildlife and I've owned both the R3 and R5 since launch and have shot extensively with them, the R3 is by far my favorite body (so much so that I'm about to sell the R5 because it doesn't get enough usage anymore). 30fps is already too many frames in 95% of situations, 120fps will be overkill in all but 99% of situations. Readout speed is also plenty fast on the R3, I've shot in plenty of situations where the R5 exhibits rolling shutter and I've never seen it a single time with the R3. Dynamic range and low light performance with the R3 are already the best of any body I've ever used, I've comfortably shot at ISO 32,000 and gotten shockingly clean results after running the files through DXO Pure RAW.

The only thing that the R3 lacks is resolution in certain situations where the subject is either incredibly small and erratic like swallows in flight or very far away. Yes extenders exist and I own both RF extenders and will not hesitate to put a 2x on my RF 400mm but the fact of the matter is that the results are cleaner when cropping in on a sensor like the R5 with a 1.4x or bare. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy an R1 as soon as it's released but instead of my original plan of keeping my R3 I'll most likely sell it because there's too much overlap. Hopefully the claims about 16 bit RAW will improve image quality enough that upscaling in those edge case scenarios will be sufficient.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[…]Hopefully the claims about 16 bit RAW will improve image quality enough that upscaling in those edge case scenarios will be sufficient.
It might be a 16 bit capable file format that gets filled with 14 bit image data. Like how the R5 fills a 14 bit file with 12 bit data when using the electronic shutter.
Special modes like bracketing or hdr might produce a true 16 bit file, but I strongly suspect regular shooting won’t.

Upvote 0
Canon EOS R8 Body $999 (Reg $1499)
For those who are fortunate enough to be able to buy refurbished then it looks like the RP was usd549 3 weeks ago…. The refurbished r8 is still 80% higher price on an apples-to-apples basis
https://www.cpricewatch.com/blog/tag/canon-eos-rp/

Upvote 0
Genuine question, what can be done with that setup (that's distinctive)?

The easy and quick on and off tele converter is something i´d love to have!
Camera on and off the lens to put on the tele converter by hand costs time, so i hardly use it.

In combination with more mp, you can get for example better pics of visitors on their seats.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The easy and quick on and off tele converter is something i´d love to have!
Camera on and off the lens to put on the tele converter by hand costs time, so i hardly use it.

In combination with more mp, you can get for example better pics of visitors on their seats.
I can’t emphasize how beneficial the built-in extenders are. There are so many occasions in the field where you’re shooting from a tripod with a prime and suddenly need to add or remove an extender and it’s extremely cumbersome. You have to rebalance your gimbal, juggle the body and the extender while making sure your gimbal is locked down, it’s just an ordeal. Being able to just do it at the flip of a switch without needing to do anything else is incredibly powerful.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2019
Au contraire!

The 1D X series has never been "high resolution". The 1Ds series, on the other hand, were the highest resolution ILCs in Canon's catalog from the time the 1Ds was introduced in 2002 until the 1Ds Mark III was discontinued in 2012. Not coincidentally the same year the 18 MP 1D X was introduced to replace both the "fast/lower resolution/APS-H" 16MP 1D Mark IV and the "slower/higher resolution/FF" 21MP 1Ds Mark III, the 22MP 5D Mark III was introduced with a pro-grade AF system (the PDAF array is the same part number as in the 1D X) and, at that time, the highest resolution FF EOS body ever. [The previous 5D Mark II had a 9 point AF system with 6 unmarked "assist" AF points in AI Servo AF that was slow, relatively inconsistent from frame to frame, and unusable in low light environments below around EV0.]
I have been working successfully with the 5D Mark II for 7 years. Although the AF system in my experience and application was limited only to the center point in One Shot focus mode, I never had a problem with the accuracy of that point. Servo AF was also quite good, although I rarely used it, mainly because in Servo AF mode you can't really use the focus and recompose technique - because Servo AF worked well also only with the center point. However, what is definitely not true in my experience is that the AF suffered in dark conditions (below 0EV). My experiences are just the opposite. The AF system is using the central AF point in One Shot mode, and with the help of the focus assist beam on the flash, I was able to focus in complete darkness, and even on a completely white wall in complete darkness.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
The AF system is using the central AF point in One Shot mode, and with the help of the focus assist beam on the flash, I was able to focus in complete darkness, and even on a completely white wall in complete darkness.
That was a nice feature of DSLRs and flash, the AF assist beam. Very "Predator" like acquiring your target. :cool:

1000015842.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'm kind of curious as to how many of the whiners and complainers in regards to the rumored 30 MP have actually shot with both a 30 MP and 45 MP camera? I have, and the difference is not that much in real life, hand-held shooting. But who cares about reality. Everyone knows you can't shoot wildlife, sports, product, portrait, etc, with only 30 MP!!

Seriously, how stupid can people get. Complaints about Canon being 2 years behind, about nothing really innovative, about this being nothing but an R3 mark II.... Except that the readout speed is 5 TIMES faster than the R3. (Yeah, but it's not global shutter...) No, it's probably better than a global shutter.
And 120 fps compared to the R3's 30fps, (I think it is)...which would be 4 TIMES greater. And 1 second pre-shooting, and a whole lot more.

I couldn't have said this any better myself, I'm with you 100% I've owned all the 5D series, and now the R5, in fact I have 2 of them at this point. But the 30MP on the 5D vs the R5 45MP is irrelevant in most cases. I aim looking forward to this R1, not for the 30MP and being less then my R5, but for the fact of all the other benefits which no seems to get past once they hear the megapixel. And Global Shutter? Thank god they didn't follow Sony. Global shutter is a bad idea for stills photographers and I'm excited Canon didn't even go there. Or don't appear to be.

People jump on this nonsense bandwagon, OOOOO Global Shutter, the game is over, I find that those people tend to be less knowledgeable in a broad sense.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
It might be a 16 bit capable file format that gets filled with 14 bit image data. Like how the R5 fills a 14 bit file with 12 bit data when using the electronic shutter.
Special modes like bracketing or hdr might produce a true 16 bit file, but I strongly suspect regular shooting won’t.
There's no such thing as '16-bit capable file'.
"16-bit raw file" is a misnomer or, best case, simplification.
What they mean is each pixel needs at least 16 bits to be represented. The container size isn't a concern here.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
There's no such thing as '16-bit capable file'.
"16-bit raw file" is a misnomer or, best case, simplification.
What they mean is each pixel needs at least 16 bits to be represented. The container size isn't a concern here.
With all the silly games Canon has played, including removing the lower bit depths mentions from updated manuals, I bet Canon will be talking about containers and the rumour people will think it’s about pixels. But we’ll see :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I couldn't have said this any better myself, Im with you 100% Ive owned all the 5D series, and now the R5, in fact I have 2 of them at this point. But the 30MP on the 5D vs the R5 45MP is irrelevant in most cases. I aim looking forward to this R1, not for the 30MP and being less then my R5, but for the fact of all the other benefits which no seems to get past once they hear the megapixel. And Global Shutter? Thank god they didn't follow Sony. Global shutter is a bad idea for stills photographers and Im excited Canon didn't even go there. Or don't appear to be.

Pople jump on this nonsense bandwagon, OOOOO Global Shutter, the game is over, I find that those people tend to be less knowledgeable in a broad sense.
You might not get better images on your R5 than a 5DIV, but I do on mine.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
With all the silly games Canon has played, including removing the lower bit depths mentions from updated manuals, I bet Canon will be talking about containers and the rumour people will think it’s about pixels. But we’ll see :)
Statement about 16 bits was from the rumour, not from Canon.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Statement about 16 bits was from the rumour, not from Canon.
I am, naively, assuming the rumour people have access to Canon marketing materials. And I’m also assuming they are more photographically than technically inclined :) So ‘16 bit’ gets mentioned somewhere and people assume it’s about pixels.

Upvote 0
I am, naively, assuming the rumour people have access to Canon marketing materials. And I’m also assuming they are more photographically than technically inclined :) So ‘16 bit’ gets mentioned somewhere and people assume it’s about pixels.
There's too many assumptions :)
But if they're all true, then again, raw file bitness refers to the content not to the container. There are container types used in CPUs but there's nothing really that's 16 bits in the CR3 files that would refer to pixels. When processing pixel raw data, the software would actually use 16 or 32 bit integer types or 32-bit float type.

Upvote 0