Canon EOS R3 to have a 30mp sensor? [CR1]

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
I have an R6 and a 5DsR. I think I’ll sell the R6 and get this and keep the 5DsR a while longer. Sell it when the high megapixel R series camera comes out. I have a c70 for video, so those specs aren’t a huge deal to me. Sounds like the R3 will pair well with that one too though. That’s nice. I think this is the one for me. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Having a R6, which is ok for me I dont care so much about the new R3. I cannot understand people who rail against the "low" pixel count of the 1D-Series. I once rented a 1DxII and was taken with the image quality. Clean files and wonderful colours, nothing to complain about. The first image is more than 100% crop, not enough details? :)

_N1I9743.jpg_N1I9742.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
If Canon confirms this, it will be a compelling reason for me to wait and save a little more, vs purchasing the R5 (which was my plan for this year).
I think it ultimately depends on what you shoot and your work style. I was going to hold off for the R3, but I decided to bite the bullet and bought an R5 yesterday. I realized I mostly do portraiture and landscape work, as well as some video production, so the higher resolution of the R5 and the video options made more sense to me. If you mostly do action sports or wildlife work, the R3 is most definitely fitting for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The 30mp sensor seems a bit boring to me. Is this supposed to be an update over the R5? I’m not so sure it is. Can we assume “raw” would have to be a crop, since oversampled 4K would not be “raw”?
This is shaping up to be a pass for me. I’ll wait and see what the R1 brings before making any decisions. I’m in no hurry. My current cameras are pretty awesome.
If it comes in at 30mp, it will save me $6,000 as I'll stay with my R5.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
What is an anonymous source? Someone who just contacted you and told you that number? If he knows the number, why does he just say "around"?

We already know that it probably does not have 8K, because 4K was mentioned. So it has less than the 39.3 megapixels needed for 8K, which is very good news.

If it has 30 megapixels, the question is if it is worth buying know or if it would be better two save another $2000 or so more and wait another year or so with the R1 with a much better 20 mepapixel or so sensor. How much time or money would the upgrade from 30 to 20 megapixels be worth?
I don't see Canon making and releasing a 20MP or even 24MP R1 series at this point in time. As the tech upgrades and "know-how" for improved possibilities seem to be pushing their professional model MP higher at least in the mirror-less line-up. My guess is at minimum an R1 will have 30MP and I wouldn't be shocked if it was north of 40MP. But I am also quite positive that whatever resolution the R3 will have will not be an indication of where the R1 will end up. I think Canon, after the R, is slowly learning that they are better off in a shrinking market to introduce more mature products.

I am no expert by any means. But have been pretty good at guessing, for example, price points on their products and I was spot on with my guesses of where the R5 and R6 would be priced. Many were worried the R5 would be well north of $4K USD because of the 8K and some of the other features. I was quite certain that they would not do that. Think about the 5D when it was first introduced and then later, the truly ground-breaking 5D Mk II (introducing video). The 5D series have always been in between the $3-$4K range at release. My guess on the R3 is that won't be more than $5,200USD and probably closer to between $4,699 - $4,899USD. Which would put it ~$1K above the R5. They still need to leave a price range for the R1 - do we think that will be significantly more than the 1DX Mk III? I think even with new ground-breaking tech the R1 can't exceed $7,500 entry price-point. I'm guessing between $6,800 - $7,300.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

yankiefrankie

CR Pro
Sep 10, 2020
What is an anonymous source? Someone who just contacted you and told you that number? If he knows the number, why does he just say "around"?

We already know that it probably does not have 8K, because 4K was mentioned. So it has less than the 39.3 megapixels needed for 8K, which is very good news.

If it has 30 megapixels, the question is if it is worth buying know or if it would be better two save another $2000 or so more and wait another year or so with the R1 with a much better 20 mepapixel or so sensor. How much time or money would the upgrade from 30 to 20 megapixels be worth?
Upgrade from 30mp to 20mp??!! At first, I thought you were joking!
But now that I know you are serious, I have a nice 5mp "SUPER upgrade" that I can sell you if you are interested! :p

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
I am jealous of the low prices in some countries. Here in germany the R5 is 4,499 Euros in most stores. The cheapest offer at the moment is 4,379 Euros. The cheapest price of the 1D X is 7,114. Only the R6 is quite cheap at the moment with 2,279 Euros because of the Canon Cashback. I am sure that the R3 will cost at least 6,000 Euros in Germany and the R1 mights be close to 9,000 Euros, if the 8,500 dollars are true for the US.

Maybe it would be worth buying those cameras in a low price country. Even with the costs of a flight they might still be cheaper. Customs in Germany could cause problems those.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Upgrade from 30mp to 20mp??!! At first, I thought you were joking!
But now that I know you are serious, I have a nice 5mp "SUPER upgrade" that I can sell you if you are interested! :p
The 12 megapixel A7S was the most expensive of the A7 line for example. In times were cellphones have 108 megapixel sensors, a sensor with large pixels is something special. Of course you need a minimum resolution for some purposes. 20 megapixels are the sweet spot for me.

Upvote 0

yankiefrankie

CR Pro
Sep 10, 2020
The 12 megapixel A7S was the most expensive of the A7 line for example. In times were cellphones have 108 megapixel sensors, a sensor with large pixels is something special. Of course you need a minimum resolution for some purposes. 20 megapixels are the sweet spot for me.
I know. I was just messing with you. ;)

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Why wait another 1 or 2 years or even more for a camera which we don't know nothing about? 30 megapixels is 50 percent more than 20, quite significant and with all the other updates it will be the best Canon body.
30MP from 20MP is insignificant from a resolution perspective. You would need "appoximetly" 60MP.

If the objective is better IQ... This puppy at 30MP is a distraction until the R1

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
30MP from 20MP is insignificant from a resolution perspective. You would need "appoximetly" 60MP.

If the objective is better IQ... This puppy at 30MP is a distraction until the R1
I have complete faith that the R1 will be a dramatic disappointment to you. The R1 Mark III will be the perfect camera for you, but it will come 6 years too late. Best switch to Sony now.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Seems like a pretty good resolution for a camera that will be capable of 30fps. A reasonable increase over Sony A9, I think this will be a hit for those that like to carry around a brick of a camera. I'm happy with the R5 and the Sony A7RIV at least until I can afford an A1. Either way it will be nice to have options for fast electronic shutters with both Canon and Sony.
I guess it shows how good the A1 is to do 50MP at 30fps. Unlike you, I haven't felt it with the A7RIV. I just can't seem to get the AF settings right, and the RIV doesn't mate well with the 100-600G lens. By contrast, the Nikon Z9 promises to be 40-50MP and 20fps. To be honest, I'm okay with 20fps as long as the resolution is decently high. However, if the Z9 doesn't tick all the other boxes, then I'll either have to hope for a high-resolution stacked-sensor Canon camera (I too am pessimistic that the R1 will be high-resolution), or give the A1 another look.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
The 90D (which is the R3 APS-C "compatible") has a 32.5MP sensor, and it looks like a good number for the R3. Supporting this hypothesis is the simple following calculation: the R5 has 20FPS with 45MP, then having 30FPS in the same "capability" means that the sensor should be "smaller" in the same ratio, giving us a sensor of about 30-32.5MP. In general, for the kind of need for the R3, 32.5MP sensor more than enough, mind all that the 1Dx has only 20MP, which will probably be the same number for the R1.

What more interesting, will the R3 have GPS as well?

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Why wait?

Start dumping on the R1 now, because most here pretty much expect you will anyway.
I believe the R1 will have not less than 80 mp and will be able to pixel bin to 20 mp. My opinion is that the R1 will not be a sports oriented camera but a studio camera with global shutter to flash sync at any speed.

Just because the 1DX3 is sports oriented, that doesn't mean the R1 has to be. Canon hasn't had an R3 type camera, so their lineup is shifting. With the R3 as their pro sports/PJ camera, the R1 will be their high resolution pro studio camera.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I believe the R1 will have not less than 80 mp and will be able to pixel bin to 20 mp. My opinion is that the R1 will not be a sports oriented camera but a studio camera with global shutter to flash sync at any speed.

Just because the 1DX3 is sports oriented, that doesn't mean the R1 has to be. Canon hasn't had an R3 type camera, so their lineup is shifting. With the R3 as their pro sports/PJ camera, the R1 will be their high resolution pro studio camera.
I am 100% sure R1 will be a sports-oriented camera unless there is a separate R1X.
If R3 was a 1DX replacement then it would have 2 CF Express slots.

Upvote 0