Canon EOS R3 to have a 30mp sensor? [CR1]

30 MP would match up with the no 8k, but that puts it below the Nikon Z9. But then the Z9 is 20 FPS and not the 30 FPS of the R3.
I would personally rather have a “true”
20FPS with 45mp then 30mp with 30fps
I shoot professional alpine ski racing and having the extra cropping potential is a game changer.
Oh well looks like the R3 is going to be 30mp
Not sure how Canon can price this with theses specs when compared to the Sony A1

Upvote 0
Yes, even after deducing the 19% you might often pay more
Comparing German prices to prices with Texas VAT, I'd save 1.200 $ on a R5 purchase and almost another 850 $ on a RF 100-500mm. That's insane! Even in Switzerland the prices are way cheaper, I read up on it online. And Canon Germany doesn't really have a tempting cash back program because even if the "EOS plus X" cash back (360 $ off the RF 100-500mm price) you'd still pay nearly 2k$ EXTRA on the already hefty RF price tag... Therefore, the cheaper Sony offerings are very tempting for some people over here...

I'll go back to the states this summer, but with the new lenses all on backorder, I don't know whether I'll get one or not....

Upvote 0
If it comes in at 30mp, it will save me $6,000 as I'll stay with my R5.
I’m sure the you the only way I would go for the R3 at this point is class leading CAF and excellent battery life. I was so pleasantly surprised with the R5 yet the battery life even with the grip is not so good

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
What would be the cheapest country to buy a camera? Canada, the UK, some Asian country, India? If Corona is over, I would be willing to travel anywhere, if that saves me more money than the flight costs. Of course that is only possible with a global warranty.

I remember that the Sony A9 was quite cheap in the Sony store in Shanghai. It was 32,000 Yuan in 2017. Canon also has a store there, but I am not sure about the prices.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
30 MP is reasonable, but there are still so many questions to be answered, such as:

1) Is the continuous AF focusing better than R5 in terms of acquisition speed an ability to lock on to a subject?
2) Is the electronic shutter adjustable at lower frames rates, such as 5, 10, 20 fps?
3) Is the OVF a higher refresh rate?
4) What is the low ISO dynamic range and the high ISO noise characteristics?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If Corona is over, I would be willing to travel anywhere, if that saves me more money than the flight costs. Of course that is only possible with a global warranty.
That's a great idea! I once thought about it, too. If RF pricing keeps being insane in Germany, I'll actually go through with it and do some research this summer. With the 15-35mm F2.8 I'd save another 500 € (600 $...). Canon Germany is just too greedy in my opinion...

Upvote 0
In my opinion, people are making too much of this. If your goal is to write to both cards as a backup, the solution is simple. Write to the CF Express card in raw and write to the SD card in JPG. Since the SD card is there as a backup only, the JPGs can be used to salvage the images if for some reason the CFExpress card fails. JPGs aren't ideal, but they aren't as unusable as some people think. If you aren't competent enough to get a good image in Photoshop out of a JPG, that's your problem, not Canon's.

That's the use case for me when I do pro work (5 - 10 percent of my shots). The reason I really like having the SD card as backup is that I generally don't shoot redundant at all, but rather have the second card as a capacity reserve, with a cheap 1TB card in it. I have it in my head that someday I'll be in a blind for a few hours observing something crazy-rare, like a bear wrestling an octopus or something, and I need to be able to have vast capacity.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
That's the use case for me when I do pro work (5 - 10 percent of my shots). The reason I really like having the SD card as backup is that I generally don't shoot redundant at all, but rather have the second card as a capacity reserve, with a cheap 1TB card in it. I have it in my head that someday I'll be in a blind for a few hours observing something crazy-rare, like a bear wrestling an octopus or something, and I need to be able to have vast capacity.
A bear wrestling an octopus!! :LOL:

Upvote 0

sandhar

Birds, Places, Humans, Landscapes
Jun 2, 2021
sandharphotography.com
Having a R6, which is ok for me I dont care so much about the new R3. I cannot understand people who rail against the "low" pixel count of the 1D-Series. I once rented a 1DxII and was taken with the image quality. Clean files and wonderful colours, nothing to complain about. The first image is more than 100% crop, not enough details? :)

View attachment 198301View attachment 198302

nice photo Berowne, how did you manage to get a swirling bokeh effect around the head ? ... it's quite cool

Upvote 0

ClickIt_AC

Shoot First... ask questions later!
Dec 11, 2013
Yorkshire
www.alamy.com
30 Mpx hits the spot for me. I have the ‘R’ and use a grip but have to trade-off some settings to counter Tremor, however I still usually get my stock accepted, so the same size pics with IBIS, built in grip and latest focus capabilities would suit just fine. It also means the file size allows me to keep my computer at current specs.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
30 MP is better than 20 MP I suppose. I was hoping for 50MP.
FPS is definately a diminishing return factor. There are few cases where 20FPS is less useful than 30FPS.
I'd prefer a 20 FPS / 50 MP and I'd need no more. I guess it's Canon's job to keep you wanting the next model.
I couldn't care less about 8K or 4K, 8K always seems overkill to me, so few things are capable of showing it and I can't see see much difference.
4K seems more than enough, I was quite satisfied with HD.
It will be interesting its focusing and tracking abilities.
While the 1DXIII is better than any other camera I have its still far from perfect.
Good for large objects (sports etc) but not as good for small moving objects.
It's probably a good thing for me in the end as I won't be pre-ordering or rushing to get it.
I may well end up with it but I can take my time.
It's good sometimes to want something but not own it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think it ultimately depends on what you shoot and your work style. I was going to hold off for the R3, but I decided to bite the bullet and bought an R5 yesterday. I realized I mostly do portraiture and landscape work, as well as some video production, so the higher resolution of the R5 and the video options made more sense to me. If you mostly do action sports or wildlife work, the R3 is most definitely fitting for you.
Realistically, the R6 works for what I do, but I love the smart controller on the 1dxmiii and think I'd like having the option for speed whenever I want it. Plus the battery life on the R6 is nowhere near what I'm used too.... Needed 2 1/2 batteries over two events this last weekend. I also plan on printing my images as art and feel the extra mp's will be beneficial.

But being very honest, I just want it lol.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
That's a great idea! I once thought about it, too. If RF pricing keeps being insane in Germany, I'll actually go through with it and do some research this summer. With the 15-35mm F2.8 I'd save another 500 € (600 $...). Canon Germany is just too greedy in my opinion...
I bought the Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 with IS and I love that lens. It is very sharp and I wonder if the Canon RF 15-35 f/2.8 is so much better that it justifies 2,499 Euros instead of the 899 or so the Tamron lens costs now. The RF lens prices are just insane and you can only use those lenses on the RF mount. Maybe you would notice some difference on a very high megapixel camera. I would also rather buy the EF 85mm f/1.4 by Canon than the RF 85mm f/1.2, which does not even have an IS, which can be a problem, if you buy a cheaper second R body without IBIS.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
Canon Headquarters: “Hey guys, let’s build a new Pro Mirrorless camera after Somy has gone mirrorless 3 years ago. Let’s make an R5 with 45 megapixels. And then we make a mirrorless body for Pro’s. Yeah! Let’s make that 30 megapixel! Yeah!” Eh... why would you downgrade on megapixels whilst the sensor is already built? Canon, what are you doing?? Saving the 45 megapixel sensor for the R1?
JUST GIVE US A DESCENT KICK A** 45 MEGAPIXEL PRO BODY WITH DUAL HIGH SPEED CARD SLOTS NOW! WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR 3 DAMN YEARS!

• Wow
Upvote 0
I bought the Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 with IS and I love that lens. It is very sharp and I wonder if the Canon RF 15-35 f/2.8 is so much better that it justifies 2,499 Euros instead of the 899 or so the Tamron lens costs now.
At the moment, I don’t have an UWA lense but I’ll be getting one in the near future (spring 2022 at the latest…) I’ll look at the Tamron but I’d also like to get rid of the adapter…so I’m hoping for an affordable RF 14-35mm F4. If I have to keep the adapter I’ll either get the tamron or the EF 16-35mm which I once owned (great lense!)

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Canon Headquarters: “Hey guys, let’s build a new Pro Mirrorless camera after Somy has gone mirrorless 3 years ago. Let’s make an R5 with 45 megapixels. And then we make a mirrorless body for Pro’s. Yeah! Let’s make that 30 megapixel! Yeah!” Eh... why would you downgrade on megapixels whilst the sensor is already built? Canon, what are you doing?? Saving the 45 megapixel sensor for the R1?
JUST GIVE US A DESCENT KICK A** 45 MEGAPIXEL PRO BODY WITH DUAL HIGH SPEED CARD SLOTS NOW! WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR 3 DAMN YEARS!
Wow, intense. If the R3 really does have 30mp, we'll need to ensure all highrise office buildings keep all windows locked in case of jumpers!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0