Canon EOS R3 to have a 30mp sensor? [CR1]

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I think because the incremental improvements in DR are approaching real limits.
And here I was thinking we don't talk about DR anymore because Canon isn't behind Sony anymore! But that can't be, the Sony crowd would never steer the discussion on this forum... :p

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
30 MP would match up with the no 8k, but that puts it below the Nikon Z9. But then the Z9 is 20 FPS and not the 30 FPS of the R3.
The R3 seems definitely to be designed for speed and action, and for that 30 MP is a sweet spot with current tech.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Edit: posted before my first coffee :/ (always reread the post you are answering :/ )

Just had a look and excluding tax there is a US$345 price gap in the Canon stores for the 100-500 as you said. Don’t get me wrong, I still think a 10% price gap is ridiculous. Do not know where it comes from, though. Import tax or just Canon ripping of the Germans/(Europeans?) ;)

The more extensive warranty required by German law might have something to do with it.

In the U.S. we get a One Year warranty and then it's KMAG YOYO.

If we want a longer warranty it costs an extra $337 + tax for four year coverage (including the first year already included in the purchase price) on cameras priced between $3,000 and $3,999.99. Two year coverage (one additional year) is $170 + tax.

For the RF 100-500mm selling at $2,700 + tax, the extended four year coverage is an additional $216 + tax. Two year coverage (one additional year) is $95 + tax.

Providing extended warranty coverage with the price of the purchase has real cost to Canon Europe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Okay, let's open up again the betting shop: I guess it'll settle somewhere in the US-$ 4499 - 5499 range. The 1D-X III is currently offered for US-$ 6499 on B&H.

Wow, thanks for really narrowing that down for us!

It's going to be at least $1,000 more than the R5 ( and probably closer to $1,500 more) and at least $1,500 less than the R1 (and probably $2,000 less).

So that puts the R3 at $5,399 and the R1 at $6,899, but Canon will round those up to $5,499 and $6,999, respectively.

Of course market conditions can change a lot by the time the R1 arrives in a couple of years.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I would personally rather have a “true”
20FPS with 45mp then 30mp with 30fps
I shoot professional alpine ski racing and having the extra cropping potential is a game changer.
Oh well looks like the R3 is going to be 30mp
Not sure how Canon can price this with theses specs when compared to the Sony A1
From what I see in reviews the Alpha 1 can't actually focus at 30fps on a fast moving subject so the 30fps is just marketing fluff and unusable unless you want to shoot 30fps of a static subject !
A crop sensor 30mp R7 would give you more pixel density if it ever comes out

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Here in New Zealand an R5 is NZD 6,800 which is about USD 4,900 and we have a 15% sales tax but at least we get a full 5 year warranty which is better than the 2 years in Europe or the 1 year limited warranty in the USA
So how much is extended warranty actually "worth"? In general, I have entered the realm of decliners after years of no benefit... maybe I'm just lucky... or a gambler.

Jack

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
I actually sold my R5 to buy an R6 because 99% of the time, good 20 megapixels is preferable for me than 45 megapixels and at the burst rate that the R5 has, it was really hard to have shutter discipline, and I didn't need to be burning 5 gigs just to get some cat pictures. Plus, at the time, the R5 could be sold at zero loss because the stock was so low.

I'm amazed that people actually want 45 megapixels. My life is so much easier with 20 megapixels because images process more than twice as fast now, and upload times, upload bandwidth, and disk space needs are reduced by half. And it's still way more than I need. If you have a 6K monitor, you can actually see 20 megapixels, but how many people do I know with 20 megapixels? And I have a very modern computer that is faster than most people's computers.

I do wish that my R6 was 25.2 megapixels, by the way, which is the magical number it would need for the APS-C crop to be a 1:1 4K readout, but anything beyond that is so extra for me right now. I do think 30 megapixels would be a wonderful sweet spot for many, though, because it allows a little bit of cropping while still having way more resolution than necessary, but honestly, be careful what you wish for with numbers greater than 30. I had an M6 Mark II before this, and I always thought that the 32 megapixels just needlessly made the files bigger.

Well, the R6 shoots with the same fps rates so I don't get the shutter discipline bit. Also, the c-raw option makes handling R5 files very easy; they are about the same size as 5D mk IV files. My 4 year old iMac can handle these files without any problem, and hard drive space is cheap as heck. So for those reasons these are non-arguments if you ask me.

Of course, if you don't need the res, then save the money and get the R6! I'm quite happy with the cropping flexibility of 45 mpix files, but it's because I shoot commercial portraits where sometimes it's very nice to get a close headshop crop out of a wider shot portrait for example. And wildlife, too.

That said, I am contemplating adding an R3 next to my R5's. In particular for superior AF, and if high iso perfomance is improved over R6/R5 (when you normalise the files of the R5 to R6 size, you get more or less the same). I think the resolution of the 5D IV (also 30mpix) was always fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
So how much is extended warranty actually "worth"? In general, I have entered the realm of decliners after years of no benefit... maybe I'm just lucky... or a gambler.

Jack
The warranty is standard here but the gear is priced higher , also in New Zealand all consumer products must last a reasonable time by law so warranties are a bit irrelevant here as the retailer must replace or repair the product anyway if it doesn't last a reasonable time

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm quite happy with the cropping flexibility of 45 mpix files, but it's because I shoot commercial portraits where sometimes it's very nice to get a close headshop crop out of a wider shot portrait for example. And wildlife, too.
Thank you. ;) I was beginning to think I am one of the only people who does this. I have been very happy just stepping up from the 5D Mark III to the R for this reason, and the AF.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The warranty is standard here but the gear is priced higher , also in New Zealand all consumer products must last a reasonable time by law so warranties are a bit irrelevant here as the retailer must replace or repair the product anyway if it doesn't last a reasonable time
Is there a list of how long things should last to be considered reasonable? I'd imagine that, and the warranty, are part of what has the prices higher.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

Those laws raise the cost to Canon of selling the same product in NZ compared to places with less stringent warranties. Someone has to pay it.

Upvote 0