Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lens SKU and kit information

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The specs of the new RF tele primes and zooms, f/7.1 only @ 500mm and dark f/11 @ 600mm and 800mm show that Canon boldly trusts the low light capabilities of their new sensors, plus the AF performance of the R5/6. So, if you use a fast tele prime you should be able to shoot in the darkness... very interesting.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I am hoping the R5 comes with the EF adapter as I have a good selection of L glass and not ready to upgrade that yet.

I jumped on a bunch of control ring adapters that were for sale as refurbs a couple of months ago. Since I want the ring and that doesn't come as part of a kit.

As such I'd really rather not have a non-control ring adapter in a kit--but I DO hope they have that option for other people such as yourself.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Given the R6 kit lens pairing it’s obvious Canon considers it to be the new low end camera. The 85/2 macro IS lens is interesting to me and will probably be the first lens in the list that I purchase. Bring on the R5!

Yeah, that lens doesn't really "fit" with an R5 does it? Purely consumer-grade. Sounds like, at least in terms of marketing "level" the R6 is aimed at the RP level.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'm sorta hoping the R6 is a fit for me, cause the R5 is definitely overkill. But since I'm upgrading from a 12 year old, 18 MP Rebel, a 20 MP full-frame camera feels very sad-trombone. It's probably irrational, but I don't want to feel sad-trombone.

Given that my Rebel (and M50) is 24MP, (and I own an M6-II at 32MP) I am having the same sad trombone issue with the R6. If it were 30MP I'd be looking at it, as it is, if I had to choose between the R6 and the RP, I'd take the RP. The R5 is probably overkill for me, but I can justify it, if it comes in at a decent price...otherwise, it's RP time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
It's going to be an expensive year!

For me I've already settled on:
  1. R5
  2. RF 35mm 1.8
  3. RF 85mm f/2
  4. EF-R control wheel adapter
  5. 128GB CF Express, 128GB UHS-II SD, ProGrade CF Express + UHS II SD dual reader
  6. 2 extra batteries
  7. Rumored new 600EX-RT II replacement depending on what it entails, especially if it's a flash system made specially for the EOS R series
  8. RRS L-bracket for R5(this can't come soon enough)
And then after that, my immediate interest is in either the 28-70 F/2 or the RF 70-200 2.8. Just depends on how I actually find myself using the R5. If it turns into more of a vacation camera for me over my 1DX2, the RF 70-200 would be super easy to bring everywhere, but if the R5 turns into my new main paid-assignment workhorse over the 1DX2, I'll probably get the 28-70 F/2.
thank you, I forgot to add the 2 batteries! I still have 2 LP-E6N left over from my 5dIV sale, but I assume it may not last very long or have enough juice if they are releasing a new batter even in the same format.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I have been musing over my body & lens slelection. If the 500 DO had been a f5.6 it would have been on my pre-order list since it should provide better IQ at 500m than the zoom. Shooting wildlife, unless there is some secret sauce with the R5 + 500/600 DO combination it is going to be useless with the 1.4 or 2x TC. So here are my thoughts, interested in feedback.
  • Rudy Winston in the Optic Vendor session said that if we are happy with the EF 100-400 (I assume II), we should expect the same level of performance with the RF 100-500.
  • The R5 is expected to be in the range of 45mp
  • A lot of my photos are in the 500-600 range shot with a 1dx II with the EF 100-400 II or the EF 200-400
  • Even with a 20-30% crop in post, I would still have over 30mp on the R5 (assuming 45mp)
  • If the 100-500 has similar or better optical quality than the 100-400, I could be happy with the crop version.
  • Only downside is the majority of my 100-400 shots are @f5.6 (560 w/200-400 + internal TC), means the loss of 2/3rd of a stop over what I normally shoot
  • If Canon provides a software crop mode, I think I will be very happy.
So, why buy the 600mm DO f11 if you can shoot native with the 100-500 + crop AND it is unlikely the extenders will provide any benefit on the 600mm due to the f11 aperture? If I were to buy one of the DO's to complement the 100-500, it would be the 800mm because it would truly provide more reach. I just can't wrap my head around buying an f11 lens.

BTW - they blew by my question on Canon's rationale for the 100-500 L lens being f7.1 during the Q&A.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I hope those DO lenses have some amount of weather sealing...but probably not based on the current trend of RF STM lenses. You would think they would since clearly those lenses are meant to be used outdoors...not much use for 800mm indoors unless you want to look at your partner's nose hairs.
Well, I defended these lenses quite a bit so far. But if it is actively raining outside, the light may indeed be to bad to get much in terms of quality out of an f/11 lens anyway.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
So, why buy the 600mm DO f11 if you can shoot native with the 100-500 + crop AND it is unlikely the extenders will provide any benefit on the 600mm due to the f11 aperture? If I were to buy one of the DO's to complement the 100-500, it would be the 800mm because it would truly provide more reach. I just can't wrap my head around buying an f11 lens.

BTW - they blew by my question on Canon's rationale for the 100-500 L lens being f7.1 during the Q&A.
Because the 100-500/4.5-7.1 is an L lens, and will probably cost more than the smaller and simpler 70-200/2.8, so over 3000$
And the non-L 600/11 may cost quite a bit less and it will also likely to be smaller and lighter.

Think of it this way, it is for people who can actually get by an f/11 lens with using all help from the sensor and lens based IS combined together (mainly static subjects or video on a tripod)
And due to the cost&size&weight they can put this in their bag for that "just in case" shot, which can make all the difference as opposed to not packing it in at all Similar to having a superzoom camera, with different compromises.
Everything is a compromise, it is a cliche, but it's still true.

Upvote 0
Still so disappointed that the 35mm f/1.2 and 70-135mm f/2.0 are not in the pipe at the moment.
Whatever, still want a new 5D Mark V instead.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sigma ported its 35mm f/1.2 eventually using just the EF mount contacts. For now, I own that in FE mount, and it's so good, I'm disappointed I'll be selling it in my move back to Canon to re-buy a 35mm f/1.4 L II - which previously astounded me. It is true, though, that the Sigma 35 f/1.2 is like carrying around a roasted chicken on the end of your camera.

Upvote 0
Well, I defended these lenses quite a bit so far. But if it is actively raining outside, the light may indeed be to bad to get much in terms of quality out of an f/11 lens anyway.
It depends, right? If they are stabilized with Dual OIS maybe they will work just fine in those conditions. They will be very interesting optics to say the least. I love the thought of having a tiny supertele prime for those times when I don't feel like using my monster 500 f/4.

Upvote 0
What will we do with a 600/800 F/11 lens :unsure::unsure:

KP, I've been thinking about this. It might be a simpler answer than people are supposing. It is true that landscape photographers eventually figure out that using something 100 to 600 in focal length can pick out amazing compositions that would never be possible in their typically wide images. It's usually the 2nd or 3rd piece of advice they'd give people starting out: don't forget to try a telephoto to experiment with distant compositions.

The thing is, if you are the proud owner of an $800 RP camera and a $400 lens, it's a big ask to tell them they should purchase something for $2,000 to $13,000 for the privilege of doing this. Perhaps Canon thinks it can sell a $1,200 telephoto to the landscape crowd.

The other application I can think of is kids sports. Johnny is in goal on the other side of the field. ISO 32,000 is fine when the picture is on facebook.

Upvote 0