Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lens SKU and kit information

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Not thinking it for this year. Maybe next during Black Friday if there is a good offer. Video does not interest me at all so for me it's 45mp (although my 5DsR has 50) with 12 to 20fps (OK this combined with CFExpress is a real advantage) and IBIS. But I got RF15-35 and RF24-70 only because they have IS so this is enough and my EOS R is already (very) good enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I suddenly realised the new cameras may not be immediately supported by Adobe. I wonder what happens with the raw files in PS and Lightroom.
I guess they will be VERY quick to implement this support. Given its a likely a very popular camera, it shouldnt take long. Also Canon has probably a big interest in making sure that Lightroom supports their cameras.
Though I am a bit more worried about Capture one, this is in my opinion the much better RAW converter, but its less mainstream and may take longer to implement support for these new RAW files...

I also wonder when Premiere and Davinci will support the RAW video files...

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I guess they will be VERY quick to implement this support. Given its a likely a very popular camera, it shouldnt take long. Also Canon has probably a big interest in making sure that Lightroom supports their cameras.
Though I am a bit more worried about Capture one, this is in my opinion the much better RAW converter, but its less mainstream and may take longer to implement support for these new RAW files...

Wow...did I miss something?

I didn't realize they were letting you shoot RAW video out of the coming R5...??? I know they have HDMI out, but I didn't know Canon was letting you shoot RAW video out of the camera....

That's pretty cool!!!

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

For the 1dx3 canon released plugins for popular editors.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Wow...did I miss something?

I didn't realize they were letting you shoot RAW video out of the coming R5...??? I know they have HDMI out, but I didn't know Canon was letting you shoot RAW video out of the camera....

That's pretty cool!!!
jeah, 8k raw. Its insane. Also insane data-rate... so I guess I will only use it for very special situations.
Also 4k 120 is truely a big thing for me :) we do a lot product-shots, eventfilm, imagefilms... I think thats great :)

Upvote 0
Use Capture One. Adobe's RAW handling is inferior in every aspect.
I'm not really into Capture One. Reviews say it's usually slower to adopt new camera formats, so migrating to Capture One would only worsen the situation with the prospective raw-processing workflow.
Also I use LR + PS and this combination is far ahead of Capture One in terms of the functionality.

Upvote 0
It's going to be an expensive year!

For me I've already settled on:
  1. R5
  2. RF 35mm 1.8
  3. RF 85mm f/2
  4. EF-R control wheel adapter
  5. 128GB CF Express, 128GB UHS-II SD, ProGrade CF Express + UHS II SD dual reader
  6. 2 extra batteries
  7. Rumored new 600EX-RT II replacement depending on what it entails, especially if it's a flash system made specially for the EOS R series
  8. RRS L-bracket for R5(this can't come soon enough)
And then after that, my immediate interest is in either the 28-70 F/2 or the RF 70-200 2.8. Just depends on how I actually find myself using the R5. If it turns into more of a vacation camera for me over my 1DX2, the RF 70-200 would be super easy to bring everywhere, but if the R5 turns into my new main paid-assignment workhorse over the 1DX2, I'll probably get the 28-70 F/2.
Luckily I have already bought the RF 28-70 F2 , the 70-200 F2.8 the 15-35 F2.8 , and a 512GB CFexpress card and a 128GB UHS-II SD card and their readers , but still need the batteries , camera , bracket and flash units , It will be a very expensive year as I want more lenses yet as well .

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I'm not really into Capture One. Reviews say it's usually slower to adopt new camera formats, so migrating to Capture One would only worsen the situation with the prospective raw-processing workflow.
Also I use LR + PS and this combination is far ahead of Capture One in terms of the functionality.
I used Adobe Lightroom since it was a beta version, along with Photoshop and it worked really well for me. I still have them and use them from time to time but with the latest CaptureOne iteration I find fewer and fewer reasons to go into Photoshop.
CaptureOne now has layers, it has quite good healing and cloning tools now and it's all parametric. All adjustments are tiny little text files containing those instructions, not huge tiff files, like you get from Photoshop.
To put it bluntly, using the "Auto" button in CaptureOne brings the files closer and faster to the desired output than Lightroom. Of course, that's only the first step; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and then I simply undo. More often than not, it does work quite well, and the file looks very close to Canon's DPP, which I think it's the best to mirror the intended output set in the camera.
So, I use all of them, DPP, CaptureOne and Lightroom, as I use macs and Windows computers. They're just tools, a bit fancier that hammers:)
I guess I could say the same about cameras themselves...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Reviewers are not photographers :D. LR = lagging way behind, PS can be used with C1.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Reviewers are not photographers :D. LR = lagging way behind, PS can be used with C1.
What about Lightroom’s DAM lags way behind? Just two days ago I had a client that asked for a specific image from four years ago but they wanted the pre edit file, it took literally seconds to find it and send it to them.

We should all understand that as different as we are as people we are as photographers and those differences bring on very different needs and challenges for our image file management and processing. Some people shoot vastly different numbers of files and have different management needs, some need processing capabilities another program many users prefer doesn’t have. There is no one fits all here and just because a bit of software suits your images and the way you work doesn’t mean that is the best for somebody else and their workflow.

Personally I have tried most options but I haven’t found anything that touches the breadth and deapth of the Adobe products and I am very happy with them and the price they charge for the capabilities I get.

Upvote 0