Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lens SKU and kit information

Prograde seams very solid and highly rated cards.
Just make sure the camera will work with them and support all the features as many people are finding the ProGrade CFExpress Gold cards will not support the video requirements on the 1DX MK III, so you know they won't meet the R5's. Their Cobalt line does seem to offer higher specs on the CFExpress side.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
That is a pathetic answer. What all in one photo management and editing program outperforms Lightroom and in what areas? I haven't found anything that competes with the capabilities of Lightroom and when you add in the unrivaled capabilities of Photoshop I haven't found anything to touch Adobe.

Do other RAW processors make 'better' one click renders? Maybe, but play with the controls and you can make pretty much any processor mimic any other processor if you know what you are doing and it is child's play to make that an import preset so you never have to do it again. Do other processors have slight differences in noise characteristics or color renditions, sure, but nothing is head and shoulders 'better' than anything else and again, skilled users of any program can mimic their preferred looks from other programs.

But tell me a RAW processing program that comes anywhere near the abilities and ease of use of the Library module in Lightroom, I haven't found one.

But be specific, in what areas does "LR = lagging way behind"? Because I listed one very important one where it is a standout leader.
Workflow is slow, tedious and not streamlined at all. It wasn't revised for maybe a decade and it shows. That's all. Time is money, and LR is lacking a fast workflow.

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Just make sure the camera will work with them and support all the features as many people are finding the ProGrade CFExpress Gold cards will not support the video requirements on the 1DX MK III, so you know they won't meet the R5's. Their Cobalt line does seem to offer higher specs on the CFExpress side.

Thanks for the info. So in principle which brand do you think savvy as far as the CFExpress for the R5 goes?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Workflow is slow, tedious and not streamlined at all. It wasn't revised for maybe a decade and it shows. That's all. Time is money, and LR is lacking a fast workflow.
In your personal opinion, however tens of thousands of professional users would disagree with you, there is very little you can't automate and if you use consoles rather than keyboards it can be incredibly quick. I've seen wedding studio pros shuttle through 10,000's of images a day each inspected, graded, culled, straightened, cropped, custom develop settings applied and keywords applied. If you can't do it fast it isn't the softwares fault.

I am a much more modest and probably more typical user, my Library is 100,000 images and everything is pretty much instant, but I took the time to optimize my Library setup and I use fast connections for RAW files and an internal SSD for Smart Previews. I can scroll through images, jump from one folder to another and pull up the Develop module and work if the RAW files are connected or not, and all with zero lag.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Wow...just wow.

Why would Canon do this? Just to shrink the new RF 70-200?

Would it have fit if the did the focusing internal like they do with the EF version?

Geez, for the EF version those TC's are VERY nice to have......

C
I had an exquisite copy of the ef 70-200 2.8 IS II. Tried two 1.4s, really disappointing.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I have had a lot of issues since Lexar changed ownership, 4 bad cards in a year, for me I decided the cost savings over another brand are not worth it

I've had bad luck with all kinds of cards - but the last one that literally fell apart for me was a SanDisk 256MB Extreme Pro SD card. Never had a Lexar card (old or new) come out of the card slot in multiple pieces.

Upvote 0
If you can't do it fast it isn't the softwares fault.
:DDD Oh man, you are so mistaken. If X software can do a thing in 3 clicks and Y software can do it in 1 clicks. Y software will make your life easier. Everything is else is useless optimization that takes time to reach a level Y software provides you free.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I've had bad luck with all kinds of cards - but the last one that literally fell apart for me was a SanDisk 256MB Extreme Pro SD card. Never had a Lexar card (old or new) come out of the card slot in multiple pieces.
May I ask where you bought the card from? I only use Sandisk Extremes and I have never had a failure of any kind with any of them. Knowing there are counterfits out there, I always buy from B&H.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
:DDD Oh man, you are so mistaken. If X software can do a thing in 3 clicks and Y software can do it in 1 clicks. Y software will make your life easier. Everything is else is useless optimization that takes time to reach a level Y software provides you free.
Obviously you missed the point, no problem, enjoy what you do.

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Canon has a list for the 1Dx3, I assume it would match the R5.

Hi, according to the Canon site, dpreview and canonrumors, at least for the 1DX Mark III, the only CEexpress that fully support also video raw) are Prograde Cobalt and Sandisk Extreme Pro. So actually Prograde seams perfectly compatibile at least with 1Dx3. And also to the R5 probably, correct?
As far as UHS-II V90 goes, do you think that Prograde UHS-II is fully OK and savvy for the R5 https://shop.progradedigital.com/products/prograde-digital-sdxc-uhs-ii-v90-300r-memory-card?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Just bought the ProGrade 325 GB Cobalt card in preparation! :D

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
May I ask where you bought the card from? I only use Sandisk Extremes and I have never had a failure of any kind with any of them. Knowing there are counterfits out there, I always buy from B&H.

This one was bought from a reputable camera dealer. I've bought plenty of cards and of course come across some *very* good counterfeit cards in my time. Having said that, I've also bought memory cards from cheap stalls in Hong Kong IT markets(usually brands such as Transcend or Silicon Power), and genuine or not these cards have been performing sterling service for years :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

While innovation is necessary, sometimes things just work and don't need to be changed for the sake of change. Take the wheel, for instance. But if reinventing it floats your hovercraft, go for it!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Edit:
Please elaborate. I did a quick search and found just one forum post indicating neither ProGrade nor Sandisk (the card bundled with the 1Dx III) supported RAW video recording as of Feb. 2020.

The Canon Website indicates that for RAW movie 5.5k60p Recording four CFExpress Cards are supported:
ProGrade Cobalt 325GB;
SanDisk Extreme Pro 512GB; and
Lexar 256 and 128 GB cards.

Interestingly, the SanDisk card bundled with the 1DX III is listed as "Not Supported."

Are there other issues or are you only referring to RAW video recording?

Chart can be found under the tab: "Possible Maximum Burst Rate of 1,000 images or more in Continuous Shooting"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Canon Website indicates that for RAW movie 5.5k60p Recording four CFExpress Cards are supported:
ProGrade Cobalt 325GB;
SanDisk Extreme Pro 512GB; and
Lexar 256 and 128 GB cards.
Interestingly, the SanDisk card bundled with the 1DX III is listed as "Not Supported."
Why would only certain size cards be listed?
I am assuming that the write speed would be the same for sandisk extreme pro 64/128/256GB for instance. I am looking at 128GB size cards for the R5 so is Lexar the only choice (assuming that 8k/30 will be equal/higher speed than 5.5k/60)?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I am assuming that the write speed would be the same for sandisk extreme pro 64/128/256GB for instance. I am looking at 128GB size cards for the R5 so is Lexar the only choice (assuming that 8k/30 will be equal/higher speed than 5.5k/60)?
Heck if I know.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
As I understand it, it’s write speed related, only the larger Sandisk cards do more than 1200MB/s, which I think is the cutoff Canon uses.

Upvote 0
As I understand it, it’s write speed related, only the larger Sandisk cards do more than 1200MB/s, which I think is the cutoff Canon uses.
I'm not a video guy but I pulled some information from the CFe datasheets.

The Prograde data sheet in the link has a handy table for 4k raw rates (bit depth and fps). It is strange that the table shows that all the Gold cards cannot handle 478MB/s (raw 4K/30fps @12 bit) although the 512GB-1T do handle 500MB/s avg

What would the raw 8K/30 10 bit data speed be and which cards would support it?
Still bursts could be more relevant for max write speeds but why aren't the card manufacturers listing avg write speed which video will be and avg read speed?

progradedigital dot com/products/cfexpress/
600MG/s Gold 120GB => Avg 145MB/s
1000MB/s Gold 256GB => 350MB/s
1000MB/s Gold 512GB-1T => 500MB/s
1400MB/s Cobalt 325GB => 1300MB/s
The avg to max speed difference is huge from 25% to 50% for gold but cobalt is pretty close to max.

Sandisk write speeds with no mention of sustained/average speed! link is:
shop dot westerndigital dot com/products/memory-cards/sandisk-extreme-pro-cfexpress-type-b#SDCFE-064G-ANCIN
64GB 800 MB/s
128/256GB 1200 MB/s
521GB 1400 MB/s

Lexar. I can't find a datasheet for them... only 64GB — 512GB Up to 1750MB/s read, up to 1000MB/s write.
If Lexar 128/256GB cards are okay for the 1DXiii (assumed) 1000MB/s then why aren't the Sandisk 128/256GB included?

Last edited:
Upvote 0