Canon EOS R5, EOS R6, EOS-1D X Mark III, RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS & RF 100-500 f/4.5-5.6L IS firmware released

HI! Who knows where this new feature is on the menu on the R5?

"LCD Backlight OFF option"

Thanks!
I found it in the Red menu, tab 7, bottom item "Shooting info. disp.", then Screen info. settings, option 6 at the bottom of that menu is "Screen Off". Once you enable option 6 you have to cycle through the settings with the Info button to get the LCD to turn off.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
That's a good question. There were some issues with certain CF express cards so that could be it. I've never heard of anyone pinning down the lockup to a certain CF express card, I seem to recall it happening with just a SD card inserted for one person. Some say it was fixed by a motherboard replacement, others not. I haven't heard of new buyers with the issue, so I tend to think it was hardware.

If you have the issue, ask Canon before warranty is up. Have them repair it to extend your warranty if its close.

Yeah that's true. It doesn't look like there is any consistent reason for the lockups. A bunch of people were claiming it was an issue with Sandisk CF Express cards and that Sony Tough cards didn't have lockups. But then that was disproven with some Sony Tough card users also having lockups.

As for me, I'm in Australia so have a 5 year warranty on the camera - no real rush for a repair just yet. I have had the camera since the start of August last year, taken about 12,000 photos and have had 3 lockups so far. It always seemed to occur directly after taking a photo when the camera was writing the data to the card or just after it had finished writing to the card. I have mainly been using a Sandisk 512gb CF express card, and don't believe I have had a lockup with my 128GB Sandisk SD card (but could just be because I used it much less). I was also on the 1.1.1 firmware for all of those lockups and only recently updated to 1.2.0.

Basically I have been waiting for this 1.3.0 firmware to see if it resolves my lockup issues before deciding to send my camera in for repair or not. I would prefer for the camera not to be taken apart for the mother board to be replaced unless it is 100% neccessary. It was really sad to hear that even replacing the mother board didn't seem to fix the lockup issue for some users... that actually made me question whether it was hardware or firmware causing the problem?

I guess we will all just have to wait and see what difference this new firmware makes! I have my fingers crossed..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I found it in the Red menu, tab 7, bottom item "Shooting info. disp.", then Screen info. settings, option 6 at the bottom of that menu is "Screen Off". Once you enable option 6 you have to cycle through the settings with the Info button to get the LCD to turn off.
Interesting. So what does this do exactly? Does it stop the LCD screen from coming on when you take your eye away from the viewfinder?

Upvote 0
Yes, it turns the LCD off completely.
Great, I was hoping this would be the case.

On the Canon Australia page they have a bit more detail about this update, and also talk about future updates to DPP. See below

Detail​

Firmware Version 1.3.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:
1. Adds [Canon Log 3] to [Canon Log settings]. You can select [Canon Log] or [Canon Log 3] from [Canon Log settings] in the Shooting tab of the menu.
- Support for RAW movies shot with Canon Log3 and RAW (Light) will be available in Cinema RAW Development and in Digital Photo Professional version in a future update.
- Digital Photo Professional will also support the processing of RAW movies shot in Canon Log3 settings and the application of Viewing LUT in future update.
2. Adds [RAW (Light)] to the movie recording size and [IPB (Light)] to 8K/4K to enable lower bit rate shooting. These settings can also be selected when RAW+MP4 is set.
3. Adds a high frame rate of 119.9 fps/100.0 fps to the Full HD movie recording size.
4. Adds [Electronic full-time MF] to the AF tab of the menu. When a lens is attached, manual focus adjustment is always possible with both One-shot AF and Servo AF.
5. Adds [6: Monitor Off] to [Shooting info. disp.: Screen info. settings] in the Shooting tab of the menu. This update makes it possible for the camera's monitor to be turned off at all times during shooting.
6. The transfer time (estimated value) now displays on the camera monitor during FTP transfer.
7. Adds the ability, when transferring images via FTP, to select protected images that failed to be transferred and protected images that have not yet been transferred and transfer them all at once.
8. Adds [Save/load cam settings on card] to the Function settings tab of the menu.
This allows you to save the camera settings to a card, or load a saved file and restore the camera to the settings you saved to a card.
9. Fixes a phenomenon, in which, in rare instances, the camera does not function normally when using certain CFexpress cards.
10. Fixes a phenomenon, in which in rare instances, the camera cannot function normally when the drive mode is set to "High-speed continuous shooting" to shoot still images continuously.
11. Fixes a phenomenon in which the power may become suspended when the camera is powered via USB for an extended period of time.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com

Now why on earth would this extremely useful feature be added to the R5...and not the R6? LOL I was really excited to see this get added in there on my R5...but why can't it be available on the R6? You're literally telling the LCD to turn off! haha

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
That's a good question. There were some issues with certain CF express cards so that could be it. I've never heard of anyone pinning down the lockup to a certain CF express card, I seem to recall it happening with just a SD card inserted for one person. Some say it was fixed by a motherboard replacement, others not. I haven't heard of new buyers with the issue, so I tend to think it was hardware.

If you have the issue, ask Canon before warranty is up. Have them repair it to extend your warranty if its close.
I read back when the r5 was released that deli in had to change their firmware as Canon had done something a little different (not wrong), so they tweaked theirs to adjust. I had problems with cfe reader, also firmware. Not had chance to test the, much, but now with this update I might revisit my two cfe cards

Upvote 0
I was secretly hoping the new lower quality mode would help with overheating on the R6 but at about 26 minutes mine is starting the give me the overheat warning.. The camera is definitely warm to the touch.
That’s interesting. How does that compare to your use on higher bitrate modes?

Upvote 0

Just got the R5 instead. I do feel the R6 a little bit limited for my use. Mainly for the higher pixel count, but even for the EVF and the screen on the back.
Was shooting some birds with my RF 100-500 just to try it out, and boy was the images fantastic, but the crop i want to do actually was somewhat limited.

Upvote 0