Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming in the next 24 hours

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
You misread me perfectly...it was ALL sarcasm.

It's a wonderful item, my very few complaints (1080/120 would be a nice add, and I had a couple of menu gripes and would like to be able to assign the useless-to-me rate button) are mere quibbles.
Perfect!
I thought I lost my mind.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
"1. Useful messaging is now displayed when [HDMI display: Camera+External monitor] and [Overheat control: on] settings are enabled. "

So Atomos Ninja will not improve recording times over internal??
NoLife just did a live stream testing the new firmware. It appears that using an external recorder with no cards still gives significantly extended times. He ended the live stream after an hour using battery but no cards and it was not overheating.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
This is what I wrote a while ago, where my resource at Canon told me a firmware would be available around the same day the R6 would be ready to ship out. You cats didn't believe me. Who's laughing now? (like my new avatar? :) )

The new avatar confused me a bit when reading the posts before I had my coffee. "Hey, that doesn't sound like privatebydesign, did he get hacked?". I never realized how much I depend on the avatar instead of the text below it :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

It's a wonderful item, my very few complaints (1080/120 would be a nice add, and I had a couple of menu gripes and would like to be able to assign the useless-to-me rate button) are mere quibbles.

I wonder if it's feasible for Canon to make all 1080p modes, including the 120fps one, have a HQ downsampled from LQ 4k variant. That should improve 1080p quite a bit for fine details.

Upvote 0

Besisika

Mar 25, 2014
Montreal

OK, I upgraded the firmware and like it.
I did not test the 8K because I will rarely use it, until they introduce that cinema raw thing.
I did test the 4K 120 because that was my concern.
I wanted 10min longer than prior and they gave it. Let me explain.
When I turned on 4K120, the timer gives me the same time; 7min29sec. The behavior of the camera is not the same though.
I do not shoot like Gordon does (or suggests in his test). I mainly shoot concerts (choir and band - both live and rehearsal) and I usually have 30min during band setup and choir warm up. That is when I desperately need the 4K 120. It allows me to grab B-rolls effectively without bringing cumbersome tripod, monopod or even a gimbal. I grab a bunch of 5 to 15 sec clips and I use 120fps to replace a slider. 4K 120 replaces it perfectly for non-moving subjects. It delivers nice look as well for moving subject. I use it mainly to shoot hands and mouths when interacting with musical gear during setup. That would be guitar tuning, connecting keyboards, setting up drum set, testing the microphone and so on. I shoot mainly closeups, from different angles, different crops, different camera movements and I take 3-5 clips for every subject. Every set of 3-5 clips are done very quickly (almost no break in between), then I move to next subject. That gives roughly 10-20sec break, then another set of 3-5 clips, then move on.
When testing the firmware before the upgrade, I was able to use the camera for 10min max before getting the alarm. After the upgrade I was able to get 20min. Which is plenty for me. I usually have only 30min anyway and 20min shooting time is enough given that I shot only 4K 120 during my test. Usually, I combine 4K 120 and 4K 60. I have no issue with 4K 60 because I have 2T of SSD with the Ninja V. The problem was with the 4K120. The firmware fixed that. In total, I was able to shoot 100GB before getting my first alarm.
I took off the battery, CFexpress card, opened doors and removed lens for 5 min and I was able to shoot 5min more to finish my 30min test, but I could go more.
The bottom line is, it is working well for me. I do realize that everybody uses his gear differently. That is how I use mine.

When it comes to Ninja V, it doesn't give me any info, other than no card in camera. That is same as before.

I wish two more things from Canon.
1 - They used to have a "Custom Quick Control menu" on the 5D IV but they didn't put it in the R5. I desperately need it. The Q menu differs greatly from the actual menu in the sense that the actual menu shows up in Ninja V, while the Q menu doesn't. When I shoot a lead singer, I like a sudden punch in to show facial expression for 10 sec, then pull back out. With 1DX II, I had to use two cameras to do it. With the R5, I can achieve the same effect using the crop associated with IBIS. Fortunately IBIS is in the Q menu and changing from standard IBIS to enhanced can be done in the press of a button and gives me the sudden punch in very nicely. Nobody (other than the pixel wisdom) will notice that it is slightly softer. I tested it multiple time. However, it would be much better to do it with the actual 1.6 crop mode, if I could just add it to the quick menu. I really wish them to add it whether in the custom quick control menu, or as an option in the custom buttons.
2 - I want a 24mm macro, similar to the small 35mm RF. It would be small and effective for handheld setup. Crops would give 24mm, 35mm and 50mm (roughly), which are the focal lengths that I use when shooting band rehearsal in very tight place. By changing the crop mode (and IBIS) I would be able to get a wide view from the eye level, normal view from below and closeup from the side when targeting the fingers of a guitarist for example.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I did not test the 8K because I will rarely use it, until they introduce that cinema raw thing.
When I turned on 4K120, the timer gives me the same time; 7min29sec. The behavior of the camera is not the same though.
I do not shoot like Gordon does (or suggests in his test). I mainly shoot concerts (choir and band - both live and rehearsal) and I usually have 30min during band setup and choir warm up. That is when I desperately need the 4K 120. It allows me to grab B-rolls effectively without bringing cumbersome tripod, monopod or even a gimbal. I grab a bunch of 5 to 15 sec clips and I use 120fps to replace a slider. 4K 120 replaces it perfectly for non-moving subjects. It delivers nice look as well for moving subject. I use it mainly to shoot hands and mouths when interacting with musical gear during setup. That would be guitar tuning, connecting keyboards, setting up drum set, testing the microphone and so on. I shoot mainly closeups, from different angles, different crops, different camera movements and I take 3-5 clips for every subject. Every set of 3-5 clips are done very quickly (almost no break in between), then I move to next subject. That gives roughly 10-20sec break, then another set of 3-5 clips, then move on.
When testing the firmware before the upgrade, I was able to use the camera for 10min max before getting the alarm. After the upgrade I was able to get 20min. Which is plenty for me. I usually have only 30min anyway and 20min shooting time is enough given that I shot only 4K 120 during my test. Usually, I combine 4K 120 and 4K 60. I have no issue with 4K 60 because I have 2T of SSD with the Ninja V. The problem was with the 4K120. The firmware fixed that. In total, I was able to shoot 100GB before getting my first alarm.
I took off the battery, CFexpress card, opened doors and removed lens for 5 min and I was able to shoot 5min more to finish my 30min test, but I could go more.
The bottom line is, it is working well for me. I do realize that everybody uses his gear differently. That is how I use mine.

When it comes to Ninja V, it doesn't give me any info, other than no card in camera. That is same as before.

1 - They used to have a "Custom Quick Control menu" on the 5D IV but they didn't put it in the R5. I desperately need it. The Q menu differs greatly from the actual menu in the sense that the actual menu shows up in Ninja V, while the Q menu doesn't. When I shoot a lead singer, I like a sudden punch in to show facial expression for 10 sec, then pull back out. With 1DX II, I had to use two cameras to do it. With the R5, I can achieve the same effect using the crop associated with IBIS. Fortunately IBIS is in the Q menu and changing from standard IBIS to enhanced can be done in the press of a button and gives me the sudden punch in very nicely. Nobody (other than the pixel wisdom) will notice that it is slightly softer. I tested it multiple time. However, it would be much better to do it with the actual 1.6 crop mode, if I could just add it to the quick menu. I really wish them to add it whether in the custom quick control menu, or as an option in the custom buttons.
2 - I want a 24mm macro, similar to the small 35mm RF. It would be small and effective for handheld setup. Crops would give 24mm, 35mm and 50mm (roughly), which are the focal lengths that I use when shooting band rehearsal in very tight place. By changing the crop mode (and IBIS) I would be able to get a wide view from the eye level, normal view from below and closeup from the side when targeting the fingers of a guitarist for example.

Thanks for sharing. I could only do "appt" tests today, which I shared in the Gordon Laing thread, but for indoor shooting in a reasonable environment, then I would agree with you, it gives you better recording and cool down

A few things I did note, and maybe this might help you for high bitrates that you can't do on the Atomos..

I found a simple USB fan indoor cooled the body down in 15 mins. So before your shoots, if you think it might take longer, then a small USB fan (assuming the environment is not warm) may well help give you a few more minutes recording, or bring the temp down quicker. Outside on the balcony, in 30 degrees, the fan was better than just leaving it to cool down, but I want to do some tests out in the field so to speak.

Finally, found when shooting outdoors that the end of the lens (as attached to the body) also got warm - so perhaps leaving it on may also cool it marginally quicker.

Upvote 0

Besisika

Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Thanks for sharing. I could only do "appt" tests today, which I shared in the Gordon Laing thread, but for indoor shooting in a reasonable environment, then I would agree with you, it gives you better recording and cool down

A few things I did note, and maybe this might help you for high bitrates that you can't do on the Atomos..

I found a simple USB fan indoor cooled the body down in 15 mins. So before your shoots, if you think it might take longer, then a small USB fan (assuming the environment is not warm) may well help give you a few more minutes recording, or bring the temp down quicker. Outside on the balcony, in 30 degrees, the fan was better than just leaving it to cool down, but I want to do some tests out in the field so to speak.

Finally, found when shooting outdoors that the end of the lens (as attached to the body) also got warm - so perhaps leaving it on may also cool it marginally quicker.
Didn't think about that. I will check it out and let you know.

Upvote 0
They used to have a "Custom Quick Control menu" on the 5D IV but they didn't put it in the R5. I desperately need it.

I wouldn't say I desperately need it, but I did think that the custom quick control feature was nice. I do think that there may be too many variants of the same concept in the interface. You have a custom set of menus, a Q menu, and this thing too in the 5d4. My preference would be to allow much more customization of the q menu, including having multiple presses of the q button to get multiple pages. These could even be linked to custom menus. Then you'd have just one conceptual framework to have in your head.

Upvote 0

Besisika

Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I wouldn't say I desperately need it, but I did think that the custom quick control feature was nice. I do think that there may be too many variants of the same concept in the interface. You have a custom set of menus, a Q menu, and this thing too in the 5d4. My preference would be to allow much more customization of the q menu, including having multiple presses of the q button to get multiple pages. These could even be linked to custom menus. Then you'd have just one conceptual framework to have in your head.
That would work perfectly for me.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020

Have you reached out to Canon Japan and your local Canon about the Custom Q Menu? If this is a big deal for you then you can help make it a reality by communicating this to Canon.
I sent my feedback to Canon Japan and Canon USA yesterday. Both have already responded that they logged the requests.

Upvote 0

Besisika

Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Have you reached out to Canon Japan and your local Canon about the Custom Q Menu? If this is a big deal for you then you can help make it a reality by communicating this to Canon.
I sent my feedback to Canon Japan and Canon USA yesterday. Both have already responded that they logged the requests.
I didn't realize that. Yes, I will later today.

Upvote 0