Canon EOS-R5 images

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Here are some images using my new R5. Overall, could not be happier. Great AF performance include animal eye AF on BIF. I mean really? It was not long ago AF did not exist and new we are shooting with Animal Eye AF; just wow! Image quality and detail is just stunning. No rolling shutter issues at all using electronic shutter on BIF. EVF is awesome with no delay or blackout for tracking. I am more than pleased to this point.
Great shots, the one of the pair in flight is fantastic! Tell me, is it just me, or do you also feel like it's cheating using the R5 the focus tracking is so good? :LOL:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
Take heart landscape photographers. I wanted to test the R5 on waterfalls handheld. I've never practiced handholding like this since in the past it would have been an exercise in futility. But now it's possible and I'm sure as my technique improves, so will the images. But, for a first try I'd say not bad. BTW these are ~1:1 views which is how small I had to make it to upload.

0.5sec at f8.0 iso 125
0R9A0130crop.jpg

1/4sec at f8.0 iso 160
0R9A0129crop.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
A few more images from the R5 and a session with some skimming swallow-tailed kites. I am really liking the AF and the image quality coming from this camera. Detail from the 45mp sensor is just stunning.

Attachments

• STK skimming hard pull up tail spread head on R5 III FS.jpg
    STK skimming hard pull up tail spread head on R5 III FS.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 120
  • STK skimming hard pull up tail spread head on R5 II alt comp FS.jpg
    STK skimming hard pull up tail spread head on R5 II alt comp FS.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 113
  • STK skimming hard pull up tail spread head on R5 alt comp FS.jpg
    STK skimming hard pull up tail spread head on R5 alt comp FS.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 115
  • STK skimming hard and close R5 alt comp FS.jpg
    STK skimming hard and close R5 alt comp FS.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 203
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
We've had a lot of wildfire smoke and I haven't been able to get out to good light or skies often, but have gathered a few ok shots with the R5 in some of my favorite photo subjects: Astro, landscapes, etc. Now I just need some decent severe weather so I can get some storm images.

These are all lightly edited and downsized to ~20% size of original for web. The originals are quite detailed. Shadow recovery is incredible. Noise is of a better quality to clean than previous bodies I've owned; Less color noise in deep shadow, just a gradual loss of detail. Have also noticed that on top of being able to handhold much slower and have such easy workflow for everything from focus stacking to wildlife tracking, I seem to be able to skip GND filters and still protect highlights without nearly the issues of the 5D4, which I think is still a great camera. No great effort on any of these photos, so I am eager to see what can be done when I get out in some really amazing conditions and do some more careful work and brackets.A (4).jpgA (7).jpgA (9).jpgA (10).jpgA (13).jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
These look fantastic! How is the workflow for your type of work?
Thanks! It's been a bit tricky with the R5 not having raw support from Adobe Lightroom yet, but so far going great despite the big file sizes.

Start to finish after a shoot like this basically goes like this:
  1. Ingest all raw files from cards into Photo Mechanic
  2. Tag my picks from the full raw take in Photo Mechanic
  3. Caption picked images in Photo Mechanic
  4. For R5 .cr3 files: select files by "type" to narrow out the .CR3s, copy those into a separate "picks" folder within the main raw shoot folder
  5. Use Adobe DNG converter to convert all .cr3 files in the "picks" folder to .DNG
  6. Drag all the .cr2s from my 1dx2 and .DNG from the "picks" folder to Adobe Lightroom
  7. Process and make a final selection of photos, export
  8. Upload to the newspaper's FTP in Filezilla
The R5 adds 3 steps to that since Adobe doesn't support the raws yet, and ingesting all of my raw files takes longer than it with the 1DX2, but I can't complain and it doesn't add far too much time. Overall this whole process only tends to take me 30-ish minutes after a shoot, depending on the number of picks from the shoot.

EDIT: Just found out Adobe added the profiles. Finally!! All of the additional steps are now moot, same as the 1DX2!

Since I'm replying, I might as well toss in this foggy sunrise from the other morning. R5, RF 70-200, F/2.8, 1/60th, ISO 1250. Downsized as the original file was too large to upload.
081720-Codorus-Fog-Sunrise-2-downsized.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Some recent pictures from Alaska. Was mainly a trip to get familiar with the camera and try out my set up of button configuration (already made one change after accidentally hitting a button and changing Servo to OneShot- and ruining a bunch of pictures!) What was I even thinking when I put that useless option on the back of my camera?!?!? It must have been late one night when I still had one more button I could use:rolleyes:--that's gone, gone, gone!! Nothing especially remarkable here but a good shakedown trip.

Catherine

Attachments

• Bear Running in Water.jpg
    Bear Running in Water.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 192
  • Bear Lunge.jpg
    Bear Lunge.jpg
    914.7 KB · Views: 201
  • BabyBearFollowsMom.jpg
    BabyBearFollowsMom.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 202
  • Two Little Bears.jpg
    Two Little Bears.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Baby Bear in GrassGrizzly in Woods.jpg
    Baby Bear in GrassGrizzly in Woods.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 199
  • Walking Bear BW.jpg
    Walking Bear BW.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 207
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Some recent pictures from Alaska. Was mainly a trip to get familiar with the camera and try out my set up of button configuration (already made one change after accidentally hitting a button and changing Servo to OneShot- and ruining a bunch of pictures!) What was I even thinking when I put that useless option on the back of my camera?!?!? It must have been late one night when I still had one more button I could use:rolleyes:--that's gone, gone, gone!! Nothing especially remarkable here but a good shakedown trip.

Catherine
Very nice and I sure would love to be there. I had a trip planned to Bella Coola three years ago to shoot bears fishing salmon in September but first it was forest fires, next it was a heart issue and now it's virus. Is your travel distance great?

I think you're right - the R5 isn't going to benefit much from oneshot. Did you use animal eye detect?

Jack

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019

Catherine
Thank you for sharing these!!! The bear lunging shot is my favorite.

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
I think you're right - the R5 isn't going to benefit much from oneshot. Did you use animal eye detect?

Jack
I tried out all the various focusing options. Intrestingly the animal eye detect had difficulty with the bears--they have tiny eyes buried in furry faces and the eye detect would frequently pick the nose instead. It worked well with the magpies and the merganser ducks. If the bears were very close it was much easier, but it is more accurate on birds.
Catherine

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Some sanderlings fighting out at the beach this past weekend. Only brought the RF 70-200 to save weight, instead of my usual 100-400 with 1.4x, but the 1.6x crop mode didn't make me miss the 100-400 that much honestly.

EOS R5, RF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS, 1.6x crop mode engaged, f/2.8, 1/8000th, ISO 200. Electronic shutter at 20 FPS, animal eye detection focus.

082220-Emily-Assateague-Island-24.jpg

082220-Emily-Assateague-Island-27.jpg

082220-Emily-Assateague-Island-71.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Some sanderlings fighting out at the beach this past weekend. Only brought the RF 70-200 to save weight, instead of my usual 100-400 with 1.4x, but the 1.6x crop mode didn't make me miss the 100-400 that much honestly.

EOS R5, RF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS, 1.6x crop mode engaged, f/2.8, 1/8000th, ISO 200. Electronic shutter at 20 FPS, animal eye detection focus.

Beautiful captures, but I'm seeing a surprising amount of noise/grain for ISO 200. Is this related to electronic shutter? 1.6 crop? Something else?

Also, what is the advantage of using the crop mode? Couldn't we achieve the same crop in post if desired?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Beautiful captures, but I'm seeing a surprising amount of noise/grain for ISO 200. Is this related to electronic shutter? 1.6 crop? Something else?

Also, what is the advantage of using the crop mode? Couldn't we achieve the same crop in post if desired?

Thanks!
For a start, cropping in makes the pixel-level noise more visible. 1.6x + additional cropping in post means these are pretty heavy crops, I'm more than happy with the noise considering that, and my trip wasn't for photography or else I would have brought my 100-400 + 1.4x to take these images uncropped.

The advantage of the crop mode is that it throws away the rest of the data, which makes the files only 17 megapixels and a lot less data that I wouldn't be using anyway. 1.6x crop mode also gives you an endless buffer in raw in all modes, which makes it easier to shoot as many long 20FPS bursts as you want for as many seconds as you want. Since the files are only 17 megapixels, they're also only like 18 megabyte raw files, which gives me like 4000+ images on a 128gb card, vs roughly 2000 images full res at 45 mp.

The 1.6x crop also makes the subjects bigger in the viewfinder, which makes it easier to focus in general and easier for the camera to track focus on a smaller subject.

I mainly prefer it when I already know I'm going to have to crop in, like with small birds or other faraway subjects, especially considering how much space it saves on the cards. I'd rather have 4000 cropped images with room to space than shoot 2000 full res and be wasting so much space for data I don't need. The crop mode is still 5033 pixels, so I haven't been bothered by having to crop in additionally on top of that when the end result is just mainly for social media, that resolution is very close to my 1DX Mark II anyway/

I have crop mode mapped to a button on the back, so it's incredibly easy to swap between full frame and crop if a subject gets closer. It's honestly one of my favorite parts of the R5, because I feel like I have a great 5D-level full frame camera as well as a high-end 7D crop camera when I need that extra reach.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Upvote 0