Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Maybe they leaked this "subscription" thing to see how people react. And we are doing them a favor just discussing about it.

On the other hand this is what I do too :LOL:

And this is a forum. So people discuss!

But seriously I do not believe they will do that.

Let's hope they will make most of the improvements we mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I had hoped for a camera with at least 60 mpx.
So if it really is 45 mpx it represents, for me, a useless purchase.
It would be the trick that breaks the camel's back after the half-disappointment of the new 24-105/2.8 which requires software corrections to remedy the terrible distortion and chromatic aberration.
I'm honestly thinking of abandoning Canon to switch to Leica SL (SL3 will be released soon with 60 mpx and 15 exposure latitude apertures) with its Apo lenses.
Good luck. I hope Leica lives up to your standards.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I had hoped for a camera with at least 60 mpx.
So if it really is 45 mpx it represents, for me, a useless purchase.
It would be the trick that breaks the camel's back after the half-disappointment of the new 24-105/2.8 which requires software corrections to remedy the terrible distortion and chromatic aberration.
I'm honestly thinking of abandoning Canon to switch to Leica SL (SL3 will be released soon with 60 mpx and 15 exposure latitude apertures) with its Apo lenses.
You signed up here today to say that? Shouldn't you have signed up on the Leica Rumors forum instead?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You signed up here today to say that? Shouldn't you have signed up on the Leica Rumors forum instead?
Yes. I've been a loyal Canon user for decades with thousands of dollars invested in Canon, and I just signed up with Canon Rumors to tell everyone that I am so disappointed with the RF 24-105/2.8L and the prospect of an R5II with only 45 MP that I'm switching to SoLeiKon because they're so much better than Canon.

Bye.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yes, the company that has nearly 50% of the market is 'desperate'. Mmmmmkay. :rolleyes:
Definitely far from "desperate"....
Frankly, Adobe is raking it in with ~USD2.5B/quarter revenue from Creative Cloud products. It will be interesting to see their performance when they release 2023 results in March. I still believe that LR/PS is good value for money but Da Vinci Resolve is the best (and cheapest) video editor vs Pro Logic and Premiere Pro.
https://petapixel.com/2023/03/16/adobes-record-revenue-is-why-software-subscriptions-are-inevitable/

Upvote 0
Is that for new users? I'm still paying what I paid in 2013 for the LR/PS plan.

View attachment 215124
The price in Australia (in AUD but paid to Adobe Singapore so the credit card charges a separate currency fee) has steadily gone up. This would be justified by exchange rate changes but.... I have no doubt that they won't reduce the price if the exchange rates go the other way in the future.

Upvote 0
This is where I am. EF->R transition is the time to consider if a system switch is right. The R lens pricing, 3rd party lens lock out, teething issues (heat, focus etc) have me hanging on to my 5D IV for now.
We may complain about certain bugs/feature sets but there is no way that I would go back to a 5Div! The overall benefits of moving to mirrorless are so much better than DLSR.

The only downside I've found is that battery life is lower but one battery will still last a couple of thousand shots for an indoor sports event and rare to change batteries for a night sky shooting session. Always carry a spare is good practice anyway for DLSR or mirrorless.

Sticking with Canon was a no-brainer for me due to my EF lenses but I have slowly switched over to RF lenses when the pricing and budget was right due to their advantages (size/weight/speed/focal length etc). I am still happy with my EF lenses but the extra 2mm for the RF14-35/4 is at the back of my mind as my EF16-35/4 and no difference in front filter thread. Manatees at the end of the year and maybe whales in Tonga would mean that my EF8-15/4 wouldn't be used as much underwater.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
There's nothing inherently magical about 45mp. It is used widely because of 8K. If you do not shoot 8K videos, 45mp is not particularly better than other resolutions.

Moreover, let's not confuse "making sense for everyone" with "making sense for someone". Some people are happy with 12mp, some are with 24mp, some are with 30mp, some are with 45mp and some would be with >45mp. Every resolution makes sense to someone
A person gave their opinion. I said it makes sense. That was all. Was that really so hard to understand??

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I'm sure we'll see that in the R1, but I suspect Canon will reserve it for the top tier of bodies. That would be unfortunate, but very Canon-like. Say it with me...AF point-linked spot metering.

I am certainly not holding my breath, but the interface for controlling modern mirrorless AF systems is starting to feel woefully inadequate. The touch screen is pretty awkward and the joystick just feels like driving a Ferrari with the steering wheel from a pinto.

Then again, if AI auto focus really is good enough maybe it would be a non issue. If early reviews show they've pulled it off, I might be a day 1 buyer after all.

Upvote 0
I am certainly not holding my breath, but the interface for controlling modern mirrorless AF systems is starting to feel woefully inadequate. The touch screen is pretty awkward and the joystick just feels like driving a Ferrari with the steering wheel from a pinto.

Then again, if AI auto focus really is good enough maybe it would be a non issue. If early reviews show they've pulled it off, I might be a day 1 buyer after all.
There's the eye-controlled focus, but it may never take off again, or be restricted to high end bodies.

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
A person gave their opinion. I said it makes sense. That was all. Was that really so hard to understand??
Some posters here keep saying things such as a certain amount (insert here your favorite number) of megapixels is right and everyone that disagrees and would like more does that because they either do not understand or they are addicted to numbers or other less than endearing reasons.

If you meant that it made sense to you, as opposed to it makes sense in absolute terms, then apologies for misunderstanding

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
This is where I am. EF->R transition is the time to consider if a system switch is right. The R lens pricing, 3rd party lens lock out, teething issues (heat, focus etc) have me hanging on to my 5D IV for now. I think computational features will be increasingly important, that'll really need some sort of ability for 3rd party 'apps' on the phone and I don't see Canon adapting gracefully to that (or at all) so I'm concerned I'll have to switch to get future features I'd love. (ex: Goal, ambient light balanced strobe for action in a large area, 10fps+ at reasonable flash power, ambient light trains behind subject: App that provides 2nd curtain sync to wireless monolight [Canon restricted feature], and rotates between a bank of monolights [say, 2-4 Einsteins?] or possibly two banks) That's the sort of thing I don't expect Canon to add as a built in feature, but that'd you'd need cooperating code in the camera to do well and ideally you'd want some camera<->strobe coordination.
On a side note, is there a spec list that shows which Canon cameras allow 2nd curtain sync via 3rd party monolight trigger? I've missed that feature since I retired my 1D Mk II (and can't justify 1D prices for my current hobby only situation).
You seem to have some very specific needs, so I'm not sure who can meet them.

But if you rent or buy an R5 or R6II plus adatper, I think you'll be in love. I couldn't have imagined a camera I'd like better than my 5DIII. One weekend with the R6 and I haven't really touched old trusty in years. No need to switch lenses if you don't want to. I have a few RF lenses, but mostly stick with my EF stuff. They work flawlessly. Prior to vII you do take a speed hit in mechanical shutter mode though. It'll be ~8fps for most of them instead of 14.

Focus system between Sony and Canon is basically identical in performance. Nikon close behind. I don't think you'll see anything major benefit in that area if you switch. Heat issues are largely overblown - imagine never having the ability to shoot 8k before in your life, and then abandoning a whole brand because the 8K camera can't shoot continuously for enough hours. And later firmware updates have extended the time a lot anyway. Can't comment on apps and what you are trying to do there.

But for real, an R6,5,6II, or even 8 will breathe new life in to your Canon gear.

Brian

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Some posters here keep saying things such as a certain amount (insert here your favorite number) of megapixels is right and everyone that disagrees and would like more does that because they either do not understand or they are addicted to numbers or other less than endearing reasons.
They're all wrong. The correct number of megapixels is 42. Because that's the answer to the most important question.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Sep 17, 2014
Is that measured against the default camera app for the phone or against specific photo centric apps like Halide? I'm encouraged that Canon showed the DPAF-to-depth-map feature during a recent show, but that's still not done in camera :(

I'm just saying that most of my friends and family I know think that cameras are hard to use and smartphones have much better image quality in full auto mode. Canon started now to add some computational features to cameras like the R50.

Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
Love the decision to leave the megapixels alone. And also laughed out loud at subscription. That would be a dead feature for me. I'm fine paying for new improvements on a Mark II, but I'm owning them, not renting it on a subscription. The only people buying camera bodies anymore are all like us, and I don't see that landing well.

Upvote 0