Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

andrewmckay

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2020
Non-repudiation based subscription so you can prove your shot wasn't AI generated (as well as other things like location and settings) gets my guess. I'd pay something reasonable for that and it makes sense that it'd be subscription based too since it would likely require a registry and/or tracking method (LoRaWAN? Helium?).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes, I believe a $4K camera should match the best smartphones in full auto image quality and computational features.
Is that measured against the default camera app for the phone or against specific photo centric apps like Halide? I'm encouraged that Canon showed the DPAF-to-depth-map feature during a recent show, but that's still not done in camera :(

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2019
While I personally don't really care if the R5 Mark II brings a higher resolution over the original R5 (I'm leaning more towards keeping it unchanged), historically every new generation of the 5 series has come with a higher resolution; 13 >> 21 >> 22 >> (50) >> 30 >> 45...

Given that the renewal cycle of the 5 series was usually about 4 years, Canon certainly took into account its view of the situation in the next 4 years as well.

So, while it doesn't mean much to me personally, I think the upcoming R5 Mark II will have at least a slightly higher resolution than the current model.

As far as the subscription is concerned, I hope that the hardware and firmware of the R5 Mark II will be complete, and that the subscription may only refer to some kind of computer software that would further improve the work with files from the R5 Mark II, i.e. that the free (and, unfortunately, in my opinion, very bad Canon software so far) to be replaced by some new, better, faster and more advanced software, but with a subscription.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
That sound too dangerous to me. How about having to enter a password every X times it's turned on, no password can't use the camera.
That would work too, and be better than internet connection.

As long as there is a foolproof way to set this up that this won't pop up when shooting is needed. For example everytime the password is entered (you can enter anytime), you're good for the next X months, and it shows the numbers of days before the next deadline at each startup.

So for the body, it would work. Now it is a bit more tricky with the lenses. To stop robbery, you have to lock the lenses too, again in a way that does not suck for the user and doe snot prevent shooting, but will inevitably lock the gear after a reasonable time.
Needs a bit of brainstorming, but certainly doable.

Upvote 0
The debate about sensors that can't resolve lens or resolve more than the lens sounds pointless to me.

You get the lens you can carry and pay for, same with the body. Resolution will be limited by both.
The sensor can always cram more MP (APS-C running close to 100MP FF) with little impact, but more resolution in the lens means more glass, larger design, much more expensive.

So it make sense to me the sensor should simply out-resolve all the current lens, simply because it is the easiest limitation to remove.

Now, there are good reasons not to want too much MPs, some very valid such as diffraction, other than can be managed like too big files (use CRAW).

But in term of pure resolution, since we'll always be limited by the lens, it is simply better to remove the other part of the equation by having a sensor that out-resolve everything.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
That would work too, and be better than internet connection.

As long as there is a foolproof way to set this up that this won't pop up when shooting is needed. For example everytime the password is entered (you can enter anytime), you're good for the next X months, and it shows the numbers of days before the next deadline at each startup.

So for the body, it would work. Now it is a bit more tricky with the lenses. To stop robbery, you have to lock the lenses too, again in a way that does not suck for the user and doe snot prevent shooting, but will inevitably lock the gear after a reasonable time.
Needs a bit of brainstorming, but certainly doable.
I'm afraid the day will come when we'll need a password to open the door of our fridge.
Please, no passwords for cameras and lenses. Enough is enough!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hopefully the subscription based idea will only be for features that people rarely need, but I would prefer there to be no subscription at all.
Maybe a subscription would be based on a cloud AI processing service to eliminate noise that would only be available for the R5 II and R1.
Canon already has something like that in DPP4: 'cloud' noise removal as a paid, subscription feature.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
On the whole, I don’t like subscription model, but for cameras, and even phones, it could make sense if (a) the hardware is future-proof enough to last for 15-20yrs – excellent weather sealing, high mpx stacked sensor, etc; (b) hardware replacement with advanced version is possible (eg. upgrade of sensor);
So…like any modern laptop or smartphone. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
The subscription model is already beginning to show some fatigue, as TV streamers offer a lower subscription price with advertising v without advertising. Here's your real nightmare: turning on your discounted-price R52 and watching 30 seconds of ads on that 3-inch display from Pepsi, B&H Photo, Ozempic, etc. An ad-free R52 will still be instant on, but you’ll pay more for that privilege. Camera displays may be the final frontier for advertisers. Yuck.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Nikon have a 45 mp sensor since the release of the d850 in 2017. Thew z7 has 45 mp, so does the z7 ii and also the z8 and z9.

Perhaps 45 mp is somewhat of a sweetspot.
45 MP is the minimum for DCI 8K.
That was why Canon supposedly chose it.
I have no idea why Nikon chose it but Canon was already at 50 MP.
The Z 9 was also in response to the 50 MP a1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I'm leery of the claims of "AI" as just being marketing jargon. They tried to claim previously "deep learning AF" when it was actually anything but.
It was exactly that.
Deep learning is just a higher degree of machine learning.
It is a term of art.
I doubt most lay people know what it means or even care.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
On the whole, I don’t like subscription model, but for cameras, and even phones, it could make sense if (a) the hardware is future-proof enough to last for 15-20yrs – excellent weather sealing, high mpx stacked sensor, etc; (b) hardware replacement with advanced version is possible (eg. upgrade of sensor); (c) a reasonable pricing for each feature; and (d) allow for once-off purchase of features that come with 15-20yrs of updates. In this case, I pay for what I want/need rather than have to pay for half the features that I don’t use. For instance, I don’t shoot videos much, if at all, so a basic set of video features (whatever basic mean to the manufacturer) plus fairly full stills features would do nicely for me. Overall, it might make economic/usage sense for the consumers, but not sure if it does for the manufacturer, as new bodies will not need to come onstream so frequently, potentially reducing profits. Anyway, Canon probably knows what it is doing and will come to a decision that prop up its margins, hopefully not too much at the expense of the consumers.
I would definitely prefer to buy a subscription instead of buying a new camera because my current camera is no longer supported.

Upvote 0