Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

I think everyone is getting ahead of themselves on this, Canon hasn't even done anything yet, lets wait before we decide to criticize and opt out of anything.
I agree - for all we know this will be a subscription for use of AI tools after a photo has been taken for processing on one of Canon's software packages, as I've read in here Canon has done that before (I could be wrong). For instance, building a depth map from a taken photo using proprietary software for those who need it - I could see that being more palatable. Certainly my aversion for subscription services is very strong, and I do hope that Canon veers away from making subscription a fundamental requirement for access to the R5ii - I may be one of the last people who still buys their phones outright. I have a pretty good idea of where my line is for subscription tolerance rests, and it may indeed be lower than others. Obviously even the mention of a subscription has myself (and others in here) worrying about worst case scenario, but we're not there yet. My mind isn't made up until I see the offering, if this rumour comes true at all.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
They just look very greedy.
And profitable, hence the attraction of other businesses. But again, I do think Adobe walked into this with the market cornered so there was more pressure to accept a subscription. Other subscription services trying to operate without the market cornered may not find as much success.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I guess the other piece that would be interesting to consider if the R5ii moved exclusively to a subscription model, is it would likely change the economics of how some people buy cameras - you wouldn't be able to sell your body to recoup some of that investment when you buy a new body. It could have long-lasting impacts on the cost of ownership over time depending on how you manage camera purchases.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I agree - for all we know this will be a subscription for use of AI tools after a photo has been taken for processing on one of Canon's software packages, as I've read in here Canon has done that before (I could be wrong). For instance, building a depth map from a taken photo using proprietary software for those who need it - I could see that being more palatable. Certainly my aversion for subscription services is very strong, and I do hope that Canon veers away from making subscription a fundamental requirement for access to the R5ii - I may be one of the last people who still buys their phones outright. I have a pretty good idea of where my line is for subscription tolerance rests, and it may indeed be lower than others. Obviously even the mention of a subscription has myself (and others in here) worrying about worst case scenario, but we're not there yet. My mind isn't made up until I see the offering, if this rumour comes true at all.
I simply cannot believe Canon management to be so brainless as to deliver the R5 II on a subscription basis only.
Thi is not going to happen.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
This megapixel limitation is a disappointment…..and if this prediction is true, will probably prevent me from upgrading. I’ll wait and see what happens with a subscription model. I’ve already started learning about Leica camera options. It’s not too late to sell all my RF lenses. The weight of carrying a mirror less camera a few accessories and a few lenses is becoming a nuisance.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
And profitable, hence the attraction of other businesses. But again, I do think Adobe walked into this with the market cornered so there was more pressure to accept a subscription. Other subscription services trying to operate without the market cornered may not find as much success.
For me, it was straight forward: buy a new LR each year for €99 or pay €96 a year and get photoshop as a bonus. Adobe has steadily increased the monthly fee, but they've also kept adding features that I actually use.

And my "perpetual license" LR6 doesn't actually work anymore, so while I enjoy using LR, I don't trust Adobe.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I guess the other piece that would be interesting to consider if the R5ii moved exclusively to a subscription model, is it would likely change the economics of how some people buy cameras - you wouldn't be able to sell your body to recoup some of that investment when you buy a new body. It could have long-lasting impacts on the cost of ownership over time depending on how you manage camera purchases.
In some European countries, and I guess also in North America, a few dealers offer long term camera rental, "leasing", what we already know from the car industry. I think Hilti does (did?) the same for their drill-hammers.
Advantage (for pros!), is you always get the latest camera or lens. Disadvantage: cost! You pay for using a camera, pay a fixed rate, and at the end of the leasing period, you can buy the camera.
No trouble with repairs, if broken, replacement is quick, so no missed opportunities and income. But peace of mind is expensive, far too expensive for "normal" users.

Upvote 0
I had hoped for a camera with at least 60 mpx.
So if it really is 45 mpx it represents, for me, a useless purchase.
It would be the trick that breaks the camel's back after the half-disappointment of the new 24-105/2.8 which requires software corrections to remedy the terrible distortion and chromatic aberration.
I'm honestly thinking of abandoning Canon to switch to Leica SL (SL3 will be released soon with 60 mpx and 15 exposure latitude apertures) with its Apo lenses.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
...there are free and 'Pro' (i.e. subscription-based) versions of Canon's webcam software.

We use the free version with a (supposedly non-compatible) 40D/EF 10-18 combination...the set-up works well for teaching yoga online (via Zoom) from home.

I wonder how many Pro subscriptions Canon has sold?

My guess? Not very many.

=====

Another Canon subscription product was Irista.

Irista did not turn out well; I was a subscriber.

What other Canon consumer-oriented subscription products are out there?

=====

I have to chuckle at the pixel arguments in the wonderful posts in this thread.

It seems obvious to me that if ALL other specifications are equal...,more available pixels in a given high-quality camera are always better.

Always...with the caveat that storage space can strain some budgets.

But no doubt there are parameters in a pure performance camera (such as an R1?) that can be optimized with decreased pixel counts. I get that. I trust that Canon will probably get it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
If you are referring to generative AI
No, I'm not referring to it. hope at least they dont' make camera that generates images themselves, or largely modify the taken ones. Some AI-driven features make sense, like enhanced subject tracking, and keeping the models updated may justify a subscription. What I wouldn't like is an AI that decides what image I should take and produces another look-alike - there's already Instagram for that.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I don't know if I should be excited or not about 45mp. On the one hand, I would love to see another mp bump. Storage has gotten cheaper, computers have gotten faster, and in general I'm one of those "won't say no to more pixels" sorts of people.

OTOH, if Canon is confident staying at 45mp, I'd really hope that we get a true "no asterisks" 45mp, with a lot of the features we've seen in other bodies over the last 4 years:
  • Most modes (short of 30+ fps) at 14 bit
  • Readout speed fast enough to have a shutterless design
  • DR, ISO improvements
  • Mind-reading level of auto focus (I still fight with the R5 sometimes, though it's more on me than the R5)
  • Better suite of resolutions and frame rates for video
If it's 45mp with just modest speed improvements... I guess I will just wait for a price drop or just buy lenses instead.

Oh and please please please give us the optical joystick from the R3.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
i suspect they mean 'machine learning' or 'pattern recognition' more than they mean AI. Most of what is marketed as AI right now is actually ML or PR. And get this - your camera already has it! that's how eye detect AF works. They trained an algorithm on millions of images of eyes, and it can recognise them now.

Smarter tracking of a subject with "AI" could be fun though. Or maybe they could eliminate the need to set Animal vs. human eye. Or rather, set a preference but it will still be able to recognize the other if it does not find the primary subject.

Brian

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
I tend to buy every other cycle at best. If that strategy no longer saves me money in the long run because of a subscription model, then I really have to take a hard look at any future purchases.
This is where I am. EF->R transition is the time to consider if a system switch is right. The R lens pricing, 3rd party lens lock out, teething issues (heat, focus etc) have me hanging on to my 5D IV for now. I think computational features will be increasingly important, that'll really need some sort of ability for 3rd party 'apps' on the phone and I don't see Canon adapting gracefully to that (or at all) so I'm concerned I'll have to switch to get future features I'd love. (ex: Goal, ambient light balanced strobe for action in a large area, 10fps+ at reasonable flash power, ambient light trains behind subject: App that provides 2nd curtain sync to wireless monolight [Canon restricted feature], and rotates between a bank of monolights [say, 2-4 Einsteins?] or possibly two banks) That's the sort of thing I don't expect Canon to add as a built in feature, but that'd you'd need cooperating code in the camera to do well and ideally you'd want some camera<->strobe coordination.
On a side note, is there a spec list that shows which Canon cameras allow 2nd curtain sync via 3rd party monolight trigger? I've missed that feature since I retired my 1D Mk II (and can't justify 1D prices for my current hobby only situation).

Upvote 0