Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

No mechanical shutter in 2024 indicates Canon has introduced it's R5s new stacked sensor with readout speed at least faster than 2ms. The Nikon's Z9 has the fastest readout of aprox 3.7ms as tested by Jim Kasson. Faster than 2ms nearing zero one can leave out mechanical and global shutters. They become basically irrelevant.
Absolutely.

It would mean Canon is confident it achieves the quality level they set for the 5 series. I can only imagine this means it would be faster than mechanical, so roughly below 4ms (R3/Z8/Z9 already does that) or likely even lower (0-2ms would be fantastic). And this is a fantastic perspective, because if Canon is bringing it, it means they have achieved superior performance. Just like when they finally put IBIS for example.

A close-to-0ms perf would mean Canon actually solved the global shutter problematic without the quality tradeoff, keeping the sensor focused on light gathering first and foremost, that is also excellent news for future models.

Personally I am more happy with a stacked sensor than a 60MP increase, because the sensor speed enables such e shutter perf, but also higher fps, deeper buffer and CF interface, pre-capture, and better/faster/more accurate autofocus that get fed more data faster. Please bring the 60MP+ next gen though, Canon said the definition needed for VR was in the 100MP range so it will eventually come.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Current R5 eshutter is 12 bit so hopefully that goes to 14bit in H+
Not sure of the benefit of no mechanical shutter except for cost. It would need some way to cover the sensor when the lens is changed in any case

Not necessarily. “Sensors” are exposed when changing lenses on video/Cine cameras all the time.

Upvote 0
There was an incremental upgrade from 5Diii to 5Div which was relatively poorly received by the media.... but as a total, it was definitely worth upgrading.
The R5ii could be the same. The R5 is still a well rounded camera and great value based on the current discounts. You can still get a R6 even with the R6ii in the market so there could be room for both for some time to come.

When you consider all the firmware improvements that are outstanding on the R5 plus general hardware improvements plus a new sensor and better AF plus new joystick controller plus eye controlled AF then it becomes a compelling "upgrade" for a bunch of people. Not me in any case especially if the eye controlled AF is in as the underwater housing would need to be changed in that case.

Hardware:
- HDMI 2.1 port full size
- separate USB-C port for power and for video recording/thethering
- substantially better heating management
- Eye controlled AF
- fancy joystick from R3/1DXiii
- improved EVF and rear screen
- new processor/improved efficiency/ faster bus to memory cards

Firmware:
- no 30 minute limit
- better pixel shift implementation (combined raw in camera and/or separate raw images recorded
- dual pixel AF improvements
- Cinema menu would be a significant addition.
and a bunch of others, etc

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's a bold move removing the mechanical shutter, will the sensor readout be as fast as the R3 or even faster? I think the R5 II would still have a protection curtain when it turns off, but that also has potential to break down one day. This sounds like a better way to go then the global shutter.

What would happen with a full electronic shutter at f/1.4 with a 1/4000 or 1/8000 shutter speed? Have they figured out a way to make the blur as good as the mechanical/EFCS?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's a bold move removing the mechanical shutter, will the sensor readout be as fast as the R3 or even faster? I think the R5 II would still have a protection curtain when it turns off, but that also has potential to break down one day. This sounds like a better way to go then the global shutter.

What would happen with a full electronic shutter at f/1.4 with a 1/4000 or 1/8000 shutter speed? Have they figured out a way to make the blur as good as the mechanical/EFCS?
Nikon removed the mechanical shutter for the Z9 and Z8, and introduced a protective curtain. So, not exactly bold by Canon if they follow suit.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...]What would happen with a full electronic shutter at f/1.4 with a 1/4000 or 1/8000 shutter speed? Have they figured out a way to make the blur as good as the mechanical/EFCS?
If you're talking about the bokeh issue, EFCS has the blur/bokeh issue under certain circumstances (wider than f/1.8 and faster than 1/500s), fully MS and fully ES don't have that issue.

If you're talking about rolling shutter, the hope is that the readout speed is fast enough for most people. The R3 is close, but people can still show American shaped balls for soccer and tennis shots and bent clubs during golf.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What would happen with a full electronic shutter at f/1.4 with a 1/4000 or 1/8000 shutter speed?
It'll work. If you mean unwanted bokeh artifacts, ES doesn't have them.
Have they figured out a way to make the blur as good as the mechanical/EFCS?
You put mechanical and EFCS together as if they were the same but they aren't.

It's EFCS that has problems with bokeh at wide apertures and fast shutter speeds.

Mechanical has shutter shock issues at about 1/100 - 1/30s.

Slow ES has a rolling shutter issue.

Fast ES (as fast as mechanical or faster) won't have any of the above issues.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
There was an incremental upgrade from 5Diii to 5Div which was relatively poorly received by the media.... but as a total, it was definitely worth upgrading.
The R5ii could be the same. The R5 is still a well rounded camera and great value based on the current discounts. You can still get a R6 even with the R6ii in the market so there could be room for both for some time to come.

When you consider all the firmware improvements that are outstanding on the R5 plus general hardware improvements plus a new sensor and better AF plus new joystick controller plus eye controlled AF then it becomes a compelling "upgrade" for a bunch of people. Not me in any case especially if the eye controlled AF is in as the underwater housing would need to be changed in that case.

Hardware:
- HDMI 2.1 port full size
- separate USB-C port for power and for video recording/thethering
- substantially better heating management
- Eye controlled AF
- fancy joystick from R3/1DXiii
- improved EVF and rear screen
- new processor/improved efficiency/ faster bus to memory cards

Firmware:
- no 30 minute limit
- better pixel shift implementation (combined raw in camera and/or separate raw images recorded
- dual pixel AF improvements
- Cinema menu would be a significant addition.
and a bunch of others, etc

I don't think eye controlled AF will come to the R5. That would need a much bigger viewfinder and i also think its a premium feature reserved for the top sport bodies like the R3.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well, I have a personal photography project, where I photograph cyclists at a specific junction, and next to many good and technically challenging photos that I have taken with my R5, I have lost so many good shots just because my R5 tends to focus on the light poles as soon as the cyclists get close to them. As a result my main concern in framing is always the focus point, which is not great really. Of course I have tried different settings and have found my ways to mitigate the problem, but I do hope R5 mk II improves significantly on AF, and that alone may convince me to upgrade, since for such projects, I would need both high MP and capable AF. I have heard that the problem with focusing on horizontal elements will be best addressed by quad sensors (any thoughts on this?), but I keep my fingers crossed for R5 Mk II AF, no matter what exact sensor it uses. Below, a sample of shots with good focus, just so it is clear what I am talking about.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 14.03.49.png

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I don't think eye controlled AF will come to the R5. That would need a much bigger viewfinder and i also think its a premium feature reserved for the top sport bodies like the R3.
I hope you're wrong! But fear you could be right.
I need eye-control AF. If the R5 II lacks it, my next camera will certainly be either an R5 or an R3/R1.
Eye AF is for me the main reason why I'd get an R5II. As a landscaper, 45 MP are all I want, and fps or AF speed matter far less for me than for most forum members.
So, Canon, please, gimme Eye-control AF.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
45mp is more than enough. I just hope it has a top dial like R6II instead of a screen like the current R5. It makes it so much easier to use c1, c2, and c3 with the top dial.
I far prefer the electronic mode selection. I have that assigned to the M.Fn button that's right next to the shutter release, and I have the modes restricted to M and C1-3 so I can cycle through them very quickly.

Reactions: 6 users
45mp is more than enough. I just hope it has a top dial like R6II instead of a screen like the current R5. It makes it so much easier to use c1, c2, and c3 with the top dial.
I have a R6ii and a R8, every time I reach for it in my camera bag it seems to magically turn to a random setting. Every time i power on the camera I have to recheck which mode I'm in, which slows me down. I far prefer the R5 top LCD screen is way more less likely to get knocked or shifted.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0