Canon EOS R5 Mark II to arrive before EOS R1? [CR2]

The 5Div was seen as an incremental upgrade to the 5Diii but it overall was a much better camera. Luckily I got it second hand and then sold it for a slightly higher price when I got my R5.

Increasing the second hand market will be a good thing as used R5 are hard to come by giving Canon another price point to work with.

For me, I upgrade when I hit the limits of my current body for the genres that I shoot. That hasn't happened yet with my R5. Of course, there are a few niggling but not blocking issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2022
Isn't it logical that the R5 updates will similarly 'all had/have good improvements'...?
Yes but with previous models I knew or could imagine before what could be better:
20D was no fullframe and was bad at high ISO (still good for it's time), resolution was a bit low in the later years
5D II still a limited autofocus and slow
5D III first live view but bad AF with it, great optical AF though, great resolution, good at high ISO
5D IV great live view and optical AF but still lacking eye AF (others had at this time) and slow Wifi, great at high ISO
R5 decent Wifi connection and finally (even better) Eye AF, even higher resolution and the whole mirrorless change

I don't need better resolution, AF is great, wireless data transfer is fine. They could finally add those smartphone like security features, that would be something new.

I'm fine to skip a model if I don't need it, but before I always had some idea what could be better for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
45MP really is the perfect the sweet spot to have a versatile camera that can tackle everything, landscape (resolution), sports(speed, buffer size), high quality 4k/8k video(readout speed). They can only make it worse by changing this. Lifting some video limitations is still a big upgrade for hybrid shooters and stills shooters will appreciate the AF improvements.
The R5 sensor is only slightly slower than the R6 II sensor with much more pixels, they are leading the pack of non-stacked sensors.

For comparison, the A7RV has 61MP with a really slow readout sensor, much more stills-focused, nowhere near as balanced.
The R5s will be there for those who need it.

I am not sure what Nikon is cooking with the Z8. If they are smart they will try to keep most of what a Z9 is in a smaller body, they should not deviate from a 45MP stacked sensor at this point in time.
I'm sorry, but that's just your opinion. Same as a preference for higher mp is just my preference. Neither is less valid than the other...
If I am interested in stills mostly and I don't do much of video nor I take photos of super fast-paced subjects, then I can prioritize high-resolution.
And I am sure that technology will eventually improve for high-mp sensors.

I don't really care about naming... call it R5 mkII or R5s or whatever. I will buy the body that will satisfy what matters to me, which will be different from what matters to you, and that's fine. But I do not assume that what's better for me is better for everyone else.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Here's hoping it really does appear this year! My 2015 27" iMac isn't as old as yours, and still very happily runs Ventura, but within a couple of years I'll probably need to replace it - and I can't imagine moving away from that 5K monitor.
You should be good until 2025. By then I am pretty certain they'll release a nice new 2026 iMac 27" M5 Pro 2nm!

Incidentally I was offered 1/2 off on my 2012 as my dad wanted to hand me down my iMac to his eldest brother. I would have replace it with a 2015 iMac 27" 14nm that you also have.

I'd have bumped it up to 64GB RAM for ~$450 on day 1 like the 2012's day 1 with 32GB.

By 2020 replace the Fusion Drive with a 2TB/4TB SSD.

When final Security Update is sent then retire it for a 2026 iMac 27" M5 Pro 2nm!

Although who knows... I may extend its useful life to 2035 with OCLP for a solid 2 decades.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
45MP really is the perfect the sweet spot to have a versatile camera that can tackle everything, landscape (resolution), sports(speed, buffer size), high quality 4k/8k video(readout speed). They can only make it worse by changing this...
I'm pretty sure that if one went back to the CR archives it would be easy to find this same comment for virtually every Canon camera. It always seems as though the "sweet spot" is whatever the previous generation Canon had.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It would surprise me if this rumor is true (wouldn't be the first time). It seems like the usual pattern with Canon has been to announce a new 1 series body and then follow that up about six months later with a 5 series, keeping each on a four-year cycle. I could see an R1 announced this fall and released shortly after the New Year, then an R5II announced sometime in March-April with availability in June 2024.

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
You should be good until 2025. By then I am pretty certain they'll release a nice new 2026 iMac 27" M5 Pro 2nm!

Incidentally I was offered 1/2 off on my 2012 as my dad wanted to hand me down my iMac to his eldest brother. I would have replace it with a 2015 iMac 27" 14nm that you also have.

I'd have bumped it up to 64GB RAM for ~$450 on day 1 like the 2012's day 1 with 32GB.

By 2020 replace the Fusion Drive with a 2TB/4TB SSD.

When final Security Update is sent then retire it for a 2026 iMac 27" M5 Pro 2nm!

Although who knows... I may extend its useful life to 2035 with OCLP for a solid 2 decades.
My late 2013 27” iMac still chugs along pretty well until a Topaz app slows it down. I maxed out RAM, but it wasn’t much help.
l keep looking at the rumor mill for signs of a 27/30” Apple Silicon iMac. It looks more and more doubtful. If anyone has seen any recent positive rumors, please let me know.

Upvote 0
My late 2013 27” iMac still chugs along pretty well until a Topaz app slows it down. I maxed out RAM, but it wasn’t much help.
l keep looking at the rumor mill for signs of a 27/30” Apple Silicon iMac. It looks more and more doubtful. If anyone has seen any recent positive rumors, please let me know.
Best information tends to be from macrumors
https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/imac/

Upvote 0
Just give the R5 II more dynamic range, 4k60 oversampled 8K, better lowlight, no recording limit, and no overheating . At least 1.5 stops more of dynamic range and I’ll get 2.

Would love clog2, but I think that will be reserved for the R1 or possibly R3 months after the R1 ships.

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Just give the R5 II more dynamic range, 4k60 oversampled 8K, better lowlight, no recording limit, and no overheating . At least 1.5 stops more of dynamic range and I’ll get 2.

Would love clog2, but I think that will be reserved for the R1 or possibly R3 months after the R1 ships.
The R5 already has the same dynamic range as the R3 and more than the Z9. 1.5 more stops is unrealistic and if that’s what you want you will have a very long wait.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The R5 already has the same dynamic range as the R3 and more than the Z9. 1.5 more stops is unrealistic and if that’s what you want you will have a very long wait.
You should watch Gerald Undone and his review. I’m a Canon guy, but the usable dynamic range is 11-11.5 on a good day. Thats not very impressive… R3 has almost 1 stop more than the R5. The only Canon mirrorless camera that has good Dynamic Range is the R5c with roughly 13 stops. Maybe 13.5

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You should watch Gerald Undone and his review. I’m a Canon guy, but the usable dynamic range is 11-11.5 on a good day. Thats not very impressive… R3 has almost 1 stop more than the R5. The only Canon mirrorless camera that has good Dynamic Range is the R5c with roughly 13 stops. Maybe 13.5
Both photonstophotos and dxomark have only a whisker of difference between the R3 and R5, and they know how to measure DR.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
If I had to jump into a new one at the moment I would probably go with an M2 Mac mini, maybe with beefed up cores and memory. Plus an external monitor. It's an impressive little box. Agreed with David - Sydney about Macrumors - which has some good comparison tables between models.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That’s DR in video, not stills, right?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'm pretty sure that if one went back to the CR archives it would be easy to find this same comment for virtually every Canon camera. It always seems as though the "sweet spot" is whatever the previous generation Canon had.
It really isn't about comments.
It is about the R5 being one of Canon's greatest hits and it's attributes with relation to is competitors.
The reason why it is still selling well and it was never nearly as common on the used market as an R6 and holding it's value fairly well (even before the R6 II) is that it can be utilised for so many different things.

Currently, the only other hybrid cameras that it is competing against are the Sony A1 and Nikon Z9. (one is a lot more money and still lacks some features like oversampled 4k, the other is bulky and heavy). The R5 is the only cheaper alternative to these cameras with a non-stacked sensor.

It sits in a very unique position and you can't name any alternative to it - because there aren't any.

Just by fixing overheating and adding a few more things it will be compelling to the people who decided to get the R5 and live with its issues and it will be also a very compelling all-rounder on its own. (Yes, you can use it just for stills, or just for video, or whatever you like in-between)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am not surprised. I expect a modest update similar to the R6 Mk II around Q2-Q3 and then a R1 announcement Q4 2023 - Q1 2024. Frankly, at this stage I am more interested in additional L-series lenses then the cameras.
I know this is going off topic but what RF L lenses are missing?

I did a cursory look over what EF L lenses that do not have a direct RF L lens equivalent from year 1993-today. These were all in stock in 2018 when RF mount was announced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0