Canon EOS R5 v1.7.0

Nov 20, 2022
Same for me. Tested on a small subject (stuffed animal) where the AF wasn't able to pick the eye. No difference between 1.6 and 1.7
I've noticed with my 50 and 85 1.2's sometimes get some hunting on small objects with more defined objects behind them. It would take me focusing closer and then back at that object to try to snag it. Hopefully this fixes that but I'll test after work today.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I've noticed with my 50 and 85 1.2's sometimes get some hunting on small objects with more defined objects behind them. It would take me focusing closer and then back at that object to try to snag it. Hopefully this fixes that but I'll test after work today.
Yeah, this update could help with wildlife subjects, such as small birds in front of busy backgrounds. Have to test it out.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yeah, this update could help with wildlife subjects, such as small birds in front of busy backgrounds. Have to test it out.
I just did a quick test shot at dusk with 1.70. Don't take the quality of this seriously as it was at iso 10k and 1/100s at 500mm and a distance of 14m, conditions where it won't be sharp. But, you can see the AF set to eyeAF and full screen tracking just locked on to a tiny bird, mainly horizontal and not much contrast with the background. I don't seem to have AF problems that others report. Here is the full frame, reduced to fit, and a 100% crop around the Longtailed Tit.309A6551-DxO_longtailed_tit_iso10k_100th_full.jpeg309A6551-DxO_longtailed_tit_iso10k_100th_crop.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
I just did a quick test shot at dusk with 1.70. Don't take the quality of this seriously as it was at iso 10k and 1/100s at 500mm and a distance of 14m, conditions where it won't be sharp. But, you can see the AF set to eyeAF and full screen tracking just locked on to a tiny bird, mainly horizontal and not much contrast with the background. I don't seem to have AF problems that others report. Here is the full frame, reduced to fit, and a 100% crop around the Longtailed Tit.View attachment 206661View attachment 206662
it looks perfect.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Apart from the freezing, for which fortunately I was in the group that didn't have this problem, Canon came out with R5 firmware that was adequte but lacked some niggling features like not being able to change fps for ES shutter and further refinements as found in the R3 and R7. Nikon, on the other hand with the Z9, came out with rather underdeveloped firmware which wasn't up to it and with the promise that they would develop it, which they have done.

Upvote 0