Canon EOS R6 body down to $1599, plus other big savings on select Canon gear

Jul 21, 2010
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Its indeed Canon USA for whom rest of the world is subsidising those discounts.
Are you certain subsidizing is the correct term? I doubt it. My understanding (I could certainly be wrong) is that Canon operates like many multinational corporations where each major geography operates as an independent business unit. HQ provides pricing guidance but each business unit is responsible for marketing, including flexibility on discount/cashback programs to enable them to meet their own independent sales targets.

Seems more likely that Canon USA offers discounts to increase sales (e.g., take a hit on unit margin that’s counteracted by increased volume, ideally more than just an even trade), whereas other business units take a different approach. Subsidizing would mean that Canon EU/Asia/etc. are effectively giving their profits over to Canon USA so the latter can offer lower prices, and that would obviously come at the expense of those other geographies not performing as well on the top line. If you were the head of Canon India, would you pass your profits over to Canon USA to benefit their customers, knowing it would mean a negative impact on your business unit’s performance rating? I would think not.

Sorry, but your argument seems less about business sense and logic, and more about envy for others paying less for a product than you.

Meanwhile, people in the US can’t afford new life-saving medicines whereas prices are far lower (zero, in some cases) in Europe for the same medication because the governments control the prices (but also the availability on a formulary), and the governments of India and China allow their companies to freely violate intellectual property law and produce the medications locally. So pharma is a case where US customers actually subsidize new medicines for the world by funding the R&D (and, of course, US customers also support the pharma companies’ obscene profits). [/soapbox]

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
B&H Photo is having a “Save big on Canon” sale. These savings are above and beyond the instant rebates offered by Canon USA. You must use the promo code CANONSAVEBIG when checking out to see these deals. Canon EOS R6 Deals Canon RF Lens Deals

See full article...
Tried promocode CANONSAVEBIG and it doesn't work :(

• Sad
Upvote 0
Meanwhile, people in the US can’t afford new life-saving medicines whereas prices are far lower (zero, in some cases) in Europe for the same medication because the governments control the prices (but also the availability on a formulary), and the governments of India and China allow their companies to freely violate intellectual property law and produce the medications locally. So pharma is a case where US customers actually subsidize new medicines for the world by funding the R&D (and, of course, US customers also support the pharma companies’ obscene profits). [/soapbox]
I believe that the insurance providers have "price lists" for virtually all items. These list prices are ridiculously high compared to the cost but enable negotiations to have discounts against them for various corporations/employees that would make them more reasonable compared to cost.

These discount aren't available to others - including anyone traveling to the US under travel insurance. Any travel policy separates the US vs the rest of the world with much higher premiums.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its indeed Canon USA for whom rest of the world is subsidising those discounts.

Maybe it’s the historically low yen-to-US Dollar exchange rate: it hit 140 yesterday and the Japanese central bank had to intervene to strengthen the yen. The point is, for every dollar a Japanese company makes in the USA right now, they make “extra” profit, historically very high profits, as they convert back to yen, perhaps allowing these big sales in the US market.

Upvote 0
Maybe it’s the historically low yen-to-US Dollar exchange rate: it hit 140 yesterday and the Japanese central bank had to intervene to strengthen the yen. The point is, for every dollar a Japanese company makes in the USA right now, they make “extra” profit, historically very high profits, as they convert back to yen, perhaps allowing these big sales in the US market.
You have to go back to 1998 (briefly) and then to 1991 to see 140. Big changes in the last 12 months

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
You have to go back to 1998 (briefly) and then to 1991 to see 140. Big changes in the last 12 months
It wouldn’t surprise me if export-driven Japanese companies like Canon are begging the central bank not to raise interest rates, they’re raking in huge profits now from US sales (as is Toyota, Honda, etc).

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Are you certain subsidizing is the correct term? I doubt it. My understanding (I could certainly be wrong) is that Canon operates like many multinational corporations where each major geography operates as an independent business unit. HQ provides pricing guidance but each business unit is responsible for marketing, including flexibility on discount/cashback programs to enable them to meet their own independent sales targets.

Seems more likely that Canon USA offers discounts to increase sales (e.g., take a hit on unit margin that’s counteracted by increased volume, ideally more than just an even trade), whereas other business units take a different approach. Subsidizing would mean that Canon EU/Asia/etc. are effectively giving their profits over to Canon USA so the latter can offer lower prices, and that would obviously come at the expense of those other geographies not performing as well on the top line. If you were the head of Canon India, would you pass your profits over to Canon USA to benefit their customers, knowing it would mean a negative impact on your business unit’s performance rating? I would think not.

Sorry, but your argument seems less about business sense and logic, and more about envy for others paying less for a product than you.

Of course it's about envy!
Yes, we Europeans envy Canon USA prices. But far less US Healthcare...
And, given the choice, I prefer paying more for Canon, and less (or nothing) for medical treatment. Anyway, thanks to Entoman's suggestion, my next Canon will be shipped from Hong Kong by Panamoz, and cost about the B&H price. Fully legally, all taxes and custom duties payed!

Upvote 0