Canon EOS R6 body down to $1599, plus other big savings on select Canon gear

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
To all those complaining about Canon. What makes you think this is a Canon sale? This has all the markings of a B&H sale.

Available at one dealership. Sales price is not advertised but available only in-cart. You folks have short memories. Pre-pandemic this is how dealers always got around the minimum advertised price set by Canon. It’s how Canon Price Watch dealers offer lower street prices as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Wasn't there a canon cash-back recently in the US? There is also a 'Canon summer cash-back' here in good old Europe, so no reason to be jealous or whatsoever. I don't know how independent the different Canon units are, but for my understanding it's the usual Canon pricing: Starting with the max acceptable price, the products are getting cheaper over time and Canon is usually very good with the timing and reasons (cash-back or lower retail price). We want to have a new camera/lenses BEFORE the summer holidays (= good timing) and we have less money available AFTER the holidays. I'm sure that Canon will also look at the sales figures to fine-tune any sale or cash-back. That's how the game works ...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The price for RF16 and RF24 are bargain now.
I bought the RF 24/1.8 a few weeks ago, with just the Canon USA discount. I admit I was briefly tempted by the RF 16/2.8 for $200, but I resisted knowing I don't need it since I have the RF 14-35/4. I will get the new RF 28/2.8 pancake at some point, though.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I bought the RF 24/1.8 a few weeks ago, with just the Canon USA discount. I admit I was briefly tempted by the RF 16/2.8 for $200, but I resisted knowing I don't need it since I have the RF 14-35/4. I will get the new RF 28/2.8 pancake at some point, though.
Not to tempt you, but it’s awfully easy to slip the 16/2.8 into a bag or pocket just in case.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Not to tempt you, but it’s awfully easy to slip the 16/2.8 into a bag or pocket just in case.
Lol, thanks. :mad:

I doubt I'd have an unexpected need for a UWA lens, at least I haven't yet. But a pocketable lens closer to normal is very useful to tuck in the pocket of a toploader bag when I'm only bringing a single telephoto zoom. The EF 40/2.8 was great for that, and the RF 28/2.8 will fill a similar role for me.

Upvote 0

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
R6 depreciation is brutal. I don't even think Sony has cut prices on 2020 bodies by that much. This kind of validates my hunch that 20MP isn't enough for an all-around $2500 camera. Especially in combo with the RF lens situation. 3x MP seems better. Yes R6 has blazing speed and great video. But it could have kept much of that with a higher resolution sensor.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
R6 depreciation is brutal. I don't even think Sony has cut prices on 2020 bodies by that much. This kind of validates my hunch that 20MP isn't enough for an all-around $2500 camera. Especially in combo with the RF lens situation. 3x MP seems better. Yes R6 has blazing speed and great video. But it could have kept much of that with a higher resolution sensor.
The R6 is a previous generation body, so it should come as no surprise that it has seen big price cuts. Not at all unusual for a "old" body.

However, Canon did choose to replace the R6 about two years into the cycle, about half of the normal time frame. And they appear to be keeping the R5 refresh cycle closer to the usual four-year time frame. So, it's fair to speculate that something made Canon decide to replace the R6 early and it could be related to the resolution. On the other hand, Canon may have chosen to replace the R6 early, so as to get it on a four-year cycle that alternates with the R5. The additional four megapixels is more of a psychological rather than practical difference. But psychology is important in selling.

Upvote 0
When comes to depreciation challenge, Sony is number on1. R6 is slower than I thought tbh.

If MSRP of R8 and R6 drops further into the $1000~$1499 range, it's a killing option for beginners or anyone upgrade from EF. R8 for lightweight, R6 for traditional enthusiasts. The 20MP CMOS from 1DX3 is being underappreciated by many keyboard photographers. Slap on the cheap EF 24-70L/f4 and everything is good to go.

Upvote 0
To all those complaining about Canon. What makes you think this is a Canon sale? This has all the markings of a B&H sale.

Available at one dealership. Sales price is not advertised but available only in-cart. You folks have short memories. Pre-pandemic this is how dealers always got around the minimum advertised price set by Canon. It’s how Canon Price Watch dealers offer lower street prices as well.
Adorama has the same deal (with an adapter included) and it's advertised on their main page.

Upvote 0

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
When comes to depreciation challenge, Sony is number on1. R6 is slower than I thought tbh.

If MSRP of R8 and R6 drops further into the $1000~$1499 range, it's a killing option for beginners or anyone upgrade from EF. R8 for lightweight, R6 for traditional enthusiasts. The 20MP CMOS from 1DX3 is being underappreciated by many keyboard photographers. Slap on the cheap EF 24-70L/f4 and everything is good to go.
ITs hard to find a modern camera one can't get great photos with. But for what these cameras cost, "the potential for great output" is a baseline requirement. These are luxury purchases for all besides the pros, and by extension have to do more than the bare minimum. IMO 20MP is the bare minimum when similarly priced cameras have 50-100% more MPs. It makes a difference, even if you don't make huge prints or pixel peep. I can see more detail from shots with the same lenses out of my A7R2 vs my A7III for example. And Id wager MPs are relevant to a wider audience than 20 fps or w/e... which is why the R5 has done a much better job at holding value despite being much more expensive.

Upvote 0