Canon EOS RP body price confirmed at $1299 USD, and we’re very happy about it

Dec 19, 2014
Even without IBIS and a lesser implementation of 4K, Canon has knocked it out of the park with this pricing. I have been eyeing FF for months, and to go with A7 III and a proper adatper would cost me $1,100 more to use my EF lenses. This is going to be a complete no-brainer purchase, and that is obviously Canon's strategy.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Its really bad for forward compatibility to be buying EF lenses if you're buying into the RF system brand new. I know Sony's lack of truly native stuff is what kept me from staying with them over time, and thats an issue that's been sorted out.

I guess Canon has the benefit of not caring if people buy EF or RF, but its still not as strong a hook if you're adapting lenses.

But a huge number of buyers (perhaps most of them) will be coming from EF mount cameras who already have a library of glass. Making this camera inexpensive and packaging with a mount adapter will entice more existing EF users to move into the system without having to buy a separate adapter. This camera is a great upgrade to (original) 6D users and other who already have FF kit glass like the 24-105 L

Upvote 0
Its really bad for forward compatibility to be buying EF lenses if you're buying into the RF system brand new. I know Sony's lack of truly native stuff is what kept me from staying with them over time, and thats an issue that's been sorted out.

I guess Canon has the benefit of not caring if people buy EF or RF, but its still not as strong a hook if you're adapting lenses.

EF lenses are still a good option if you need to shoot on two different mounts. You can have a 5D Mk4 as your main and use an EOS R(P) as a backup and still use the EF lens. If you are primarily shooting on EOS-R bodies only, then you'd stick to the RF mount. Canon is really trying to entice new users or old Rebel users into the FF mirrorless format so that they can sell them RF glass down the line.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
From reading the specs on the RP, although it is indicated as an entry levrl FF mirrorless camera, I see it more as an advanced level camera. Many people favor the conttol mode dial. While, i like seeing settings on my 5DIV on the top LCD, it is just minor. The spec sheet says the body is mag-alloy and polycarbonate. That is good news too. Its probably similar to the composition of the 6DII. Hopefully, the sensor will be improved a little to work well with Digic 8. All in all I think Canon might hit it out of the park with this camera

Upvote 0
WOW. I must say, I am impressed.

I wish they would have announced a kit with the rumored RF 24-240 rather than the adapted EF 24-105 STM, but at this pricing I really have no complaints. I would pick the RF 24-105 anyway.

Amazing. $1299 and they give a free adapter and a free 'extension grip' whatever that last thing is? Nikon charges you $149 for the adapter after the discount. And Sony never gave the grip away, instead charging $349 for it.

Upvote 0