Canon EOS RP body price confirmed at $1299 USD, and we’re very happy about it

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I think this UK camera company posted the detailed specs to their website without realizing it. Looks like 4k IPB compression at 120mbs 8 bit 4:2:0 is all we get. No canon log and it doesn't specifically indicate the crop factor for 4k recording but I am betting its the same 1.74 crop we're used to. Also, 8.3 megapixel stills can be extracted from the 4k. The link appears to be an excel spreadsheet of the detailed specs. https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/uploads/downloads/Product Specifications/Canon/EOS RP/EOS RP Specifications.xlsx

Looking at the spreadsheet I don't see anything about a flippy screen.
Also, 4k will be 24 fps max, not 30 fps.
Am I missing something?

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Another happy Canon user looking forward to that camera. Hopefully it is 1299 EUR in Germany and ... wishful thinking ... they have a "naked" body offer for e.g. 1150 EUR or so - I . WANT . TO . USE . THE . CONTROL RING ADAPTER!

Less than a snowball's chances in hell. $1299 plus VAT is about 1450€, which is still really cheap for a FF body. I predict the release price of the RP is going to be around 1500€ in Europe. Whether there will be extras included remains to be seen.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
What will be really fascinating to see, is what the next EOS FF mirrorless model will be, and in particular, have for features. Can or will Canon create a 'giant-slayer'? A body that comes in just under $3K - a true 5D Mk IV replacement with a 36 or 42 MP sensor? Or will they keep the introductory pricing for something like that in the mid $3K range. And then a D1X Mk II mirrorless replacement with a 20-26 mp sensor for just under or right at $5K?

The flip side is, is this RP the mirrorless equivalent of what the rumored 90D was going to be? Is there no 90D coming? And what of the aging 7D Mk III's replacement? I can understand Canon's reluctance to share their business plans/model with the outside world (from a business/competition standpoint) but it's quite maddening from a customer's standpoint. Is Canon moving to FF (and APS-C) mirrorless and away from DSLR's quicker than we anticipated? I don't see that based on the lenses they released over the past year.
The Mk III of the 70-200mm f2.8L IS, the Mk III of the 400mm and 600mm big whites...etc.

But the marketplace can change rapidly too. And it sounds like nearly every EF lens (and EF-S) ever made can be used on the EOS R and I'm assuming this RP as well...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This is pretty exciting. Not only is it the low, aggressive price, it includes the adapter! Wow!

Let's not forget that the adapter means that EF-S lenses can be used on it, too. I think this model is aimed squarely at getting Rebel/XXD shooters to upgrade to full frame without having to worry about getting all new lenses.

Can't wait to see some real-world reviews...

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The price and the specs are very good news, but it begs the question that if all three kits ship with the grip extender, how uncomfortable is the RP without it? ;)

Obviously, they have reasons for making a compact body; it appeals to modern consumers' interest in small, full-frame cameras and demonstrates that Canon can compete with Sony in this respect. Perhaps it's also a preliminary means of exploring modular design, given that other manufacturers (e.g., Fuji's modular GFX medium format camera) are doing so.

Whatever the case, it piqued my interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
It will be interesting if they capture new sales with this.
Gonna depend on what other lenses come out quickly. Right now, there's very little appealing to someone who isnt already a Canon user because the lenses are all >$1k. But if Tamron, Sigma, etc release their RF mount versions here shortly, its a very different ballgame.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Gonna depend on what other lenses come out quickly. Right now, there's very little appealing to someone who isnt already a Canon user because the lenses are all >$1k. But if Tamron, Sigma, etc release their RF mount versions here shortly, its a very different ballgame.
That's not true at all.

One can simply buy an EF 50/1.8 STM EF 40/2.8 STM a used EF 24-105/4 or EF 24-70/4 or any aftermarket EF lens (that may need a firmware update) and be a happy camper. This is where Canon has won it over its competitors, plenty of cheap glass with perfect compatibility. It even looks more balanced, especially on an even smaller body like this.

For native lenses, it will be Canon for now as the RF mount is closed.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

the RF 35mm is not. as well there's a 24-240 RF coming out that is probably less than 1K not to mention probably a future kit lens of the RP, and it comes with the EF adapter. So a 40mm pancake and 50mm 1.8 say hello if you want cheap lenses.

Upvote 0
Less than a snowball's chances in hell. $1299 plus VAT is about 1450€, which is still really cheap for a FF body. I predict the release price of the RP is going to be around 1500€ in Europe. Whether there will be extras included remains to be seen.

And why is the M50 in the US 629 $ and in Germany 550 EUR? Some negativ tax for APS-C format cameras? Both body only.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
That's not true at all.

One can simply buy an EF 50/1.8 STM EF 40/2.8 STM a used EF 24-105/4 or EF 24-70/4 or any aftermarket EF lens (that may need a firmware update) and be a happy camper. This is where Canon has won it over its competitors, plenty of cheap glass with perfect compatibility. It even looks more balanced, especially on an even smaller body like this.
Its really bad for forward compatibility to be buying EF lenses if you're buying into the RF system brand new. I know Sony's lack of truly native stuff is what kept me from staying with them over time, and thats an issue that's been sorted out.

I guess Canon has the benefit of not caring if people buy EF or RF, but its still not as strong a hook if you're adapting lenses.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
That's a fantastic value. It gets right the one thing that 6D2 did not -- the price at launch. I kind of want one now :)
I would just remind you that the 6D Mk II price at launch should have surprised no one because it was in alignment with the introductory pricing of the original 6D and in particular the pricing/value relationship between the 5D Mk III and the 6D vs the 5D Mk IV and the 6D Mk II.

I think the greater issue for many (at least those that were anticipating the 6D Mk II performance/spec-wise, was that in certain tests the 6D's sensor performance bested the 5D Mk III (as the 6D came out after the 5D Mk III) and I think that fact loomed large in a lot of the anticipatory thinking concerning the 6D Mk II's sensor vs. the 5D Mk IV. Canon was not going to make that "happy accident" a second time. The other significant issue for Canon's latest DSLR offerings (in the past 3 years), at least according to various photo sites and forums, has been there seeming unwillingness to really embrace/adopt non-bastardized 4K in these models.

Sorry my post has gone a little rogue here (off-topic). One final statement. What is the number 1 cause of friction in any relationship? Whether inter-personal, or say between a customer and a business (of any kind)?
Answer:
Our expectations - of the other party/person, product, service, etc.

Example: Canon's 6D Mk II.
Does the 6d Mk II take great images? Does it work properly? ...? ...? etc.? By all accounts, from those that purchased it, YES.

Does it have short-comings? Yes

Has every camera model introduced over the last 80 years had short-comings (for the time it was introduced)? realistically. YES.

But some, even many, models have at least met, if not exceeded, EXPECTATIONS. Example: 5D, 5D Mk III, in some ways the 5D Mk II (think video), 1DX, F1, AE-1, T-90, EOS 620, (and these are just a few of Canon's models).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0