Canon EOS RP body price confirmed at $1299 USD, and we’re very happy about it

I think this UK camera company posted the detailed specs to their website without realizing it. Looks like 4k IPB compression at 120mbs 8 bit 4:2:0 is all we get. No canon log and it doesn't specifically indicate the crop factor for 4k recording but I am betting its the same 1.74 crop we're used to. Also, 8.3 megapixel stills can be extracted from the 4k. The link appears to be an excel spreadsheet of the detailed specs. https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/uploads/downloads/Product Specifications/Canon/EOS RP/EOS RP Specifications.xlsx

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I think this UK camera company posted the detailed specs to their website without realizing it. Looks like 4k IPB compression at 120mbs 8 bit 4:2:0 is all we get. No canon log and it doesn't specifically indicate the crop factor for 4k recording but I am betting its the same 1.74 crop we're used to. Also, 8.3 megapixel stills can be extracted from the 4k. The link appears to be an excel spreadsheet of the detailed specs. https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/uploads/downloads/Product Specifications/Canon/EOS RP/EOS RP Specifications.xlsx

If there's a crop, it'll be around 1.56. The crop size isn't chosen to limit the camera, it's purely based on the 1x1 readout for UHD/4K.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The 24-105/4 deal sounds great, and will sound ever greater during holiday season when it'll be $300 cheaper and with a free Pixma PRO-100 plus a 50 sheet ream of 13x19" photo paper thrown in for good measure. Just keeping my fingers crossed that 4K means this will have similar DR to a 5DIV/R instead of a 6DII.
Going to wait for holiday deals with printer. Bought 6d2 recently. Should have waited to jump into FF.

Upvote 0

Maybe we have to wait for Magic Lantern - RP cameras seem so cheap that it isn't that bad if you damage one during programming ...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If there's a crop, it'll be around 1.56. The crop size isn't chosen to limit the camera, it's purely based on the 1x1 readout for UHD/4K.

If the crop factor is 1.56 it is a 24 MPix sensor: 6000 / 3840 = 1.56

My hope for a 24 MPix sensor isn't dead: (1) no 6D ii sensor & (2) same pixel numbers like M50 = easier calculations!
Maybe the 26.2 MPix is only the raw pixel number where some are used for e.g. DPAF close to the edges ?!

Upvote 0
Let's hope! This spreadsheet doesn't indicate, but it puts everything else to rest.

Fortunately, it's a hardware limitation. I don't believe a 4K crop can work that tight on that resolution of a sensor. Good find on the spreadsheet, it does confirm that it's an 8 bit out. Still looking to see if DPAF works in 4K or not. I assume no, but a boy can dream.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
I didn't think Canon would ship a kit with an adapted lens, but I think at this price point it makes sense. They've probably got better lenses to work on than an RF version of the 24-105 3.5-5.6

They've definitely made the RP very tempting at this price point, but it's also made the R pricing make less sense. The ~$1000 difference in MSRP doesn't seem reflected in the specs.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
If the crop factor is 1.56 it is a 24 MPix sensor: 6000 / 3840 = 1.56

My hope for a 24 MPix sensor isn't dead: (1) no 6D ii sensor & (2) same pixel numbers like M50 = easier calculations!
Maybe the 26.2 MPix is only the raw pixel number where some are used for e.g. DPAF close to the edges ?!

Realistically, I don't think there's any chance of a brand new sensor in a $1299 camera when the R didn't even get one. I would be shocked if it's not the 6dII sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So M50 EVF. That rains on my parade.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
The 24-105/4 deal sounds great, and will sound ever greater during holiday season when it'll be $300 cheaper and with a free Pixma PRO-100 plus a 50 sheet ream of 13x19" photo paper thrown in for good measure. Just keeping my fingers crossed that 4K means this will have similar DR to a 5DIV/R instead of a 6DII.
It should/might have a newer processor than the 6D Mk II so would think that it will be better in that department. Exciting times!

Upvote 0