Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
If someone critical about a camera, lens, or camera equipments I own, I wouldn't take offense to it. I understand I went for the best value options and they tend to have compromises. It is just a tool for me. There are no perfect camera just what you are willing to compromises on.

With the EOS RP soon out of way, I'm looking forward to hearing EOS R Pro rumors.
Same with me, I am very curious to see what is coming on the higher end R cameras.

I don’t take offense to differing opinions on gear, but I’m in an interesting position on the 6Ds, I use them, but didn’t have to pay for them. I like them, but recognize that they have shortcomings. I think that the mark 2 is an improvement over the 1, but not enough of an improvement to upgrade from one to the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Re the 6d vs 6d2. The mk2 isn't so much for those looking to upgrade from the mk1 as it is for those looking to replace their aging mk1. As such, the improvements are enough and keep the model up to date. If you need to upgrade beyond that you move to the 5D series or 1D series.what happened with the 6D2 was that for some reason people expected a 5D4 at a lower price point and got carried away with speculation. This doesn't happen with the rebel series. When the 400D came about there weren't a lot of people talking about it as an upgrade option for those using the 350D. The upgrade then was the 30D. Somehow it seems the quality of gear discussions has been significantly reduced since those days.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
It may also be that with touch screens, there is less need for scrolling with a wheel. Although I always forget that I can scroll with a finger swipe.

Too bad. It’s always been my favorite hardware element on the 5D series. Fuji lacks the same thing on their flagship models, and it’s a shame Canon is removing it, too. It was always a very reliable interface dial. Perhaps we’ll see it in the pro model R, when it’s released.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Hopefully we can have serious discussions about these things - because it's one of the most interesting aspects of the last little while for me: the jostling within the different classes of Canon cameras.

For eg: with the EOS R, serious query whether there will be a 6D3. With the EOS RP, will there be a 90D? If there is a high MP EOS R later in the year, will there be a 5Ds2? The really interesting element is how this will play with the other pro DSLRs - assuming that at least one pro EOS R will turn up next year. Wlll that be pitched between the 5D4 and the 1D series? This is not just a timing issue about those DSLR series, but how many of them will ever be upgraded. If its seen as profitable, obviously they will - and there seems no issue about re-using old (and presumably new) sensors between DSLR and mirrorless versions. I don't see the older ones dropping off the shelves any time soon, but will they bother to incrementally upgrade them in a DSLR setting, or provide incentives for users to shift into mirrorless, where the value-ad of upgrading is not just a marginally better sensor, and/or (eg) video capabilities, versus buying into an all new system with state-of-the-art native RF lenses?

To me a lot of what we are seeing is a deep long-term strategy on upgrades. Not just from older FF DSLRs to mirrorless, but from higher-grade APS-C DSLRs to FFM, and from lower level APS-C DSLRs to EOS-M. Of course they want non-Canon users to buy in as well, but I think a big part of it is to get existing users to turn over their existing bodies to newer (and mirrorless) versions.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
To me a lot of what we are seeing is a deep long-term strategy on upgrades. Not just from older FF DSLRs to mirrorless, but from higher-grade APS-C DSLRs to FFM, and from lower level APS-C DSLRs to EOS-M. Of course they want non-Canon users to buy in as well, but I think a big part of it is to get existing users to turn over their existing bodies to newer (and mirrorless) versions.
I think a high-end APS-C camera is a very important model in their lineup (and at this very moment they can do it better with a DSLR than a mirrorless), they won't skip that because it is a model that one might want to have in addition to a FF camera because of the extra performance it offers without going to a 1D-level camera.
From the features they offer (e.g. single SD slot in the EOS R) it is very obvious that first and foremost they want to sell as many cameras as they can to a single user.

And all the critiqe is actually emerging from the exact same thing which frustates people. For instance, the form factor of this camera seems really great, but
both photo and video will be severely crippled in comparison to the higher-end model (no 4k and very soft 1080p, if it stays as it was with the 6D Mark II).
Want the best video they currently offer in a stills camera? Well that's a much bigger and more expensive sports camera that most people don't really need (and with no C-Log), the 1DX Mark II.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
For eg: with the EOS R, serious query whether there will be a 6D3. With the EOS RP, will there be a 90D? If there is a high MP EOS R later in the year, will there be a 5Ds2? The really interesting element is how this will play with the other pro DSLRs - assuming that at least one pro EOS R will turn up next year. Wlll that be pitched between the 5D4 and the 1D series? This is not just a timing issue about those DSLR series, but how many of them will ever be upgraded. If its seen as profitable, obviously they will - and there seems no issue about re-using old (and presumably new) sensors between DSLR and mirrorless versions.

I can't imagine that Canon would discontinue the most popular enthusiast/professional DSLRs until at least 1 generation failed to generate good sales. Surely, 80D, 5D4, and 1D2 will all see successors, as these are some of Canon's most popular high-end models. I don't think low end DSLRs (xxxD Rebels) will disappear until an APSC mirrorless or EOS M accounts for the lion's share of mirrorless, and at the moment, we're far, far away from that, even though EOS M is pretty decent. Will 6D get the axe? Maybe? I think that there are reasonable odds that Canon produces at least 1 more lower-end full frame DSLR, but it might be a few years coming.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I can't imagine that Canon would discontinue the most popular enthusiast/professional DSLRs until at least 1 generation failed to generate good sales. Surely, 80D, 5D4, and 1D2 will all see successors, as these are some of Canon's most popular high-end models. I don't think low end DSLRs (xxxD Rebels) will disappear until an APSC mirrorless or EOS M accounts for the lion's share of mirrorless, and at the moment, we're far, far away from that, even though EOS M is pretty decent. Will 6D get the axe? Maybe? I think that there are reasonable odds that Canon produces at least 1 more lower-end full frame DSLR, but it might be a few years coming.
The way that their product cycles are currently working will enable them to keep their 5D/6D line of DSLRs attractive for a bit if they want to, since they can jump a generation a few years ahead of the R, it is unclear at this point if the top-end mirrorless will get a sensor derived from the upcoming 1DX III or the (still rather good) 1DX II.

Upvote 0
2 remarks:
- 6D mark2 sensor is not explicitly quoted... ("...full frame mirrorless camera that appears to have the same resolution as the EOS 6D Mark II" : same resolution does not mean same sensor ...)
- No more battery reference quoted (but LP-E17 quoted in the initial rumor only)

And, .... I am waiting for a 80D/7D2 replacement .... :) (actual gear is 500D/T1i) ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
2 remarks:
- 6D mark2 sensor is not explicitly quoted... ("...full frame mirrorless camera that appears to have the same resolution as the EOS 6D Mark II" : same resolution does not mean same sensor ...)
- No more battery reference quoted (but LP-E17 quoted in the initial rumor only)
Based on all the years past and from what the EOS R is, it is pretty obvious what is happening.

Also, kind of interesting that the weight of the LP-E17 does fit to the difference between the two quoted weights, one with the battery and card and one without.
Just another coincidence, surely :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Based on all the years past and from what the EOS R is, it is pretty obvious what is happening.

Also, kind of interesting that the weight of the LP-E17 does fit to the difference between the two quoted weights, one with the battery and card and one without.
Just another coincidence, surely :)

So it could be LP-E10 45g, 860 mAh !! :) :)

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
=eyeroll=

We didn't all come into this forum and immediately start spouting nonsense. It's a pity so many use their 'right' to do that.
Everyone spouts nonsense from time to time on this forum but only seem to dislike other peoples nonsense. We all need to learn to have a bit of tolerance to people who disagree with our own opinions. Whether you like the potential RP or not is a matter of opinion and its formed by where we are coming from and what we want. It's an open forum where all members can freely express an opinion. You never learn anything or change if you don't consider other opinions.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
nooooo .... IBIS should be inside the body ... beak toward the target and .... ass in front of the sensor :)
You are correct for the IBIS-ibis. Here is another CR[0] from Nokishita for the 5R. IBIS-ibis is primarily for shorter focal length lenses. IS-ibis is being developed for supertelephotos.
IBIS_5R.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0