Canon EOS RP to cost $1599? [CR1]

Apr 25, 2011
At the end of the day, it wouldn't surprise me if Canon jumps on the Sony sensor manufacture bandwagon to allow them to focus more on the end product and fine tuning the sensor and auto focus system.
I would rather see Canon ditching/downplaying their DIGIC DSPs and cooperating with NVIDIA instead... like Sony did in PS3.

NVIDIA, by the way, is fabless.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
There is the EOS-R which is $2300. Only one lens is $3000. The 35mm 1.8 is $499, the 24-105 is $1099. There are tons of great and cheap EF lenses which can be used.
Isn't it amazing how a single $3,000 lens becomes "Only $3,000 lenses are available" in the minds of some? I've seen that idea posted over and over concerning thr RF lens line-up... which is still in it's infancy. People are crazy blind sometimes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yes, I heard about that Sony camera too, 8K 100mp... comes with a built in hot plate so that you can fry an egg while shooting video.
Not true! Go to menu 1 subsection 3 subsection 29, then menu 12 subsection 1008, list 42, and turn winter mode off. Sony added the "Winter Mode Hand-warmer" for the Canadians and Scandinavians. Sony thinks of everything. Canon is doomed. Wait! You were writing about the "Camp Stove" feature. Can't help you.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Except if you want the ergonomics and low cost, you go for the crop sensor DSLR. There are still a lot of people in that category. The excellent 80D is still only about half the cost of this new mirrorless camera and it will certainly have it beat in many areas. Don't forget, the difference in quality between full frame and crop is noticeable only under limited circumstances. Daylight shooting, impossible to tell the difference. With each generation of sensor that difference narrows. Bodies like the SL2 show that it is possible to make small and low cost in a DSLR as well. Not as small as an M, but certainly small enough for many people.

And, that's not even considering specialty crop frame bodies like the 7D, which are likely to continue to find a niche market for many years to come.

I could tell the difference between images taken with a 7D and 5D Mark II in very bright daylight at a glance. The higher DR of the 5DII preserved a lot more of the details in the bright sky and clouds than the 7D when shot at the same exposure settings. The sky was also noisier in the 7D images.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
the VW golf sells well.
thought it is not a car automobile enthusiasts would get excited about.

i guess canon is now the VW of camera brands...

Pretty much. The Rebels are VWs, the x0Ds are Audis, the 7 and 5 series are Porsches, and the 1 series are Lamborghinis.

Volkswagen Group sells passenger cars under the Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda and the flagship Volkswagen marques; motorcycles under the Ducati brand; and TRATON (commercial vehicles, trucks, and buses) under the marques MAN, Scania, and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
which was a bargain compared to the $7000 1Ds. I think the mkII was $2-2.5k though, wasn't it? Or maybe my memory is off but I recall the price jumped up a notch at some point (think it was the mkIII, then the 6D got in at about where the 5DmkII had been)?

The price of the 5D Mark II from authorized sellers in the U.S. in March of 2011 when I bought mine was $3,299 with the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS. I seem to recall the body only option was about $800 less at the time, with the lens selling for around $1,100. I decided to buy the 5DII/EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS kit and sell the lens if I didn't find it useful.

CanonPriceWatch only goes back to August 2010, when it was $2,700 for body only. Camelcamelcamel is currently offline for hardware upgrades. Wikipedia says the list price at launch in Spring of 2008 was $2,699.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Is the price going to $1299, $1499, or $1599 body only? Is the kit lens really going to be the RF 24-105mm for about $2100 or $2400 ; $2200 or $2500 with the adaptor but hope is that the soon to be announced 24-240mm lens and the 35mm lens will be kitted with it for $1900 or $2200; $2000 or $2300 with the adaptor?

Last edited:
Upvote 0