Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

The photo details seem to be quite plausible and would be great if true. The video side of things is highly unlikely, but not impossible. As others have mentioned, it doesn't mention any caveats but there definitely would be some if this was true.

If video specs were true (and I'm being way too optimistic here) then this is my guess at caveats:
4K @ 60 would be internal, but have a crop and possibly no DPAF (this would also protect the 1DXIII a bit)
4k @ 120 possible to only an external recorder and would also probably be cropped with no DPAF
8K RAW @ 30 would definitely be only to an external recorder and can't imagine it ever having DPAF.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

bitcars

5D mark II
Apr 24, 2019
I dont see 12-20fps camera with 45mp mirorless, whats the 1dxiii for then? No one would buy it anymore

I'm not worried about the 1D X III sale. It's not meant for the mass public camera enthusiasts whatsoever.

Even if the specs are true, professional would still buy the 1Dx III. Spec sheet isn't what they are after. The cameras pros choose are the ones they can rely on 24/7 100% of the time, and 1Dx III will still stand out to be the best tool for that. Beside the fast fps, it has rugged build quality, extremely long battery life, OVF deep learning AF, high speed wifi connectivity, infinite buffer, low light high ISO performance, etc. These features together make a very tangible difference for the pros. The RS likely won't have any features like that.

On the flip side, Canon needs to sell RF lens very badly. For the long term, sales of RF lenses outweighs that of the 1Dx III body, which may already be the last DSLR of its kind. So I am not too surprised if Canon manages to develop a RS (or R5) with specs that sells itself. The sooner they manage that the quicker they can rake in returns from all the R&D dumped into making the RF lens.

I mean why they bother to come up with IBIS + lens IS = 7+8 stops? So they can sell each body with one of the trinity RF lenses!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
what on earth can you NOT do with 45mb that hinders you, im curious!
I hope it’s still gonna be 75mp be I I shoot cinematic portraits and I crop them with a 16:9 ratio so I’m having to lose pixels in the crop and then I print large but like the resolution because I want viewers to get up close and look at details.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
For the first time on CR I totally skipped all the comments. The powers that be sure like to get us all revved up so that we can natter and complain for weeks afterwards when it's not even close to being factual! I refuse to be drawn into this.;)
If it is factual... I can't wait to read the complainers when released. "This should have been 150mp."

• Haha
Upvote 0
Woow! Holy Shh****t! 45mp would be awesome for stills! IBIS is a great add but not a killer spec to me, to be honest I do prefer IS on lenses. But well, works fine in the a7r3.

But man.....video specs are just insane! 8k raw??? WTF?? For me I was convinced with the 4k 120fps I don´t want nothing else than that, a good codec, external recording capability and c-log.

This camera would fit like creampie with the 1dxmkIII, 1 fast body, 1 resolution body, both insane video specs! I´m sold!

Man, this camera looks promising and i am FU***ing happy! I dont want to be 100% optimistic because of course this are just specs, but its a hell of a start and we now most of the things came out pretty close from rumors!

Send it Canon and you have my money and a big good bye Sony experience. Back to my Wife Canon after having an affair with Sony! :D

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
  • Love
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
If the new Samsung S20 Ultra smartphone can record 8K then I see no reason it should be impossible for a modern standalone camera to also accomplish this feat. These are the specs we should expect circa 2020 specs. Let’s hope it’s true. I would also love to see some of the computational photography/videography tricks of smartphones make their way into cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I'm not worried about the 1D X III sale. It's not meant for the mass public camera enthusiasts whatsoever.

Even if the specs are true, professional would still buy the 1Dx III.

If these specs are anywhere in the neighborhood of true*, who cares about the 1DX3. Canon could charge $4500 and be backordered until 2020 and laugh all the way to the bank.

*e.g. weird crop modes, AF limits, etc

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I am (more than) OK with this part

• 45mp (One source said 40mp)
  • IBIS
    • 5 stops with IBIS alone
    • 7-8 stops of correction when used with in-lens stabilization
  • 14fps / 20fps (One source said 12fps / 20fps)
  • Scroll wheel added to the back
  • No touchbar
  • Liveview/Movie toggle like previous EOS DSLRs
  • Larger capacity battery, but looks like the LP-E6
Irrespective of video features which I do not believe them.

BUT I do not believe the stills photo part either.

This would consolide the high megapixel and the MkV equivalent to one body (especially if it was 40Mpixels and it had 2 cards).

Not bad at all but this is so not Canon. They can but they will get more money from 2 bodies. Even Nikon made D780 with the same mpixel count of D750 (and bettered almost every other aspect).

So I believe Canon will make a similar model (with video specs a notch down) but with 30Mpixels and a much higher one with even less video capabilities and much lower frame rates.

I don't believe the 4k / 120fps or the 8k video spec, but the rest could definitely be delivered with current tech and makes sense. With this you need a 5mp EVF with 120 htz refresh rate and AF that works even when you have a heavy load of AF + 12fps/ 14fps burst mode and a deep buffer (more than 50 RAW's). I find the 12fps more feasible than the 14fps which requires a lot of throughput required and it is starting to push the 1dx III speed spec. At a 40mpx sensor, you would be talking twice the throughput of a 1dx III that tops out at 20mpx. @ 20fps max. The 20fps could be with shutter locked up or similar to the cropped burst mode in the m6 II. As to the 2 bodies vs 1, it is all about margin and unfits. If they can deliver system that hits a lot of variety capabilities, it may make more sense from a manufacturing perspective to do one body and save the production and support costs. Many companies that slice/dice their product find that it is better to consolidate some models than carry the manufacturing and warehousing costs of a more diverse product line. I don't think Canon can continue to count on brand name to be successful. I have seen other companies sit on their hands thinking they don't have to compete get run over by the new guys. Canon voiced a straggly of putting high quality lenses in place for their next generation, is time to deliver the bodies that take advantage of $2-$3k lenses. The next 30 days should show if there is any validity in the rumor. BTW- I will place my order the minute a camera with these specs is announced.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
At 40 to 45 megapixels? That will be a disappointment for me. I've been a heavy investor to the R system because I was expecting resolution to at least beat my 5DSR.

This isn't going to be an Rs, as in a 5Ds replacement. (It's the Canon EOS 5Ds and 5Ds R, not the 5DS and 5DSr!)

Either:

It's going to be an RS, as in an α7S direct competitor.

OR

It's going to be an R5, as in the first RF "5-series" body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I hope it’s still gonna be 75mp be I I shoot cinematic portraits and I crop them with a 16:9 ratio so I’m having to lose pixels in the crop and then I print large but like the resolution because I want viewers to get up close and look at details.
What prevents you from framing properly to begin with? Curious.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'm an Olympus EM1m2 user with their pro lenses, eagerly waiting to enter FF by getting one of these 2 R bodies and a RF 70-200mm f2.8 for starters. Since it looks like one is 40-45MP and another 75MP or so, I would be ecstatic to have either one.

Canon has a chance to give a body blow to the sales of Sony FF & APS-C both if they pull off these kinds of specs. And I'm one person that *must* have a fully articulating screen and I get it with Canon and can't with Sony - yay!

Hurry up Canon, and show both, so I can decide which one to buy!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I'm an Olympus EM1m2 user with their pro lenses, eagerly waiting to enter FF by getting one of these 2 R bodies and a RF 70-200mm f2.8 for starters. Since it looks like one is 40-45MP and another 75MP or so, I would be ecstatic to have either one.

Canon has a chance to give a body blow to the sales of Sony FF & APS-C both if they pull off these kinds of specs. And I'm one person that *must* have a fully articulating screen and I get it with Canon and can't with Sony - yay!

Hurry up Canon, and show both, so I can decide which one to buy!
They will not do it like that. By the moment you will spend your money on one they will announce the other :D

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I tend to agree that this is a bunch of baloney. How could a "source" know that the battery is new, but looks like the LP-E6 and not be able to tell if the model is "5" or "S." If you've been close enough to see the battery, how could you not have been close enough to see the model number?

Still, playing devil's advocate for a minute here: 45 mp scales down to a respectable 17.5 mp in crop mode. It could be possible that Canon is developing a "hybrid" model in the sense that it offers high resolution in full frame mode and faster fps, etc., in crop mode. Perhaps this is the 7D replacement with a full frame sensor. I doubt it, but it does make for an interesting thought experiment.

I'll only believe that Canon can increase the AF tracking speed and maximum fps when using a FF sensor in crop mode if/when we actually see such a camera actually doing that.

As it stands now, the crop mode in the EOS R is no faster than the FF mode. Same 3 fps when doing Servo tracking between each frame whether cropped or FF.

The crop sensor in the M6 Mark II smokes the FF R in crop mode.

Upvote 0