Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

I remember just a couple months ago the specifications for this model were even better. By the time it finally comes out it might be much different yet.

Upvote 0
I do think two bodies announced at the same time is possible - the EOS R5 (a more all-rounder, 40-ish megapixels with some variation of the above specs, but close to the 1DX III in video specs) and a EOS R5s that is a high-resolution model (70-80 megapixels) but lacking some speed and video specs. That would be great as the super high-resolution doesn't entice me much and 30 megapixels is plenty for photo needs... but I want a Canon mirrorless camera with REAL video specs and features. The 1DX III crushed that, but not a great body (huge, fixed screen, can't use variable ND adapter, etc etc) for video.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
It's very hard to know what route Canon will take.

In the 1D world they decided to combine the 1D and 1Ds lines so it is possible they are moving to combine the 5D and 5Ds lines too. This would match the broad trends in the industry - both Nikon and Sony offer high resolution cameras with higher frame rates. The A7R IV is 61MP with 10 fps (though frequently with Sony you'll find their highest fps comes with various caveats about bit rate and other features, I can't remember with the A7R IV though). I think it's unlikely Canon will bring out another high spec camera with a frame rate that is very low.

A new line up might be the R as the jack of all trades for reasonable price (somewhere between the 5D and 6D), the Rp as the low price entry simple model, the Rs as the higher resolution, more expensive option but still with decent fps (something like the D850/A7R line) and then maybe in time an Rx model to bring the 1D line into the RF mount.

I really have no idea - was the R just a one-off start to mirrorless or indicative of where things might go?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If we were to take Canon's history of releasing cameras/specs over the years then this is way uncharacteristic so I'm not holding my breath.

If we take their past into consideration, this is most likely from what I think
Camera 1. 5Ds style mirrorless: high MP slow shutter (4-5fps)
Camera 2. 5Div style mirrorless: 8-9fps, 30-32mp (canon always do baby steps with improvements)

I dont see 12-20fps camera with 45mp mirorless, whats the 1dxiii for then? No one would buy it anymore

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
If we were to take Canon's history of releasing cameras/specs over the years then this is way uncharacteristic so I'm not holding my breath.

If we take their past into consideration, this is most likely from what I think
Camera 1. 5Ds style mirrorless: high MP slow shutter (4-5fps)
Camera 2. 5Div style mirrorless: 8-9fps, 30-32mp (canon always do baby steps with improvements)

I dont see 12-20fps camera with 45mp mirorless, whats the 1dxiii for then? No one would buy it anymore
I think you are correct in a conservative assumption since that is Canon M.O.. And if it goes that way we would probably be in the same pattern with the usual rodeo of:

1. Bitching from all fronts upon announcement (especially when compared to Sony)
2. Followed by YouTube pundits bashing it without real world experience for clickbait
3. Actual people using, enjoying and making wonderful images.
4. Canon, still not doomed since 1937.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Maybe, Canon used similar logic to what they did for the 1DXiii, the resisted the urge to win the megapixel war, and are producing a camera that has "enough" pixels for wedding and landscape photographers, but handles them at a faster speed? Part of the reason the 1DXiii was 20MP was wifi data transmission. A mirrorless 5D wouldn't need that as much so the emphasis could be on what they could send to the cards. I hope the 40MP and 12 fps parts are true. That would be an amazing camera.
I agree of course. I just don't see it happening. I hope I am wrong!

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
How do you get eye-AF to stay on the eye YOU want it on? Mine always jumps from eye to eye, and at f/2.2 and wider, that's frustrating. I gave up on it, even with all the latest fw updates...
On my R with Eye AF turned on I hit the 1580160769666.png and then use the 1580160822006.png to select the eye I want. Works well most of the time. Also great when you have multiple people and you want a specific subject.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Any weather sealing? a must for a pro body.
Well, with better specs than the EOS R, I would expect it would have at least as good sealing as the R, and since the R has been shown to withstand 50 minutes of rainfall unprotected, I'm not sure how much better weather sealing you're really holding out for...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think you are correct in a conservative assumption since that is Canon M.O.. And if it goes that way we would probably be in the same pattern with the usual rodeo of:

1. Bitching from all fronts upon announcement (especially when compared to Sony)
2. Followed by YouTube pundits bashing it without real world experience for clickbait
3. Actual people using, enjoying and making wonderful images.
4. Canon, still not doomed since 1937.

agree with you 100%

Upvote 0