Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
  • 1Ds are more than just specs. They ergonomics, build quality, and dependability. So, dunking on a few specs, fine. Especially if Canon gives the 1DX III users a few things the R5 doesn't have (better weathersealing, battery life, shutter life, autofocus, autofocus and autofocus, etc). Plus, if Canon wants to appease the current 1D users but then get everyone else to transition to an R...this does make sense to me.

Agree, but there also comes an inflection point where pure horsepower actually can trump the unspoken things that make the 1-series so great.

A 45 x 20 FF mirrorless body -- even in an underfeatured EOS R sort of setup -- will absolutely erode 1DX3 sales to some extent.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
8k movie? - The sensor res supports this: 8 x (2/3 * 8) gives around 43 MPix.
Great to downscale from 8k to 4k and have a 4x post zoom for 1080p.
But just if this camera is 1000 € I need a 32 TByte storage, a new well powered PC and an 8k display to use the 8k advantage. This is another 10...20k to spend!
Well, now I am trying to do some video stuff with 1080p which is good enough for some simple documentary / explanatory video (just 480p would do for that).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
What would you like to print that large that people would still want to look at from such a short distance, you'd need 300ppi?
Like I said, something like a city skyline/view from a skyscraper... Would be neat to be able to look at it from a normal viewing distance, but then also to be able to get close and see details right down to people. I took some photos off of the Empire State Building a few years ago and printed one fairly large. You can make out people walking on the street in the foreground, but they are little more than black dots at the resolution I shot it at.

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
only read the first page.. don't need to read the rest. This is a complete waste of time and a joke. 40MP and 8K 30fps? HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA Even IF the 1Dx3 equivalent for the RF mount was to come, this is just ridiculous. Forget about a new crazy ML canon.. I'm going to expect something crazy this coming April fools from this site.. better not fail me then CR! I want something bigger than this. :LOL:

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If it would have say 6k30p instead of 8k30p RAW, it would have got me thinking... But hey, even the 1dx mkIII can't output this so why should Canon release something like this? Of course if this is close to truth, they would destroy all comptetition, but doing so they would also destroy their own 1dx MkIII, except for those who absolutely need the extra speed and buffer.

8k needs a 36-ish MP sensor, so with its puny 20MP the 1dx3 can't do 8k, 6k at most. But current Canon cameras only do 400-450MPixels/s, 8k30p would need about 1000-1200MPixel/s.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I think that that video specification is where the technical challenge comes in. A sensor readout fast enough to support the specs requires a leap in the technology currently in use by Canon. In addition to the heat generated by the faster components, some form of advancement in the sensor is needed to get the speeds along with high quality. Canon has tons of patents on how to improve sensors, but since we have not seen those improvements, they must now have found a reliable and affordable way to get a jump in performance. It isn't just heat and processor power, a lot of things have to improve. Canon is not going to change the formula that works for them, the selling price is critical to their success, so they squeeze every penny to hit a target price.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Assuming this is even true, perhaps they are using dual DIGIC X vs the single in the 1DX3 to achieve the throughput? The 5DSR also used dual DIGIC.
Yes 5DsR used Dual Digic 6 but 1DxII used dual Digic 6+ (and yet a 3rd lower capacity one for metering) . The 1 series body was also the one with more processing power (or Mpixels/sec if you will)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Assuming this is even true, perhaps they are using dual DIGIC X vs the single in the 1DX3 to achieve the throughput? The 5DSR also used dual DIGIC.

Canon has said that 'Digic X' is more a platform than it is a single chip, implying they can make it bigger/hotter/faster and smaller/cooler/slower depending on the needs of the camera.
Having said that, I doubt they'll put a version that's twice as fast/hot in a physically smaller body. Unless the one in the 1dx3 runs so cool ice cubes fall out of the cfexpress slots.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Since Z-Cam's are announced, all camera manufacturers are sweating. The lower part of Canon and Sony's cine line are under threat... I'm sure they will implement at least 4K 120fps soon in their mirrorless body and in other cine cameras.
Good point, and so much for what's possible or not, and z-cam uses CFast cards. CFExpress opens a whole new door for video. Maybe Prograde had some inside info when they decided to focus on CFExpress. If 50% of this rumor is true, get ready to lighten your wallets. First the body, then the CFExpress cards, and finally all those really nice expensive RF lenses :).

Upvote 0

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
I know exactly what is going to happen with this camera...

Whiners demanded two card slots and Canon obliged, but at least one of them is surely going to be CFexpress, which is going to cause a bunch of additional complaining.

It's already started. The card-slot cry-bullies have already started in about the rumors of one of them being CFExpress and one not. But if BOTH were CFExpress they'd whine about the expense. If BOTH were SD they'd whine about the speed.

They were always going to cry about something.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
It's already started. The card-slot cry-bullies have already started in about the rumors of one of them being CFExpress and one not. But if BOTH were CFExpress they'd whine about the expense. If BOTH were SD they'd whine about the speed.

They were always going to cry about something.
Cannon should make a camera for you guys with zero slots since you obviously don’t think your pictures are worth preserving. :)
Btw. Whining about other people whining is still just whining.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0