Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
If it would have say 6k30p instead of 8k30p RAW, it would have got me thinking... But hey, even the 1dx mkIII can't output this so why should Canon release something like this? Of course if this is close to truth, they would destroy all comptetition, but doing so they would also destroy their own 1dx MkIII, except for those who absolutely need the extra speed and buffer.
Those who buy a 1 series are those who need the speed, the buffer, and the battleship construction. They also need the BIG body to balance the BIG lenses that they almost always use. This would have little effect on 1DX III sales.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Laslen

5D Mark III
Oct 18, 2014
Cannon should make a card for you guys with zero slots since you obviously don’t think your pictures are worth preserving. :)
Btw. Whining about other people whining is still just whining.
I can tell you where nobody whines about two card slots... the forums for Canon's competitors who have been putting two card slots in their mirrorless bodies for a long time.

You'll never see someone on there saying, "Omg I hate having two card slots, they need to take one out!"

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Those who buy a 1 series are those who need the speed, the buffer, and the battleship construction. They also need the BIG body to balance the BIG lenses that they almost always use. This would have little effect on 1DX III sales.

Disagree. Not everyone slinging around a 1-series camera is some ball turret gunning sports sideline photog or Nat Geo wildlifer who needs a built-for-war ruggedized instrument.

Some are reach obsessed birders. 45x20 would open up all kinds of cropportunities for them.

Some are the younger crowd who just want crazy throughput even if it's not 1-series indestructible.

Some get one because it's the most affordable higher end Canon video rig they can build, but they would welcome a smaller offering or one with a tilty-flippy.

Some are reportage folks, who don't need or want a big conspicuous instrument to cover (say) city events or local politics.

We don't know the price of this unicorn of a camera, or if it will ever happen. But if it does happen, [45 x 20] + IBIS + [heretofore-unheard-of video specs] will ab-so-lutely steal some degree of 1DX3 business.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
How do you get eye-AF to stay on the eye YOU want it on? Mine always jumps from eye to eye, and at f/2.2 and wider, that's frustrating. I gave up on it, even with all the latest fw updates...
It generally picks the closer eye (I half press the shutter button). When it isn't on the eye I want I release my half press and then half press again. Most of the time, this works for me.

Upvote 0
The 50D does 2K video?

It's close(1980 something instead of 2048 in crop mode, 15xx in full frame mode) to 2K RAW video with Magic Lantern, even though it was never designed to handle video. It can only shoot 14 bit RAW, it can't shoot 10 or 12 bit RAW due to the processor limitation.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Those of you saying the 8k spec is impossible simply don't know how Japan works. NHK sets bar for video performance and then they "assign" tasks to different manufacturers (and Canon is certainly part of the mix) to make sure that bar is crossed. The 2020 Olympics is the inauguration event for NHK 8k broadcasting, so expect to see a LOT of 8k capable equipment this year. There is nothing in this spec that is not achievable with the support of CFExpress cards. I expect this the nominal 5D4 replacement and we will later (or maybe simultaneously) see the 5DS replacement with 75 or 80 MP. 39.3 MP is the minimum 3x2 resolution needed to make 8k, so either 40 or 45 make sense as the crop would be essentially zero for 40 and very minimal for 45. The R lenses are good enough to support a hi MP camera and Canon won't let that goodness go to waste, so count on the 80MP version as well. Given that express lanes are a bit power hungry, we may see only one card slot or one CFExpress and one SD (with performance limitations), but only time will tell. The amount and quality of the RF glass introduced sends the clear message that Canon is serious about the line and they have no intention of being outflanked by the likes of Sony, so expect big things in 2020. Another note re 8k and "killing the cinema line". For decent judder performance, 8k really NEEDS 60 fps, so you can also expect the cinema line to move to 8k/60 by NAB time. It is going to be a fun (and expensive) year. Don't forget to snap up that 8k TV set :). BTW, in burst mode, the m6 II reads out over half as fast as 8k/30, so in theory, at least, a dual Digic8 would be able to handle the data, but we are likely looking at something more akin to the DigicX (I.e. a next gen lithography processor).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This camera's fps is too quick and the MP count being lower than the 5D S makes me think that this is more of 5D mirrorless equivalent, than a 5D S mirrorless equivalent.
There is nothing equivalent about this rumored camera and the 5D series. If this rumor is real, the camera body slams the 5D series. Body slams it, guts it, and then eats it... you know what happens after that. ;)

Upvote 0
Disagree. Not everyone slinging around a 1-series camera is some ball turret gunning sports sideline photog or Nat Geo wildlifer who needs a built-for-war ruggedized instrument.

I've owned perhaps six or seven 1 series cameras over time. I've always thought the size and weight was dumb, as ever since the battery issues were solved early on, it has been clear that the same functionality could be delivered with less bulk. I move from shooting 1dx2s to a pair of 5d4 cameras mainly for the resolution and the bulk issues.

I am not alone. But I have no indication that Canon is aware of this, or cares to serve this market if it is aware of it.

That this spec list could be true, indicating a complete reversal of precedent, is as likely as the camera being manufactured out of recycled banana peels and fairy kisses.

Upvote 0
Yes 5DsR used Dual Digic 6 but 1DxII used dual Digic 6+ (and yet a 3rd lower capacity one for metering) . The 1 series body was also the one with more processing power (or Mpixels/sec if you will)

Maybe, Canon used similar logic to what they did for the 1DXiii, the resisted the urge to win the megapixel war, and are producing a camera that has "enough" pixels for wedding and landscape photographers, but handles them at a faster speed? Part of the reason the 1DXiii was 20MP was wifi data transmission. A mirrorless 5D wouldn't need that as much so the emphasis could be on what they could send to the cards. I hope the 40MP and 12 fps parts are true. That would be an amazing camera.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon

Some are reach obsessed birders. 45x20 would open up all kinds of cropportunities for them.

Some are the younger crowd who just want crazy throughput even if it's not 1-series indestructible.

Some get one because it's the most affordable higher end Canon video rig they can build, but they would welcome a smaller offering or one with a tilty-flippy.

Some are reportage folks, who don't need or want a big conspicuous instrument to cover (say) city events or local politics.

We don't know the price of this unicorn of a camera, or if it will ever happen. But if it does happen, [45 x 20] + IBIS + [heretofore-unheard-of video specs] will ab-so-lutely steal some degree of 1DX3 business.

- A
Steal is a pejorative word. I would rather think Canon might be directing the business toward the RF mount. Remember that in many ways, the 1DX III is just the last, biggest, meanest dinosaur (at least if you believe the mirrorless hype). The 1DX III exists because Canon is very careful to not offend their professional photographer customers and their huge investment in EF glass. For all the rest of us, they WANT us to buy into RF and get hooked on the cool RF glass they have introduced. Remember, the money is in the glass, not the bodies. BTW, can't imagine why a birder would buy a 1DX for "reach". This spec pretty much covers the needs of the 7D II crowd, likely with a bit of a price premium and now, presto, they are in RF land.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Those of you saying the 8k spec is impossible simply don't know how Japan works. NHK sets bar for video performance and then they "assign" tasks to different manufacturers (and Canon is certainly part of the mix) to make sure that bar is crossed. The 2020 Olympics is the inauguration event for NHK 8k broadcasting, so expect to see a LOT of 8k capable equipment this year. There is nothing in this spec that is not achievable with the support of CFExpress cards. I expect this the nominal 5D4 replacement and we will later (or maybe simultaneously) see the 5DS replacement with 75 or 80 MP. 39.3 MP is the minimum 3x2 resolution needed to make 8k, so either 40 or 45 make sense as the crop would be essentially zero for 40 and very minimal for 45. The R lenses are good enough to support a hi MP camera and Canon won't let that goodness go to waste, so count on the 80MP version as well. Given that express lanes are a bit power hungry, we may see only one card slot or one CFExpress and one SD (with performance limitations), but only time will tell. The amount and quality of the RF glass introduced sends the clear message that Canon is serious about the line and they have no intention of being outflanked by the likes of Sony, so expect big things in 2020. Another note re 8k and "killing the cinema line". For decent judder performance, 8k really NEEDS 60 fps, so you can also expect the cinema line to move to 8k/60 by NAB time. It is going to be a fun (and expensive) year. Don't forget to snap up that 8k TV set :).

Just because Japan wants to raise its game in broadcast video doesn't mean we all get some Bugatti supercar for an ILC.

I remain deeply skeptical of this rumor.

- A

Upvote 0
Steal is a pejorative word.
... The 1DX III exists because Canon is very careful to not offend their professional photographer customers and their huge investment in EF glass.

There is some irony here. The 1DXiii exists because it is the fastest, instant viewfinder, minimal blackout, camera with by far the largest buffer for people that need to shoot at high shutter speeds in mixed lighting. Of course it does other things too, but to say that they made the best sports and action camera ever, just to not offend is wrong.

The tech is just not their for an instant EVF with almost no blackout, but it is getting closer, but it's not hear yet--by any vendor.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Remember, the money is in the glass, not the bodies.

Do go on ;)

1580155394441.png

I hear that margins on glass Canon has already sold us are surprisingly not that robust.

Canon might hasten migration from SLRs to mirrorless for a host of business reasons in a host of little enticing ways, but unleashing some spec destroyer bull in a china shop is just not what they do.

The closest we've gotten to a pleasant surprise on the Canon is stepping-it-up front:
  • Dropping the 5D4 sensor into EOS R for only $2299.
  • M6 II getting 32 x 14.5 throughput
Now compare those two above to the spec list of this rumor. No way.

The company that thought that ancient sensor tech was cool to keep putting into current camera bodies...

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 2.12.20 PM.png

...would now give us a super camera from the future? It just doesn't add up.

- A

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Just because Japan wants to raise its game in broadcast video doesn't mean we all get some Bugatti supercar for an ILC.

I remain deeply skeptical of this rumor.

- A
Just remember that without years of pressure from NHK (starting in the late 70's) you would probably still be watching 525 line TV and any camera that shot simple HD video would be a Bugatti. The NHK process violates just about every American concept of anti-trust, but it works.

Upvote 0