Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

D

Deleted member 68328

yes, but that's DIGIC 6+ to 8. 1DX Mark III is already using Canon's latest processor: DIGIC X.

1DX Mark III - 600 shots CIPA with LP-E19 battery, with Canon's new DIGIC X.
Fabled camera - shoots at double the processing, so let's assume around double the power consumed. 300 shots using a LP-E19.
fabled camera - uses something similar to a LP-E6N - let's assume it's something similar to the new sony battery that's around 1/2 the power of the LP-E19. so around 150-200 shots.

of course it's not an exact science. but there is a strong correlation to how hard the processors and the power consumed.

we also didn't even touch on heat - this body will run around twice as hot as well. It will need a coffee mug RF adapter

What about buffer? If you can only shoot at 12fps/40-42MP for 5 sec would that drastically improve battery life?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Meh. Even if it is true I dont think it is legal to sell my wife in order to raise the funds. It certainly sounds like someone had too much of the coolaid bit just imagine the reaction of it were true. There would be more panic caused than the coronavirus is causing

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Wow, if the sensor comes with a DR of 14 Stops + and good low light capabilities it would be a true killer Camera, finally a worthy opponent for the sony a7 RIII and the D850!
I guess it depends on how you consider "worthy". The current Eos R is clearly a 1st attempt at a mirrorless camera by Canon and typically for Canon it's selling loads and loads as a cler market leader. However....for me, it's just too much of an immature product. The AF is no where near as mature as it is on a 5D4 or even a 5D3. So the megapixel count and DR is fairly irrelevant. How the camera handles and shoots is far more important to me. The difference between 22mp / 32mp / 45mp is really not that important. As a professional wedding, portrait and landscape photographer....hitting 22mp was a milestone in image quality but I've not seen any great returns over that figure. Yes there's a bit more sensor detail, but that's often lost unless the camera is put on a tripod. So for me, the rest of the camera is more important. I also couldn't give a stuff on what Sony are releasing. I need a camera with professional levels of build and dealer / CPN support. Add to the fact that Canon still has the widest lens portfolio than any other brand and apart from a few clunkers (like the ef 50mm f1.2L) their lens quality, build and AF are usually superior if not the finest available.

Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
It's close(1980 something instead of 2048 in crop mode, 15xx in full frame mode) to 2K RAW video with Magic Lantern, even though it was never designed to handle video. It can only shoot 14 bit RAW, it can't shoot 10 or 12 bit RAW due to the processor limitation.

1980 wouldn't be 'close' to 2K, because 2K video means anything between 1920x1080 (full HD) and 2048x1536 (QXGA). It's a blurry marketing term, rather than a specification.

Upvote 0
Wow, if the sensor comes with a DR of 14 Stops + and good low light capabilities it would be a true killer Camera, finally a worthy opponent for the sony a7 RIII and the D850!
Does anybody seriously believe Canon is able to deliver a sensor with DR superior to Sony?
45 or 80mp, I'm really hoping the DR will be on par with 5DIV.

Upvote 0
Hmm why compare to 1DXIII when R is a closer example, probably the new camera will be of a similar build/electronics but with DIGIC X CPU which is supposedly more efficient.
Compared to the R, going from 30 to 45 Mp takes ~1.5 more power so the expected number of shots would go from 370 to ~250, but more efficient CPU should help to get more.
However I doubt all power goes to processing megapixels. There's shutter, there's EVF/LCD illumination, there's AF, there are IS motors. All that power consumption doesn't depend on the megapixel count.
to support 20 fps will consume far more power than the EOS R's 8 fps. that means the clocking of the sensor has to be faster, then processor has to process the images faster, and so on, even if you dont use the fps, the sensor and processor is going to move data that much more quickly because it has to for when you do engage continuous high speed.

and even if you forget stills performance, consider the video which IS a direct comparison against the 1DX III.

so no, the EOS R is not a good comparison, there's too many factors different.

Upvote 0
Somebody before stated that Canon representatives was telling that something big is coming.... with Sony recent announce the A9 MkII (and the A7 MkIV already in the Market) it would look just like an effort to keep the people waiting still in the Canon side. Here in Europe, CPS people start to show the brand new 1Dx MkIII to selected photographers only, around december. In one of this meetings, some representative of Canon Europe repete this mantra: something big is coming ....we open the ears and we received the info of a new powerful R camera is coming (although two at least are coming).. and this SPECS come to light¡! I did not believed them when I listened them from my coleagues...but curiously they almost match with the ones rumores now here. We have listened a sensor with 40 Mb, High DR, around 12 FPS , IBIS from 5-8 stops with Lens IS, .... respect Video, I guess the 8K is related to Time Lapse too.

we shall see in the coming weeks ... but Canon is almost total dedícated now to the new EOS R system. The EOS EF system is dead, large life to the king !!

And yes, as far as we were told, two new Eos R cameras are coming.... mostly the R version of the 5D MkIV and the 5Ds (a 1Dx version is too early as they also need long lenses RF mount not yet available).... but Canon has to say that it is still in the game and it is still the trade mark to beat in the market....and a camera of this type it will keep them in the top. So may be now the replacement/equivalent in EOS R of the very well loved/performance 5D MkIV is now a priority.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Somebody before stated that Canon representatives was telling that something big is coming.... with Sony recent announce the A9 MkII (and the A7 MkIV already in the Market) it would look just like an effort to keep the people waiting still in the Canon side. Here in Europe, CPS people start to show the brand new 1Dx MkIII to selected photographers. In one of this meetings, some representative of Canon Europe repete this mantra: something big is coming ....we open the ears and we received the info of a new powerful R camera is coming (although two at least are coming).. and this SPECS come to light¡! I did not believed them when I listened them from my coleagues...but curiously they almost match with the ones rumores here. We have listened a sensor with 40 Mb, High DR, around 12 FPS .... respect Video, I guess the 8K is related to Time Lapse too.

we shall see in the coming weeks ... but Canon is almost total dedícated now to the new EOS R system. The EOS EF sistema is dead, large life to the king !!

And yes, as far as we were told, two new Eos R cameras are coming.... mostly the R version of the 5D MkIV and the 5Ds (a 1Dx version is too early as they also need long lenses RF mount not yet available).... but Canon has to say that it is still in the game and it is still the tarde mark to beat in the market....and a camera of this tupé it will keep them in the top. So may be now the replacement/equivalent in EOS R of the very well loved/performance 5D MkIV is now a priority.
there was no mention of high DR or the camera's DR at all.

it's certainly possible - I think the video specs are a little wrong. 8K30p I simply can't see canon doing.

Upvote 0
Video mode will definitely be more power-consuming, but we were trying to measure battery life in stills.

Burst mode may be a bit more power-hungry but all burst shots will count towards that 250-300-370-wherever shot limit.
Also faster processing still doesn't mean greater power consumption per shot. Moreover during non-burst shooting it can throttle the CPU clock.

to support 20 fps will consume far more power than the EOS R's 8 fps. that means the clocking of the sensor has to be faster, then processor has to process the images faster, and so on, even if you dont use the fps, the sensor and processor is going to move data that much more quickly because it has to for when you do engage continuous high speed.

and even if you forget stills performance, consider the video which IS a direct comparison against the 1DX III.

so no, the EOS R is not a good comparison, there's too many factors different.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I think the 8k at 30fps RAW and 4K at 120fps means that these specifications are fantasy and made up. The processing power for 8K RAW would be so much above anything else on the market in processing power.
I agree. I think the 1D-X III will be the benchmark, and I expect the specs of all next cameras from Canon with a smaller body to be settled below this level. Not only the processing power would barely allow for such an 8k Raw mode monster, but the next problem would be cooling, in particular in a smaller body. I guess already a relatively short 8k video take would threaten to damage the sensor and its surrounding electronics - in particular if IBIS comes into this game, because a movable sensor can't be cooled as effectively as a fixed sensor. Sony's FF cameras are known for heating problems during longer 4k takes in warm environments because of that. In 2018 Steve Huff has switched from Sony to a 1D-X II because sensor heating of his A9 has ruined two of his jobs: https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2018...-it-and-its-just-what-i-needed-by-steve-huff/

Upvote 0

Trankilstef

Image making loverEOS R and EOS R5 (soon)
Jan 5, 2020
www.stephanetranquillin.com

"I asked to my long time Canon sources and they said those specs are nearly completely wrong. They cannot tell me the real specs because they don’t want to get busted. All they can say is that it’s simply off :( The sensor for example will have a lower resolution than mentioned in this spec list. And there will be no 8K recording! "

Upvote 0

"I asked to my long time Canon sources and they said those specs are nearly completely wrong. They cannot tell me the real specs because they don’t want to get busted. All they can say is that it’s simply off :( The sensor for example will have a lower resolution than mentioned in this spec list. And there will be no 8K recording! "

It would be awesome if the first camera coming were the video camera. Pls canon, make the high megapixel camera come later, and rivalize the future a7III with this one.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
This isn't going to be an Rs, as in a 5Ds replacement. (It's the Canon EOS 5Ds and 5Ds R, not the 5DS and 5DSr!)

Either:

It's going to be an RS, as in an α7S direct competitor.

OR

It's going to be an R5, as in the first RF "5-series" body.

Maybe same.

EOS 5D become video/medium resolution R5. "S" look like "5".

5D Mark II was killer video camera. Also best MP when new.

This camera same.

This all-jobs camera. High MP EOS R worse high ISO, worse low light. This camera better.

This camera for weddings.

Upvote 0
Well....taking a seat and relax and try to manage this info. So, with no scientific approach, we have some huge specs to process. On the stills side, there is nothing much to doubt, 40MP should be a really great spot to most of us, IBIS is a big plus also (although i see this one more as a video plus but good also in stills). I think the camera won´t do much more than 7 to 10 fps, witch is quite good and match the need of almost everyone.

Video specs are the most weird, or at least the most difficult to process! Well...I also don´t believe in 8k raw unless it is somehow a timelapse video feature. However.....I also did not believe in the 5.5k raw in a DSLR....and Canon did it. Maybe the camera can send a direct signal to external recording...And that would be also amazing.
Same with the 4k120fps. Boy I wish that was true! This is "the killer feature" for me in video. 8k raw? Don´t really care, from a wildlife videographer perspective, what we want is a video camera that can make 4k120fps with an eficient and good codec and at least 4:2:0 10 bit. And thats what we need! Canon delivered that in the 1dxmkIII, but 120fps is in FHD witch for me is already quite great!

I don´t think this specs are so unreal likemost of the comments is saying, we know that Sony cameras are rumoring a new A7IV with 4k120fps and a new A7SIII with 8k video. If Canon doesn´t match this well, Sony will still winning the white sheet race. But thats not the point, the point is if Sony also rumoring this, it´s because maybe is not so unreal like that....

What I believe:
Definitely we will have:

HEIF recording in stills with HDR feature like 1dxmkIII
7 to 10FPS in stills
IBIS
HEVC H.265 codec in video with C-log
4k@at least 60fps
FullHD@at least 120fps
10bit 4:2:2 with HEVC and c-log
2 dual slot card for CFEXPRESS
Buffer around 1000 like 1dxmkIII

The rest....we must wait. It is unkonwn the power of the new processor and the magic that canon can make to dissipate the heat. Guess we´ll have to wait a bit longer to more rumors come out, but this is a hell of a start!

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
According to Mirrorless Rumors, their source claims these specs are ‘nearly completely wrong’. Make of that what you will.

Upvote 0