Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Did you actually read both specs? The older one mentions (as you listed) 75mp, dual card slots, joystick, better evf. The new one mentions 45mp, IBIS, double the FPS, scroll wheel, and superior video capabilities. Try to keep up.
Yes, I read both of them, and yes, they are different, but still fail to see what is "Better" about the first one. Just highlighting a different set of features that might just as well be included in the new spec. The only thing truly different is the MP spec, and as I said those are two different cameras. The first is a 5DS progeny and the second a 5D follow on.

Upvote 0
45 x 20 is not plausible in the next 12 months, full stop.

45 x 14 is plausible (42x12, 60x10 cameras exist today), but it makes no sense for Canon to do:
  • It's a cosmic leap forward for the 5D# line.
  • It's a resolution setback from 2015 for the 5DS line.
  • It still somewhat dunks on the 1DX3 (IBIS, video, stills detail without limting the fps too badly), so all price point logic goes to hell.
It just doesn't add up unless Canon is panicking and doesn't mind angering all the folks who recently got in on a new body. That's not how they operate.

- A

5D mark IV "dunked" 1Dx mark II in the same way: Resolution, touchscreen, wifi, intervalometer, live view face detect and continuous focus etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
It just doesn't add up unless Canon is panicking and doesn't mind angering all the folks who recently got in on a new body. That's not how they operate.

- A

The way you word this, it sounds as if you mean that, if Canon were to thrill us all with an unexpected leap in features, they must be doomed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The way you word this, it sounds as if you mean that, if Canon were to thrill us all with an unexpected leap in features, they must be doomed.

I'm just saying there are some areas in which Canon is (dare say) comfortable in not hitting expectations or performance levels of its competitors.

Here they are not really giving AF when they saddled sensors in the same price point seven years apart with the same basic off-chip architecture:

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 10.58.02 AM.png

And pure stills horsepower (forget buffer, I'm talking MP x fps), Canon has been comfortable with 30x7 and 50x5 while 42x12 / 45x9 / 60x10 cameras are out there.

That said, Canon does occasionally surprise us in nutty ways:
  • Crop sensors getting the new on-chip architecture (while some FF sensors didn't?)
  • An M6 Mark II with a spectacular throughput-per-dollar value proposition
  • 1DX3 endless buffer
...and I have zero doubts about their ability to deliver core tech or really thoughtful feature-based innovations.

I am just not expecting a spec-sheet supercamera.

- A

Upvote 0
You may not have meant it in this way, but the idea that everyone should "just buy a longer lens" comes across as a bit of an arrogant one-percenter comment. It implies that only people who can afford $7,000+ lenses have the right to enjoy nature and wildlife photography. I'm totally sympathetic to those who are trying to get the best photos possible on a limited budget and that means higher resolution cameras, even with all the trade-offs. Plus, there are certainly many situations where carrying a massive big white is impractical.

Also, as someone else also noted...you can have a 600 & 2.0x on APS-C and it's still not going to get you full-frame shots of some animals. Small birds and mammals in particular. Especially if you're trying to be respectful of their space.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Oh damn, CR Guy just took us to DEFCON 2-ish. (Maybe DEFCON 2.5.)

(Don't reply here, pls jump to that thread to discuss.)

- A

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Budgetwise there are already cameras with decent or super pixel density like 7DII/5DsR and 90D/M6II. Even a 80mpixel Rs camera will have the same pixel density as a 90D/M6II. Since it will cost a lot I do not believe someone who requires such a model is that budget limited.

Lenswise, there are cases when even these 600/2x lenses will be useless like when there are hot air currents.

So we will always have some kind of limitations.

Birders overcome some distance obstacles with better (unobtrusive) technics. I have not experience with these so I make do with what I have. Also sometimes the best shots are when we wait patiently and the birds come towards us.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
You may not have meant it in this way, but the idea that everyone should "just buy a longer lens" comes across as a bit of an arrogant one-percenter comment. It implies that only people who can afford $7,000+ lenses have the right to enjoy nature and wildlife photography. I'm totally sympathetic to those who are trying to get the best photos possible on a limited budget and that means higher resolution cameras, even with all the trade-offs. Plus, there are certainly many situations where carrying a massive big white is impractical.
I have a 7DII with 100-400, and when subject is still too far away to reach ... I confess: I get out and use my Canon SX60HS. It certainly isn’t the best IQ, but it’s equivalent 24-1300mm zoom lens gets me on the subject, often filling the frame. It’s a $500 bridge camera. I’ll accept the compromise to reach 1300mm for that price. I get less-than-perfect IQ, but I get images I otherwise would never get all. There’s more than one way to get things done.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Also, as someone else also noted...you can have a 600 & 2.0x on APS-C and it's still not going to get you full-frame shots of some animals. Small birds and mammals in particular. Especially if you're trying to be respectful of their space.

This is the cutest variation of the "sour grapes" fable I've ever heard. The fox can't reach the grapes, so it mutters to itself, "They are probably sour anyway." The photographer can't get close enough to the animal, so mutters to self, "It's best to respect its space anyway."

;)

Upvote 0
Yes, I read both of them, and yes, they are different, but still fail to see what is "Better" about the first one. Just highlighting a different set of features that might just as well be included in the new spec. The only thing truly different is the MP spec, and as I said those are two different cameras. The first is a 5DS progeny and the second a 5D follow on.

Both specs are listed as the "RS". If they are specs for two different cameras then the writer shouldn't use the same model number.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Both specs are listed as the "RS". If they are specs for two different cameras then the writer shouldn't use the same model number.
RS is a made up model designation anyway. Just a place holder. We don't know what Canon will call it/them. We have no idea whether any of the specs on either are true or whether or not they are different cameras.

Upvote 0
RS is a made up model designation anyway. Just a place holder. We don't know what Canon will call it/them. We have no idea whether any of the specs on either are true or whether or not they are different cameras.

Understood, but my point stands. If two different potential cameras are being referenced, two different model codes should be utilized to avoid confusion... made up or not.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
For what it's worth, my experience echoes yours. Things get even more problematic when there is more than one person in the scene. I've found that the eye AF tends to just take a stroll around the frame, randomly stopping on things. I think it has a lot of potential, but it still has a lot of bugs in it. That's one reason why I'm not optimistic that a sports/action mirrorless camera that meets the high standards Canon users are used to is imminent.
Are you guys seeing the arrows on the eye's\faces to switch the selection. I find it works really well as long as the subject is not moving about.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Understood, but my point stands. If two different potential cameras are being referenced, two different model codes should be utilized to avoid confusion... made up or not.
You mean like how Canon doesn't have a "P" on the RP? Like I said, we don't know yet whether those are two different cams or not. What shall we call the fabled speed demon? How does RX suit you?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Are you guys seeing the arrows on the eye's\faces to switch the selection. I find it works really well as long as the subject is not moving about.
I've only shot one person at a time. I am happy somebody posted how to use those arrows. Been looking for that trick. :)

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
"Thou shalt not should" is a wise saying. These are RUMORS and the second one clearly referred to and RS OR R5. Now who is not "keeping up"?

Upvote 0
This is the cutest variation of the "sour grapes" fable I've ever heard. The fox can't reach the grapes, so it mutters to itself, "They are probably sour anyway." The photographer can't get close enough to the animal, so mutters to self, "It's best to respect its space anyway."

;)

I mean, not really. If you're photographing animals you're in their space. There's also things like waterfowl which are typically on the water negating ability to get closer without a boat, which definitely would disturb the animal.

Upvote 0
You mean like how Canon doesn't have a "P" on the RP? Like I said, we don't know yet whether those are two different cams or not. What shall we call the fabled speed demon? How does RX suit you?

As these are all "theoretical" until they become reality, and if it were me in charge, it wouldn't matter what you call them, so long as you don't call them the same thing as this site has done.

Upvote 0