Canon Introduces New EF 50MM F/1.8 STM Lens

BigAntTVProductions said:
Zv said:
mistaspeedy said:
I didn't know that, thanks!

Yup, that's what this symbol is for on the camera. It represents where the image sensor is.

actually ya wrong

It's the focal plane mark (is what I should have said). How is that wrong? It's where you measure from.

Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
umm yep - right.

There are two distance measurements -
Minimum Focusing - measured from the image plane - that little circle with a line through it...
Minimum WORKING distance, measured from the front element.

Perhaps there is a 3rd for those who walk and Macro (me) distance from the lens hood.

It give my wife levity when we go to the local botanical garden and start chasing insects w/ my 70-200 and an extension tube!! Everyone should try this sometime, it is a blast.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I just did an entire studio photoshoot with this lens on my 5D3. I'd post pix, but they are NSFW. :)

The lens does make a little noise, but my hearing is poor and I stopped noticing after the first few shots. YMMV

I normally use the 50mm 1.2 L lens for full body and half body portraits at around F/1.4 to F/2, but recently I've decided I don't like the extreme sharpness difference between the model's eyes and the ummm... other body parts.

So I decided to try the 50mm F/1.8. I shot mostly around F/4 to F/8. Sharpness with the studio strobes was excellent. No flare either.

I really appreciated the lighter weight!

The main disadvantage is that the 1.8 looks small and cheap compared to the 1.2. If you do group photoshoots with other photographers, it might be worth it to have the 1.2. It also might be nice to have the 1.2 if you really love that dreamy blur, similar to what people exclaim about with the 85mm 1.2 L lens.

If you aren't working around other photographers, I'd say save your money and go with the 1.8!

BTW, I just posted some nice pix from the Arizona shootout on my blog.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Just bought one as an adequatly humble xmas present for myself. Will use it mainly with EF-M adapter on my EOS M, since Canon does not seem to bring a short EF-M portrait tele any time soon.

Will sell my mint copy of 50/1.4. the 1.8 STM is smaller, lighter and gives somewhat better AF performance on the M. Still hoüing for a worthy EOS M "Pro" in 2016.

Upvote 0
Busted Knuckles said:
umm yep - right.

There are two distance measurements -
Minimum Focusing - measured from the image plane - that little circle with a line through it...
Minimum WORKING distance, measured from the front element.

Perhaps there is a 3rd for those who walk and Macro (me) distance from the lens hood.

It give my wife levity when we go to the local botanical garden and start chasing insects w/ my 70-200 and an extension tube!! Everyone should try this sometime, it is a blast.

Does that setup work well? I've considered it as an alternative to a 180mm macro lens, and would appreciate any insight you might have...

Upvote 0