Canon Introduces New EF 50MM F/1.8 STM Lens

I will probably get a 50mm F1.8 STM within the next 2 weeks (when it becomes available in Croatia).

I recently upgraded from a Canon Powershot SX130IS to an ancient Canon EOS 20D (with 50mm F1.8 II lens), and the difference in quality is massive.
Unfortunately, my 'nifty fifty' literally fell apart whilst focusing (the focus motor pushed the front part of the lens out). I took it apart totally and put it back together. After that it hasn't been the same and even though it still (sort of) works, it is 'about to fall apart'.

From what I have read... the STM version seems to address all the issues I have with the lens (before it fell apart)
My original nifty fifty:
- has unreliable autofocus
- terrible build quality
- not sharp in much of the frame wide open
- even at F2.8 and F4.0 corner sharpness is not good
- loud autofocus
- poor focus in low light (nullifies the large aperture advantage)

I have tried my friend's 18-55mm IS II kit lens, and I did not have any problems with it - so the above problems were specific to the nifty fifty and not a result of my 20D.

Once I get it in my hands I'll post my experiences.

Does anyone see any difference in sharpness when looking through the viewfinder?

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
dcm said:
Just received mine. Plan to use it mostly wide open for low light, sometimes for background blur. Initial tests with the M3 are promising. MF with focus peaking works well for DOF control, but the MF-by-wire can be a little clumsy. Doubt I will use it much with the 6D.

Here's a few photos at close range with f/1.8 to check out the bokeh on the M3. LR with no adjustments. MF on the last two.

Near subject, distant dark background

dvmtthws-1267.jpg by dvmtthws, on Flickr

Near subject, distant light background

dvmtthws-1296.jpg by dvmtthws, on Flickr

near subject and background

dvmtthws-1285.jpg by dvmtthws, on Flickr

Upvote 0
Had this lens on hold at a local camera store for a week now and after life conspiring to prevent me from picking it up finally got it.

i-SnXrvgr-L.jpg

Wide open, handheld in the wind, ISO 400 1/80s on an M. Minimally "Seasoned to Taste" in LightRoom

Hey, we can debate until the cows come home, but after using some gift cards I had lying around this cost me under $20. And so far I'm having nearly as much fun as using the 85 f/1.2L on the 6D. I've lent my 40 f/2.8 for the summer to a friend that just got an T5i with a kit lens which will help me bond with this puppy.

It feels more like a "nifty fifty" than a "plastic fantastic". A little taller than the 40mm but a much more useable size for the focus ring.

Upvote 0
Lol.
I have actually 2 stm version.
One with a little piece of dust inside.
So I will take it back to amazon.

And on both model, I can conclude that the MKII is superior in term of CA.
Also, I have made another test where the MKII was a bit sharper.
But on the last test, they were both exactly the same at F1.8 and F4... Except for the CA.

Upvote 0
I just picked one up to replace the original Nifty for my 60D that was starting to sound like a lawnmower when focusing. The new one is much quieter, focuses quickly, is very sharp and has a nicer bokeh for portraits. Great value and IQ for the price.
I just hope the next STM is a 35mm f2 for a similarly good price. These new little STM's are great bargains with excellent sharpness.

Upvote 0
Here are some samples. I took these at a local art fair a few weeks ago. Only adjustment I did was +21 vibrance and some defringing. I like the results, will definitely be keeping this lens!

Shot these at f/2.0, f/2.8 and f/4.0 all ISO 100 handheld on the EOS M w/ adaptor.

Attachments

• sample-3.jpg
    sample-3.jpg
    998.7 KB · Views: 287
  • sample-4.jpg
    sample-4.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 406
  • sample-5.jpg
    sample-5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 333
  • sample-8.jpg
    sample-8.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 275
Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
mistaspeedy said:
I just bought this lens, and the minimum focus distance seems to be closer than stated... this is probably some safety margin Canon states to make sure everything works as planned.
They state 35cm in the specs, whilst I found 25cm in practice.
Quick question, I don't have hands on with the lens, but were you measuring 25cm from the front of the lens or from the image sensor?

Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:
Quick question, I don't have hands on with the lens, but were you measuring 25cm from the front of the lens or from the image sensor?
Hi there... I measured roughly from the front glass element to the subject:
nzB4Qg1.jpg

Crappy smartphone image, but you can see the distance involved.
This is the resulting image:
ojQAAH0.jpg

Upvote 0