Canon is #1 in global market share for digital cameras in 2020, and their share grew

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has been the global leader in camera market share for a couple of decades now, and that has continued through 2020, and Canon’s market share actually grew over 2019 according to the latest numbers by Nikkei (paywalled).
The bad news is that the global camera market shrunk by 40% in 2020, mainly due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but 2021 should see an increase in the total number of cameras sold, but I don’t think it’ll recover from that 40% drop in one calendar year.
The two cameras that had a big part in increasing Canon’s market share are likely the EOS R5 and EOS R6 which Canon has said repeatedly have blown past sales expectations. The EOS M50 series of cameras are also still big sellers for Canon.
Digital camera market...

Continue reading...

Sep 20, 2020
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
the M series sells well in countries like Japan. it's success is due to the Canon brand. don't think it'll do well if its from another brand.
Canon knows that. That's why they don't spend too much effort. The only reason they ventured into FF MILC is market.. there is a growing demand for it and users started shifting. They knew another new 7D, 5D model won't change the trend. the 1D is niche and there are still demand for it. the 7D, 5D users have broad needs and tend to flow with the trend.

the M series especially M50 is what gives them the 'hey we own the large market'. the brand and this combo still has momentum i.e. it's like a large oil tanker ship... it takes some distance to stop for a fully loaded tanker to stop but eventually it stops. Canon is thinking about this and this is why they're 'throwing' suggestion about R-APSC to CR and see the feedback. I don't think it's economical to run several mounts, they'll like to consolidate in the long run. M series would be in the chopping board. Otherwise, we would have seen tons of M series lens from Canon. the R-APSC would be like the Z DX from Nikon. With a lot of good Z FX lens and low quality Z DX lens, people are wondering why should they buy a Z DX since they can crop and achieve the same in FF.

Another approach for Canon is to stick with FF MILC and come up with very low priced cameras. the problem with low priced FF cameras are cost... the profit margin in these cameras must be low plus it'll effect their mid to high FF MILC sales. So, they'll cripple the lower end models to the max but competitors are offering well priced better featured low end models. Canon is in a little fix now for solutions for lower end MILC market.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Can't have been too weak if they continue to sell in droves.
It kind of was but it was meant to be.
Canon was more focused on keeping the cost down than adding features.
I think it was the right decision but there are a lot of disappointed M50 owners with money and no worthwhile upgrades with a side flip screen.

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
"The EOS M50 series of cameras are also still big sellers for Canon."

Shame they did such a weak update to it.
I don’t see the update for it being that bad tbh. I went from the M5 to the M50 Mark II and it was so much better in many ways, mainly AF.

I see the M bodies as being like the Rebel line, they aren’t really meant to be upgraded from model to model but that might just be me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
like the Rebel line, they aren’t really meant to be upgraded from model to mode
Yes. There's a weird cognitive bias among enthusiasts on this forum and elsewhere that bodies like the M50II are meant to attract folks who already have the previous model. This is almost certainly not how Canon thinks.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
I don’t see the update for it being that bad tbh. I went from the M5 to the M50 Mark II and it was so much better in many ways, mainly AF.

I see the M bodies as being like the Rebel line, they aren’t really meant to be upgraded from model to model but that might just be me.
I tried to upgrade from the Rebel line to EOS 7D, 6D and 5D, found the latter cameras too heavy and went back to the Rebel line.

I am hoping there will be an upgrade to M50 Mark II (sensor-wise) or M6 Mark II (AF-wise)... otherwise, the M50 Mark II will be my next camera. I played with a copy of M50 Mark II in a store and was mighty impressed with its AF.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Is any one else having a problem with their r6 shutter not closing when changing lenses? I have to turn the camera off and the change lenses. This problem started after I installed the new update.
Heck, I have always had to turn the camera off (EOS R) for the shutter to close while changing lenses. Started with mirrorless.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
50% market share in 2021, Canon is dooomed. It will be hard to improve on 50% market share.
Sad to see Nikon so far behind. They still make very good cameras but have lost alot of their customers.
Competition has been good for us. in terms of driving improvements.
Lack of competition would not be.
The next few years will be interesting. I'm surprised Sony haven't made more progress.
It would be interesting to see the Full Frame Mirrorless split between the brands.

Upvote 0