Canon is gearing up to finally release a high megapixel camera with 100+ megapixels [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It has been long rumoured that Canon would develop a high-megapixel camera to the lineup. There have been a lot of reports and wishes for something like a Canon EOS R5s.
Yesterday we posted what to expect from Canon, which lead to some new information about Canon’s plans.
We have been told that Canon is indeed going to release a full-frame RF mount camera with 100+ megapixels some time in the first half of 2023. The announcement could come later in 2022.
The Canon EOS R7 had been rumoured for years, and it has finally been announced, so if you’re in the market for 100+ megapixels, hang tight, you will be taken care of.

Continue reading...

Jul 21, 2010
Canon made an official development announcement of a 120MP DSLR in 2015, so they have been working on high resolution for a long time.

(Canon currently makes a 120MP industrial sensor, but it's APS-H size.)
They announced a 120 MP APS-H sensor in 2010, IIRC. They announced its commercial development in a DSLR in 2015, although they never brought it to production. Rather, they simply showed off a prototype at trade shows. It was a 5Ds body with a 120 MP APS-H sensor (maybe the same one eventually put into production for industrial use), shot only at ISO 100 and generated RAW files >200 MB in size. They also developed a 250 MP APS-H sensor.

I doubt we'll ever see another APS-H ILC. But the reason APS-H existed in the first place was that it was the largest sensor that could be made with a single lithography pass (FF sensors need three passes), so using APS-H for sensor technology development makes sense.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Even at 120mp, 120 would mean a crop mode of 45 megapixels.. That would be one serious camera for wildlife and birding depending on the frame rates available.

I said it in the R7 post, but I think Canon is in a position to give professionals more options for reach/cropping in the form of the R5s for wildlife photographers who need pro features, a fully pro build, and lots of reach.

A 120mp full frame camera that could crop to 45mp at 20 fps could definitely make a lot of people happy. Especially when you consider the need to save on as much space as possible for air travel, you'd have both a super-high-res landscape/full frame camera, and a super-high-res crop camera both in the same body.

It's one of my favorite features of my R5--I'm not personally ever in the market for a crop camera, but the 17mp 1.6x crop mode is more than adequate for my uses when I can't get close to a subject and need to turn the crop mode on. 45mp in the crop mode would be a whole different story.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
That depends on what an R1 is. Historically, people who want ultra high resolution don't need extremely rugged cameras. They just don't tend to abuse or buy them. Look at the history of the Canon 1Ds3 and Nikon D3x.
My initial guess is it could be a dual announcement with the R1 and this High MP body. A new flagship ground breaking with QPAF, 60mp at full speed/30fps, etc, along side a ground breaking 5 series type body with 100+ MP. Would be a huge marketing moment for Canon.

Brian

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My initial guess is it could be a dual announcement with the R1 and this High MP body. A new flagship ground breaking with QPAF, 60mp at full speed/30fps, etc, along side a ground breaking 5 series type body with 100+ MP. Would be a huge marketing moment for Canon.

Brian
I don’t agree. Canon creates enough buzz and things to talk about with one camera. As with the R3, add hundreds of development announcements (at least it feels like it) and teaser, and they’re the talk of the town for months…

Why should they take the publics focus of one camera by introducing two at one time? Canons marketing would not let that happen.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Even at 120mp, 120 would mean a crop mode of 45 megapixels.. That would be one serious camera for wildlife and birding depending on the frame rates available.

I said it in the R7 post, but I think Canon is in a position to give professionals more options for reach/cropping in the form of the R5s for wildlife photographers who need pro features, a fully pro build, and lots of reach.

A 120mp full frame camera that could crop to 45mp at 20 fps could definitely make a lot of people happy. Especially when you consider the need to save on as much space as possible for air travel, you'd have both a super-high-res landscape/full frame camera, and a super-high-res crop camera both in the same body.

It's one of my favorite features of my R5--I'm not personally ever in the market for a crop camera, but the 17mp 1.6x crop mode is more than adequate for my uses when I can't get close to a subject and need to turn the crop mode on. 45mp in the crop mode would be a whole different story.
I don’t understand the need to crop in camera? Wouldn’t cropping in post have the same result plus the ability to choose a variety of post capture compositions? I’d rather do it in post. I have the R5 and forgot it has the ability to crop in camera because I’ve never thought to use it. I’m primarily a portrait photographer though.

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I don’t understand the need to crop in camera? Wouldn’t cropping in post have the same result plus the ability to choose a variety of post capture compositions? I’d rather do it in post. I have the R5 and forgot it has the ability to crop in camera because I’ve never thought to use it. I’m primarily a portrait photographer though.
The idea is that in crop mode smaller files recorded, meaning an effectively bigger buffer and maintenance of a faster frame rate for a longer time. The camera has to support that, though.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The idea is that in crop mode smaller files recorded, meaning an effectively bigger buffer and maintenance of a faster frame rate for a longer time. The camera has to support that, though.
True, and it does have some advantages. However, I like the wider field of view of FF and can't be bothered to use crop mode but I should do.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0