Canon lays out their corporate strategy

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
They can say whatever they want- as long as RF non-L lenses are borderline mediocre, RFS lenses are joke-level, the mid level lenses dont exist, and... WHERE THE F IS THE 50 1.4...i'm still planning to expand to panny or a sony and enjoy all that lens freedom.

The EF 50 1.4 is not compatible with my R62 high frame rates. (neither is the 70-200v2 2.8 :( )

So my oem choices are..200 dollars or 2000. There is not enough middle ground with canon. And it sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
My guess is these also have a higher profit margin, and so were the best way to package their (pandemic limited) semiconductors.

As weird as the R launch was (meh bodies great glass) I really can't fault much about canon's rollout when I look at it "all in" from a business+consumer needs standpoint.

RF 50 1.4

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I have to say I have never tried taking a photo on a the C500. if it is possible it is hing away somewhere. Also can you imagine Turing up for a photoshoot with a C500 in your hand hahahaha. Or if you are doing a studio shoot with strobes and you have no way of triggering them. Im not entirely are ALL canons cameras are hybrid.
It would be closer to the truth to claim that all *stills* cameras are hybrids, because almost without exception, they shoot video. The good thing is that although they sacrifice a few things as hybrids, they are far better for stills, than "stills only" cameras ever were.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
No. In units, the M50 was Canon's best selling mirrorless cameras. My prediction is that the R50 will become Canon's best selling R.
BHsXXo9.png

Based on CIPA the difference between 2012 vs 2022 ILC worldwide shipping numbers is -14,230,320. Odds are greater than 80% of those ILC bodies are consumer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
I have to say I have never tried taking a photo on a the C500. if it is possible it is hing away somewhere. Also can you imagine Turing up for a photoshoot with a C500 in your hand hahahaha. Or if you are doing a studio shoot with strobes and you have no way of triggering them. Im not entirely are ALL canons cameras are hybrid.
Technically every cinema camera is a photo camera. They all take a picture frame by frame.
From film to digital, they’re technically taking “high fps” photos. Lol
Theoretically, you could take a C500, set a shutter speed of what you need, let’s say 2000 if it will go that high, and take video, then pull the key frame you want.
Technically the R5 can shoot “stills” at 30 fps if you do that with 8k raw lol. It’s not 45mp and it’s at 16:9, but hey it technically does do it lol.

Upvote 0
To me, the clearest part of the PR was: PROFIT. We want to maintain the super profit margins we've created with R series products, and hunt for other just as profitable opportunities if we can find them.

Why won't they allow AF 3rd party lenses- profit. You wouldn't be forced to buy their over priced, wildly profitable, R series lenses.

Some Sony lenses out perform their R equivalent, and many others equal them, at 2/3rds the cost. Heck, even Sigma with their new HLA AF system is now essentially as fast as Canon & Sony in focus speed, and they are producing some outstanding optics at 1/3 the cost of Canon's. Now that their AF will be in the same ball park with new releases, many people will care a lot less about them being less robust, seeing the cost of an Art is often 1/3 of an R series Canon L.

PROFIT.

I haven't switched brands for 25 years, but it looks like now is going to be the time. When you can buy 5 very nice Sony GM lenses for the cost of 3 new R 'L' lenses, something's very wrong. The price difference for a pro editorial +portrait kit (ie the 3 f2.8 zooms + 4-5 essential primes), between platforms is now just completely absurd.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
To me, the clearest part of the PR was: PROFIT. We want to maintain the super profit margins we've created with R series products, and hunt for other just as profitable opportunities if we can find them.

Why won't they allow AF 3rd party lenses- profit. You wouldn't be forced to buy their over priced, wildly profitable, R series lenses.

Some Sony lenses out perform their R equivalent, and many others equal them, at 2/3rds the cost. Heck, even Sigma with their new HLA AF system is now essentially as fast as Canon & Sony in focus speed, and they are producing some outstanding optics at 1/3 the cost of Canon's. Now that their AF will be in the same ball park with new releases, many people will care a lot less about them being less robust, seeing the cost of an Art is often 1/3 of an R series Canon L.

PROFIT.

I haven't switched brands for 25 years, but it looks like now is going to be the time. When you can buy 5 very nice Sony GM lenses for the cost of 3 new R 'L' lenses, something's very wrong. The price difference for a pro editorial +portrait kit (ie the 3 f2.8 zooms + 4-5 essential primes), between platforms is now just completely absurd.

It isn't that unreasonable business decision considering consolidation being done by other players. If Canon does not do this then they may go under.

I am hopeful that they will be a bit more lenient with 3rd parties around year 2028.

Upvote 0
The only interesting part was Canon's admission that people want video. Apparently their answer to this is the 5C (which Netflix struck off, supposedly due to it's horrible noise, rather than it's low DR, sucky timecode, etc), and a R7C... Really? An R7C is the answer? Yes there will be a market for it, but seriously...? Where is their FULL FRAME FX3? Their FX6? Instead we literally have to buy a C500 if we want FULL FRAME video with decent DR & low noise. Or, buy a cheap as chips, tiny/stealth FX3 from Sony that can be rigged out and out-performs the C300III in the ways that count most. (ie Better DR, better low light, FULL FRAME, IS, AF, small form factor).

• Haha
Upvote 0
I guess it depends where you live. In the US, the latest Sony GM lenses are pretty much the same price as Canon L lenses.
Serious? I'm in Australia.
R24-70 =A$4000 vs Sony 24-70vII A$2700 (just as sharp, lighter, lightning AF, less flare)
R135 =A$4000 vs Sony A$2500 (which lacks IS but is sharper)
The list goes on...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It isn't that unreasonable business decision considering consolidation being done by other players. If Canon does not do this then they may go under.

I am hopeful that they will be a bit more lenient with 3rd parties around year 2028.
Didn't Canon's imaging division make around US$1B profit in 2000-2021? The fin reports are on their website.
"Our future growth strategy is to create new businesses while maintaining high profitability in existing ones."

Honestly, I wouldn't be complaining if Canon had a comparable camera to the FX6 (never mind the A7sIII/FX3), and hadn't jacked up their R lens $ so high. Or even if they had something like an FX6 & FX3 in the works, with new/better sensors.

Canon lost the lion's share of the low & mid tier video production market to Sony, because they had to 'protect' their C300/500. (Sony also have their Venice, etc, but didn't care.)

To me, this story is a bit like Kodak, who invented the digital camera. I still have a 5dII, the camera that changed the world, yet Canon was too protective of their existing cash flow structures to actually lead the way. And now they apparently think an R7C with it's crappy small sensor will make up for it.

I'm selling our studio's 6 R5 cameras, and starting to sell all our Canon glass (most of which is EF).

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Serious? I'm in Australia.
R24-70 =A$4000 vs Sony 24-70vII A$2700 (just as sharp, lighter, lightning AF, less flare)
R135 =A$4000 vs Sony A$2500 (which lacks IS but is sharper)
The list goes on...
In the US, the Canon f/2.8 zoom trinity plus the 135/1.8 would cost you $300 more, and all four lenses would have IS instead of just one.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Didn't Canon's imaging division make around US$1B profit in 2000-2021? The fin reports are on their website.
"Our future growth strategy is to create new businesses while maintaining high profitability in existing ones."

Honestly, I wouldn't be complaining if Canon had a comparable camera to the FX6 (never mind the A7sIII/FX3), and hadn't jacked up their R lens $ so high. Or even if they had something like an FX6 & FX3 in the works, with new/better sensors.

Canon lost the lion's share of the low & mid tier video production market to Sony, because they had to 'protect' their C300/500. (Sony also have their Venice, etc, but didn't care.)

To me, this story is a bit like Kodak, who invented the digital camera. I still have a 5dII, the camera that changed the world, yet Canon was too protective of their existing cash flow structures to actually lead the way. And now they apparently think an R7C with it's crappy small sensor will make up for it.

I'm selling our studio's 6 R5 cameras, and starting to sell all our Canon glass (most of which is EF).
Here we go again, Canon will soon be filing bankruptcy. :eek:
Same song, different melody...

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Here we go again, Canon will soon be filing bankruptcy. :eek:
Same song, different melody...
Not yet. We haven’t even gotten to the part where @Profit007 recommends all his friends and acquaintances switch to Sony, which is really going to be the final nail in Canon’s coffin. ;) :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0