Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, N.Y., September 5, 2018 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the next revolution in the company’s long history of innovative and award-winning camera systems, the EOS R system featuring the newly designed RF mount. Recognizing the need to advance optical design, the Company sought to create a versatile and powerful new system that supports all current EF, EF-S, TS-E and MP-E lensesi, and also provides the optical advancements and engineering flexibility to build upon for years to come.

When Canon set forth to develop a new interchangeable lens camera system, they focused on three core optical principles: high-image quality, high-specification performance, and compact design. Recognizing that optics is the foundation for any camera system, the RF mount was conceived to open new doors in optical design. Canon’s new RF mount features the same size diameter as the EF mount (54mm) and shorter back focus distance. This allows for lenses...

Continue reading...

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
I still have the feeling of being left behind with my 6D and my EF lenses exactly as I was in '87 with my AE1-P and my FD lenses.
I understand the need for leap jumping but damn, I hate adaptors. An how about my planned investment in a 24-70 f/2.8 II L and the 135 f/2.0 L ? Will I do that now? Probably not. Or maybe by some used ones.
My guess is, that with this launch Canon is going all in on EOS-R, and we will probably see a lot more new RF mount cameras. I will be surprised if we will ever see an 7D or a 6D mkIII. We will might see a new 5D and 1D, but that will be it. The rest will RF cameras an probably with IBIS too.
The control-ring and the control bar (replacing the control wheel) looks smart. Very smart.
I will probably keep my beloved 6D until it is totally worn out, and then buy a RF mount camera, and RF 2.0 or 2.8 "standard-zoom" and a few primes, and the reuse my old EF lenses - maybe even buy some extra adaptors to be fixed on the most used lenses.
Canon is probably doing the right thing with the RF mount - I just have to take it in.....

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
I still have the feeling of being left behind with my 6D and my EF lenses exactly as I was in '87 with my AE1-P and my FD lenses.
I understand the need for leap jumping but damn, I hate adaptors. An how about my planned investment in a 24-70 f/2.8 II L and the 135 f/2.0 L ? Will I do that now? Probably not. Or maybe by some used ones.
My guess is, that with this launch Canon is going all in on EOS-R, and we will probably see a lot more new RF mount cameras. I will be surprised if we will ever see an 7D or a 6D mkIII. We will might see a new 5D and 1D, but that will be it. The rest will RF cameras an probably with IBIS too.
The control-ring and the control bar (replacing the control wheel) looks smart. Very smart.
I will probably keep my beloved 6D until it is totally worn out, and then buy a RF mount camera, and RF 2.0 or 2.8 "standard-zoom" and a few primes, and the reuse my old EF lenses - maybe even buy some extra adaptors to be fixed on the most used lenses.
Canon is probably doing the right thing with the RF mount - I just have to take it in.....
Don't worry: A lot of photographers will keep their DSLRs and there will be new lenses for this system a long time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
Don't worry: A lot of photographers will keep their DSLRs and there will be new lenses for this system a long time.

I suspect Canon will continue to build EF lenses for a long time. Especially for the "big white" category, it will make sense to focus on EF and use an adaptor. It primarily makes sense for Canon to initially focus on the smaller lenses which will be the ones that users who value a more compact system will be looking for.

The people who should probably be more concerned are the owners of EOS M systems. The bit about support for EF-S lenses almost seems to imply that the EOS R system will have include APS-C bodies. What will happen to the EOS M range and EF-M mount?

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
Interesting features, especially the control ring on the lens and the touch panel on the back of the body have the potential to change how we use our cameras - I suspect Canon have no fixed long term plan with EF-M, RF or EF mounts right now, it will depend on how the market takes it, each mount will appeal to different customers and differently in each market, I see a long life ahead for all three mounts... EF-S ? I'm less convinced this will last, but again, the market will dictate! Like it, great for some coming from another brand or from crop format, but with the gear I have and my casual use, I'd have to think long and hard about moving over to a native RF set of lenses.. the real interesting development will be seeing how the more consumer and pro camera ranges develop with this new mount - because right now I'm seeing three ranges of cameras each appealing to different needs - great diversification move by Canon, good call in my eyes

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015

Canon just announced more EF lenses and while I'm certainly happy to see where Canon is going with this camera and the R-mount, nothing compels me to get rid of my 5DM3 just yet.

Get me a dual-slot version and better battery life and then I'll consider it. I do love the new lenses though. I suppose in a couple more years, Canon will give me reasons to upgrade.

The dSLR market is not even remotely being retired for the near future... but I do believe in 5 years (at most) will see Canon focusing most of their attention on the R market.

Great first camera mirrorless FF camera though. I look forward to seeing serious reviews of it when the production versions come out.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's a pass for me, I'll wait for the higher end model with IBIS, 2 card slots, and 1080p120.
These were the 3 features I needed along side eyeAF...

Same here but there is one thing. I just learned that Fuji enabled 1080p120 for it's X-T2 with a firmware upgrade. Not sure if Canon usually does this or not. Also Fuji X-T3 is coming tomorrow I believe, maybe it worth to check.

Upvote 0
It's a pass for me, I'll wait for the higher end model with IBIS, 2 card slots, and 1080p120.
These were the 3 features I needed along side eyeAF...
Well im in the same boat, ibis and 1080p at 120 and 2 slots. And I think my long wait is over, a7 III just ticks all those boxes for me at a price lower than the "lower end' EOSR. Will take a hit on my canon EF lenses, but it is bound to happen with switchingto native RF. Nonetheless a very sexy mirrorless from canon, it will make many photographers very happy.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0