Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM and Canon Speedlite EL-5

But two years is extremely fast. It was 4.5 years between the 6D and 6DII. It's the Rebel line that had a yearly release.
I agree.

My guess is that Canon's pressured to compete with Sony or specific parts of the original R6 is difficult to source to cause unwanted manufacturing delays.

Sony tackled this with the "a" variant of specific A7 bodies.

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
The RF135L is certainly expensive here.

Weird that the R5 vs R6ii price differential is ~50% extra for the R5 in the US but the difference in Australia is only 20% premium!
(George's has it AUD5400 vs AUD4500). The R5 pricing is all over the place though from AUD5400 to AUD6400 at the moment.
Makes the R5 look like a bargain :)
UK got hit hard too, was £1000 more than the GM so ours is even worse though.

Yeah they way they determine the pricing is very strange. You’ll find a lot of the stores like Digi tend to bump the prices up before a big sale or cashbacks. Digi especially keep doing 20% off on their eBay so some of those R6 prices have been as low as $2800!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
But two years is extremely fast. It was 4.5 years between the 6D and 6DII. It's the Rebel line that had a yearly release.
I think they only updated it so soon because they want to release a body lower than it to replace the R/RP and this makes the R6II way more high end compared to what they plan to release I’m guessing.

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
Happy for everyone that these products were for. If I didn't already have an R5 and R6, I would totally picked this up as my second body. But now that I have two, I'm waiting for more. The 135 also looks beautiful, but I already have the EF and I don't even use that all that often. Reducing the minimum focal length from 3 feet to 2.3 would be welcome though.

I'm waiting for the rumored new R5 model isn't a R5II. And I'm crossing my fingers that the controls layout is mostly identical to my R5.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

notalchymy

Canon R6 & R6 Mkii
Jul 27, 2022
This is hands down the Best Canon hybrid camera for event work or social media work. Yeah the R3 and R7 maybe can compete, but either you pay $6k or get a cropped sensor.

False color?
No Record Limit
6k RAW?????
An IMMEDIATE Photo/Video switch?
Fast Custom Functions?

Literally only complaint I have is the Micro HDMI port.

I’ve placed my preorder ‍

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
I think they only updated it so soon because they want to release a body lower than it to replace the R/RP and this makes the R6II way more high end compared to what they plan to release I’m guessing.
That will be interesting to see if it happens. But I'm betting on those models never getting an update. They didn't follow Canon's naming scheme because they were planned as transitional cameras. Now that the R3, R5, R6, R7, R10 are out there which do follow Canon's regular conventions, the R and RP will just remain left behind.

I'm betting the next low end camera will be the R100. That could be interesting to me if it uses the RP/M Line battery as an attempt to get it as small as possible. (If it's possible to get smaller than the RP. I've never held one.) That could be a halfway replacement to the RP, in the size aspect at least, but just in crop sensor form instead of full frame.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
So much money for a camera that even the manufacturer markets as a camera for "advanced amateurs"?

They downgraded the sensor from 20 to 24 megapixels, without upgrading it to BSI in return? Can we expect a lower dynamic range now?

Quite a disappointment. Only for R3 users it might be good news that Canon does not bring a camera with the same sensor as the R3 for less than half the price,

At least it still does not have a notch.

Upvote 0
Not even a stacked sensor? Also 4K for video is not enough - no space to crop in post and I don't care about an Atomos option. A big pass.

So, the general notion of a potentially more expensive sensor instead of using the one from the R3, was not correct. Of course the relatively low price speculation was kind of warning, that it might not be the case in the end. The bad thing is, that now Canon got their 24mpx sensor for their low cost bodies, which simply means - not much of an improvoement for a foreseable future ....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm hoping for a small lower end full-frame (no ibis, single card slot, lp-E17 battery), but if one comes, it will be the RP successor. Don't see any place for a R replacement, since it was a baby 5DIV (clog, top-screen). Maybe a dumbed down and crippled R6II, but would not call that a R successor...

Upvote 0
Just under 3k € in Germany....

Too expensive and not tempting for me…

depending on the sensor I might have been in the market, but not having any kind of upgrade sensor wise,ä and being a „stills only“ shooter, I’d actually consider a R6mk I if there is a nice discount in addition to the ongoing cashback.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
I noticed one great upgrade: It now has an optical viewfinder simulation like the R3 and R7. Although you no longer see the exposure preview, if you enable it, I like this feature very much, because I come from DSLRs and the optical viewfinder is the thing I miss the most.

Doubling the fps will be a big deal for many. It now is even faster than the R3, but then they should also have included a CFexpress slot to make transfering the data a lot faster.

Upvote 0
It was a candidate to complement my R7 but ergonomically both are to different. I would have liked to have the same OFF-PHOTO-VIDEO switch and the joystick-wheel combo to program my muscle memory one times for both cameras.
Canon is not willing to give as seamless ergonomics between APS-C and FF ...
Maybe we will see a good RF-S 10-22 or similar UWA so a 2nd R7(c ?) will be my choice - the EF-S 10-22 is good but no match to the R7 (and not to the M50) in terms of IQ.
EDIT:
It is close to 3000 EUR in Germany - probability for a 2nd R7 is close to 100% ... and maybe I will reevaluate the EF-S 10-22 with the R7 and fiddle around with some settings in post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The new R6 Mkii is lighter than the old R6 by 100g and also doesn’t list the materials of construction. Could it be it isn’t built with magnesium anymore? Or is it too soon to tell….

[...]
Maybe filled with helium? Maybe smaller buffer?
Or you have compared the naked weight of the mark ii with the full weight of the mark i.
According to the us canon homepage R6 is 680g and R6 ii is 688g each with battery and card.

Upvote 0

photophil

In therapy for GAS
Jun 17, 2022
HD
Too expensive and not tempting for me…

depending on the sensor I might have been in the market, but not having any kind of upgrade sensor wise,ä and being a „stills only“ shooter, I’d actually consider a R6mk I if there is a nice discount in addition to the ongoing cashback.
I got my R6 at Mediamarkt for a total of €1800 a couple of months back when they had both a discount corresponding to the amount of VAT (thereabouts) as well as the €300 cashback from Canon.
Maybe they'll have another promo like that on black Friday?

As proud owner of an O.G. R6 I am kind of glad that pricing for the R6II is as it is. No buyer's remorse here :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0