Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Why wasn't the sensor resolution announced, any good reason they hid that? Surely it's locked in and how surprising could it be, somwhere between 21-24MP I would think. Given some of the juicy details they did give away why not sensor spec.

Maybe they want a big surprise to withhold until the actual announcement?

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
I never had an issue with saying it could use improvement, all I ever said was it is comparable to the other manufacturers best at this point in time and people that said it had “a problem” we’re talking crap. Heck every metric can be improved, FPS, viewfinder blackout, etc etc.

I think the people he was referring to were those saying that it was vastly outdated and the competition was so much better. Not what you were saying.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Scott, do you see yourself upgrading? What would be things you'd like improved? Other than my typical focal length limited situations and wanting more MPs I've been pretty happy.

Jack

Don't upgrade Jack. I can't upgrade, so don't leave me behind.

P.S. Glad to see you posting again :)

Upvote 0
100/20*24=120
120=20% more
20%=0,2
Proof:
20+20*0,2=24

So 20 to 24 wild be 20% more

Not 120% and not 10%

You have some beautiful math here, but when going from 20Mp to 24Mp, the spatial resolution increase will be sqrt(24/20) = 1.095, which can be rounded to 10%.
The resolution in terms of the pixel count will be 20%.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Maybe they want a big surprise to withhold until the actual announcement?
There are likely multiple sensor prototypes in testing now. The final verdict has not arrived yet.

I would totally expect some resolution related surprises there. Say, 28MP.
It is almost where R and 5D IV sits at the moment.
I would happily upgrade my 5D IV to a 28MP 1 series Canon body.
That would be a smart move by Canon, I thought.

Upvote 0
The improvement can be okay, but what I'll really like to see is the total lack of oil splattering. I'am getting more then sick of that, 400+ spots in a single image. Evening after evening cleaning the images. We have a company in Holland that is capable of cleaning the sensor completly, but after only two trips it is as bad as before. For me no 1DX anymore if they don't solve this problem. And I'll use these type of camera's for a very long time already. Very frustrating!!

I know what you mean. Canon Canada does a great job of cleaning the sensor, but after an outing or two the sensor goes back to being a filthy mess.

I won't be purchasing another 1D DSLR after now having had both the 1DX and 1DX2. I've had more problems with the 1D series than I ever have had with the 5D series.

Once a mirrorless version is ready for prime time I'll re-examine the situation. I won't be an early adopter, though.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
What the heck is autofocus resolution? I've been in this business for a long time and I've never heard of that term.
This is in reference to dedicated AF sensor resolution increase. Meaning More pixels for phase detection AF sensor. This allows for a better Metering and focusing in a very low light settings.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This is in reference to dedicated AF sensor resolution increase. Meaning More pixels for phase detection AF sensor. This allows for a better Metering and focusing in a very low light settings.
The Phase Detection sensors are separate sensors and not affected by an increase of the iTR sensor, I believe. The iTR sensor resolution increase will likely aid getting some LiveView features like face and eye AF and improved subject tracking. The number of AF points is something else though.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Oh, in my experience its quite the opposite - in the church or in the "register office" (where the legal part of a wedding takes placei n germany) its VERY silent and every click feels like one click to much. Especialy with a strict pastor or small register office, its very annoying to have such a loud shutter.
I once saw one photographer with a Sony a9 with completely silent shutter, and it was like a charm. Many guests commented on the fact that the photographer was incredible silent and not noteable. =)
I like the fact very much that the new 1D got a electronical shutter =)
That differ Europe from teh rest of the world. I was once in India, and there was a wedding, somethign like 1km from where I was, and you could not hear yourself thinking already.
Probably something like the Olympus OM-D E-M1 X autofocus system. It's got deep learning AI models for various kinds of vehicles. So you're shooting an auto race, you put in "automobile" mode, and the camera basically just knows what a car is and locks on. This is not about the camera itself learning, it's based on an AI model built from analysis of many thousands of images. If it's got that AI processor built-in, it's likely they'll have new deep learning models for additional subjects as the software is improved... at least that what you'd expect from a mirrorless company. Not typical for Canon, but they do need to adapt to the market of today.
I would liek to mention that many times, action photographers did mentuon that the AF is "lost" sometimes due to the system lack of understanding the way the action goes. For example, the car in the race can come toward you but then turn to the side (you don't want to in it its way after all), so the AF will continue to monitor it getting close and will loose the exact shots when it turned to the side. having AI will notice the changes in the car position, and then use the already given algorithm to "expect" the car to have a differnt AF position, not just based on its advance toward you.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0