Canon Patent Application: Hybrid SPAD and CMOS Sensor Imaging

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I don’t know how many of you followed me back on my older site, but I was always talking about Canon’s SPAD (Single Photon Avalanche Diode) image sensor patent applications – so much so that I thought Canon was starting to troll me. Needless to say with the release of the MS-500 I felt a

See full article...

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure if I understand completely. It's using a SPAD and CMOS in separate lens and sensor pairs to create one image? Or a single sensor with both (probably in a checkerboard pattern)?
two sensors. I'm not sure it's possible to have both on one sensor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
(I know NOTHING about electronics, engineering, etc)

My constant thought since many years, of sensors future developments, has been a sensor that can vary its ISO photodiode per photodiode (so, for the very little thing I understand, varying the current to each photodiode), so you can shoot a single image with a super extended DR without needing of HDR and/or compositing, leaning on AI skills (or user inputs) of the camera.

Certainly an application firstly for mobiles, but of course could be useful also in a professional photo environment; I think, just to make a basic example, to a sun backlit situation were I can shoot the subjects with 400/800iso in full daylight (and AI recognize them, so only that part of the image gets enhanced iso) while the background gets shot at 100iso, that would be pretty cool, it's like having a key light or a fill light in front of the subject while you expose for the background. Of course the best solution is actually expose for the background and then use a panel or a strobe to fill in, so you shoot all at 100iso and the picture surely comes better already, but if you travel light, or your gear gets broken/lost, batteries dies, etc, having that kind of power in the camera could save your work. And as I said, for the mobile phones would really increase the quality SOOC.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
(I know NOTHING about electronics, engineering, etc)

My constant thought since many years, of sensors future developments, has been a sensor that can vary its ISO photodiode per photodiode (so, for the very little thing I understand, varying the current to each photodiode), so you can shoot a single image with a super extended DR without needing of HDR and/or compositing, leaning on AI skills (or user inputs) of the camera.

Certainly an application firstly for mobiles, but of course could be useful also in a professional photo environment; I think, just to make a basic example, to a sun backlit situation were I can shoot the subjects with 400/800iso in full daylight (and AI recognize them, so only that part of the image gets enhanced iso) while the background gets shot at 100iso, that would be pretty cool, it's like having a key light or a fill light in front of the subject while you expose for the background. Of course the best solution is actually expose for the background and then use a panel or a strobe to fill in, so you shoot all at 100iso and the picture surely comes better already, but if you travel light, or your gear gets broken/lost, batteries dies, etc, having that kind of power in the camera could save your work. And as I said, for the mobile phones would really increase the quality SOOC.
The magic lantern firmware for older Canon cameras could vary the ISO per line, but it doesn’t get you much more DR, just less noise.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
two sensors. I'm not sure it's possible to have both on one sensor.
Two sensors hardly seems patentable.
Any idiot could have thought of that.
Although Canon probably has the only practical SPAD sensors right now.
On that note, why has no one combined 2 CMOS sensors that have different amplification?
That would create a lot of dynamic range even though it would come nowhere close to this.
The lenses could have different apertures,

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
My constant thought since many years, of sensors future developments, has been a sensor that can vary its ISO photodiode per photodiode
Doesn't this kind of work that way already?

That makes me think.
Imagine one of these and the other a SPAD sensor.
Not that I would ever need more than 24 stops of dynamic range anyway.

Upvote 0