Canon Patent Application: Small Full Frame RF Primes

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
In this patent application, Canon is illustrating some smaller primes. Since these designs are relatively simplistic, they could be good “bang for the buck” lenses as long as you are not expecting pristine resolving power, as they don’t optically fill the entire image circle but rely on software stretching. Canon’s entire purpose with this patent

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Being that this is Canon is a high chance that at least one of these are going to come out. Software stretching? Plastic lenses and now software stretching... wow. Canon 2024 lets go!
I was skeptical about the PMO used for the RF28mm, but it is a very sharp lens, that I find very fun to use.
Similar thing for the stretching needed on the RF16mm, its corners at f/2.8 are sharper than my 17-40 F/4L.

So far I have no complaints about the stretching or PMO, which I expected to have before using the lenses. I bought them mainly for their size and weight, the image quality has been surprisingly OK.

Let’s see what real world results the 2024 stretchy plastic lenses achieve before a priori pooh-poohing them. I bet the RF-S lenses will likely be very underwhelming, while the RF ones will perform as promised. Canon likes to annoy people that refuse to use RF lenses on APS-C cameras that way.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

kirbic

CR Pro
Jun 20, 2016
The designs are \"Simple\" not \"Simplistic\". Simplistic means overly-simplified to the point of inaccuracy.
Would be great if Canon follows through with small, lightweight primes. I think that there is a broad market for such lenses. I know that if the optical quality is good, they will be attractive to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0