Canon Patent Application: Cheap Primes

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
This is an odd patent application (2024-006604), let’s dive into the dirty details. These embodiments are odd for several reasons. The 18mm image height lenses would have to have an extreme amount of image stretching for full frame. The usual image height for full frame lenses is atypically 21.64mm in Canon’s patent literature. So even

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user
No obvious IS group, so they could all be APS-C lenses with most intended to take maximum advantage of IBIS, or APS-H lenses for some kind of industrial application. Quite a lot of elements for "cheap" lenses.

Canon automates both assembly and most of their non complex elements. So for Canon, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that Canon is exploring cheaper ultra wides and even super ultra wides. And there's the possibility that we may see the 15mm come out for the RF mount. But like all the patent applications I talk about, this is just a look into Canon's research.
Having the "cheap" and small RF 16mm f/2.8 STM already, I see no reason for a FF 15mm lens.
But the 10mm APS-C formula could become reality. But I feel unsure about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0