Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II Specifications

Apr 25, 2011
Comparing Apples to oranges maybe? The first version had it.
I'm sure Canon has the statistics on what percentage of customers were actually using it.

After looking at G7X III and G5X II I would say that the real upgrade to G7XII is the G5X II. In that context it looks a TERRIFIC camera! It will tempt me if I manage to sell my G7XII. Something that G7XIII could not.
Personally, I would likely still prefer G7X III for being more lightweight and more compact. Hard to tell without trying them.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Way too much negativity in the comments. This looks like a really nice portable camera. Canon is focusing their mirrorless offerings (pun intended). The G line for extreme portability, the M line for good portability with a more enthusiast oriented feature set, and the R line for the high end with portability being secondary to lens performance. This camera is a nice counter to the Panny ZS line. It doesn't have the zoom range, of a ZS 100 or 200, but 24--120 is very useful and the lens is decently fast (Unlike the Pannys). My sense is that this will outsell the G7III unless the price premium for the EVF and longer lens is ridiculous.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
How would they know if people are using the hotshoe or not?
We're regularly told on here - by people who obviously (think they) know - that Canon is an ultra-conservative company.

Ultra-conservative companies do not, by definition, arbitrarily drop features: nothing happens without there being a very good reason for it.

One other thing we know about Canon is that its diligence in market research is peerless: nothing happens at Canon unless it has been researched, analysed, evaluated and market-tested.

That doesn't mean they'll always make decisions that the average photographer can make immediate sense of, but it is axiomatic that if Canon has dropped the hot-shoe from this body, it has done so because it is the right decision in terms of Canon's wider strategy for the camera; and it will not have been made without there being solid numbers to back the decision up.

Alternative explanations - that Canon has done it for shits and giggles; or for spite - are risible.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
We're regularly told on here - by people who obviously (think they) know - that Canon is an ultra-conservative company.

Ultra-conservative companies do not, by definition, arbitrarily drop features: nothing happens without there being a very good reason for it.

One other thing we know about Canon is that its diligence in market research is peerless: nothing happens at Canon unless it has been researched, analysed, evaluated and market-tested.

That doesn't mean they'll always make decisions that the average photographer can make immediate sense of, but it is axiomatic that if Canon has dropped the hot-shoe from this body, it has done so because it is the right decision in terms of Canon's wider strategy for the camera; and it will not have been made without there being solid numbers to back the decision up.

Alternative explanations - that Canon has done it for shits and giggles; or for spite - are risible.

I mean it certainly is more economic to just make one camera body and cut a hole in it for the G5X than making two completely different bodies.
But I don't have sooo much confidence in Canon's market research.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Canon has a lot of models whose size rivals the RX100 but this is the first which has the specs. Very few folks shopping for a compact outside forum dwellers are asking for a hotshoe.

My spec list was answered by the lens, the viewfinder, the size and weight and form factor. This will be keeping me in the Canon ecosystem to go along side my dslrs. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Way too much negativity in the comments. This looks like a really nice portable camera. Canon is focusing their mirrorless offerings (pun intended). The G line for extreme portability, the M line for good portability with a more enthusiast oriented feature set, and the R line for the high end with portability being secondary to lens performance. This camera is a nice counter to the Panny ZS line. It doesn't have the zoom range, of a ZS 100 or 200, but 24--120 is very useful and the lens is decently fast (Unlike the Pannys). My sense is that this will outsell the G7III unless the price premium for the EVF and longer lens is ridiculous.

This is true.
I was just hoping for a leaf shutter with hot shoe from Canon.
G1X and previous g5x had this no-no swivel screen.
I had so much fun with the Fuji X100 series and flash. Sadly their JPEGs are so toy camera and RAW is so amateurish. Been doing it since ‘97. Too much work to achieve what Canons do automatically.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Finally a cam that competes or even tops Sony´s rx line.
Till today I was thinking about getting the g7x ii, rx100 V or VI. But all had some big compromises to me.
This seems perfect, hope the price stays below 1k. Big zoom range, but still as fast as the other ones. EVF which does not add any bulk like the mk1.

To the people complaining about missing hotshoe, I know it´s not nice if a used feature is taken away. But from Canon´s point of view I think it´s absolutely right.
In the new design there is no place for a hotshoe anymore, and I´m quite sure that the vast majority of potential buyers are people who would never use a external flash with it anyway. They want a high quality always-with-you pocketable cam, and the design of the mk1 with the EVF/Hotshoe bulk was in the way.

Upvote 0