Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II Specifications

CANNOT

Why, hello there
Mar 13, 2019
Well, there is also the tripod socket to attach things ;)
Yeah, been seeing people do that underbracket side attachement method. Of course, kinda is extra fuzz to deal with though...
W3X4ROc.jpg

E.g. Sony's RX0 and handle attachement, incl. mount plate with external mic

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Because... what's the use of a pocketable cam, if you're carrying along say a RØDE VideoMic Pro... probably a Joby Gorillapod too. That's nice and all, but then you might as well pick up a mirrorless camera altogether. There you can actually pick a camera with a proper vari-angle display that flips out forward facing from the side rather than top, bottom or not evenat all.
That's it.

W3X4ROc.jpg

E.g. Sony's RX0 and handle attachement, incl. mount plate with external mic
And that, too

Upvote 0
For me, they removed the main features that made me prefer the G5X over the G7X2 ... the built-in EVF and side-flip screen. Definitely a no-go for me, as I don't care for the pop-up EVF at all ... but no problem. As someone else already said ... m50+kit lens looks pretty good, especially with used prices dropping. Still waiting for more about the m5 mk ii ....

Upvote 0
As it should be given the limitations of the G5X II, as the RX100 VI has no direct competition with it's 200mm lens, 315 focal points, much longer 4k recording etc.

Basically you get what you pay for.

"PREMIUM" compact. :)
G5 X II MSRP is still 25% below current Sony RX100 VI street price.

That said, EOS M50 is excellent value at USD 649 incl. 15-45 kit zoom.

Upvote 0
Sounds like someone has a little bit of jealously when it comes to Sony. Canon keeps trying to match the benchmark in its class, RX100, but as Sony is about ready to release a RX100 VII, Canon is just about to release the RX100 IV.

...slow lens.

True, some poor souls are going to pay for all these Sony ad campaigns.

Upvote 0
Sounds like someone has a little bit of jealously when it comes to Sony. Canon keeps trying to match the benchmark in its class, RX100, but as Sony is about ready to release a RX100 VII, Canon is just about to release the RX100 IV.

repeating it more often does not make it more true. Totally senseless statement at this time when we don't even have a full specsheet yet.

Upvote 0
I have G7X mark I and G5X II looks like a good upgrade. I like the popup viewfinger, a bit more reach and not that bulky body as the first version.
The I'll check the price next spring/summer :)

Sounds like a good plan. :)

Both, G7X III and G5X II look like logical and good updates to Canon's portfolio of (ultra-) compact 1" cameras. IMO with decent balance between IQ, features/functionality, handling, bulk/weight and price.

Will be interesting to see, whether or not Canon will also use G5X II form factor with pop-up EVF instead of central EVF bump for G1 X Mk. IV (if there will be one) and for EOS M50 Mk. II.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
We're regularly told on here - by people who obviously (think they) know - that Canon is an ultra-conservative company.

Ultra-conservative companies do not, by definition, arbitrarily drop features: nothing happens without there being a very good reason for it.

One other thing we know about Canon is that its diligence in market research is peerless: nothing happens at Canon unless it has been researched, analysed, evaluated and market-tested.

That doesn't mean they'll always make decisions that the average photographer can make immediate sense of, but it is axiomatic that if Canon has dropped the hot-shoe from this body, it has done so because it is the right decision in terms of Canon's wider strategy for the camera; and it will not have been made without there being solid numbers to back the decision up.

Alternative explanations - that Canon has done it for shits and giggles; or for spite - are risible.
drop features to save money or allow anther product they have to continue selling. its not about being conservative but being greedy and conservative. I never seen a tech company take things away from new products that was on previous products . usually new products it should be an accumulation and refinement of past products and features, but never that with canon.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Will be interesting to see, whether or not Canon will also use G5X II form factor with pop-up EVF instead of central EVF bump for G1 X Mk. IV (if there will be one) and for EOS M50 Mk. II.
Let me put it this way:

I think it's possible for Canon to drop hot shoe from G1 X but add an RT transmitter.
I think it's not feasible for Canon to drop hot shoe from M50 or to add a builtin RT transmitter.

On the other hand, I wonder if a BLE-controlled Speedlite is possible, and if we are going to see one. Could be hard to get the needed accuracy in latency, though.

Upvote 0
Let me put it this way:

I think it's possible for Canon to drop hot shoe from G1 X but add an RT transmitter.
I think it's not feasible for Canon to drop hot shoe from M50 or to add a builtin RT transmitter.

On the other hand, I wonder if a BLE-controlled Speedlite is possible, and if we are going to see one. Could be hard to get the needed accuracy in latency, though.
interesting. i'd see likelihoods the other way round. but since Canon has not even equipped their largest and most expensive cameras (1DX series where it would make a lot of sense and strong battery is available) with a built-in RT transmitter i have little hope for it to be included in their smallest and least expensive cameras.

As much as i would like to see it implemented - either built-in or as a little "USB dongle" - with full integration into camera/menu system.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
i have little hope for it to be included in their smallest and least expensive cameras.
G1X III is far from their "least expensive" cameras.

A built-in RT transmitter means a camera has a source of non-standard RF radiation, which puts legal limits to its use in multiple countries. This might be a lesser problem for a "top enthusiast compact" than for a professional tool.

Upvote 0