Canon registered two new ILC bodies

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
There's clearly a need for an "EOS R Mk II".
It’s probably more relevant to discuss the “needs” of the manufacturer, i.e what is missing from their range that would be in sufficiently high demand to make it a profitable line.

My opinion is that Canon, having produced the R6, probably don’t perceive there being a great demand for an R Mkii.

On the other hand, they need a market leading and very affordable starter camera (i.e. a successor to the RP) to entice people into the Canon system. Brand loyalty is a major driver of future sales, and Canon know that once they’ve got someone hooked, they’ll likely stay with them for several years.

When it comes to the “needs” and desires of enthusiasts as opposed to beginners, I think there’s probably far more demand for a crop sensor RF body, than there is for an R replacement. YMMV.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
the R6 sucks for hybrid vs the R. No custom video modes. Maybe that is a way of canon telling us the R6 isnt for video shooters also it has less MP. So it isnt really a replacement.

At least it shoots real 4K not 2.8K.

I finally gave up on canon releasing a high megapixel body and upgraded my Fujifilm GFX 50s to a GFX 100s. If canon ever releases a high megapixel body I’ll still be interested though. I’ve already got the RF lenses to go with it. The 100s is incredible for landscape photography although limited in lens versatility…

Maybe it is a high MP. One with a low pass filter and one with out. Then again it could be a replacement for the RP and the second one has the IR filter removed for astro.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Let's Hope the High Resolution
100 Megapixel Body
( R5s / RS )
Will Finally be Launched
After Seven Years of Waiting
Since the 2015 Release of the
5DS / 5DSR

Sony has developed a 102 Megapixel Sensor ( IMX555 ) and is Moving
Rapidly to Launch a High Resolution
Body in 2022

Possible these two codes are for
High Resolution Models
with and without
Anti Aliasing Filters

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
At least it shoots real 4K not 2.8K.

Maybe it is a high MP. One with a low pass filter and one with out. Then again it could be a replacement for the RP and the second one has the IR filter removed for astro.
i am just saying for real life usability it was a pain in the ass to use. The quality was fine. Canon always finds a way to take something off that makes a camera use when compared to a current or older camera.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
As an R6 user I can testify it's a stills body. No mystery here.
it is very good for video it is just heavily nerfed if you do both photo and video during events after being used to the mark 4, R, and R5. I also got a heat warning shooting cropped 1080 for some reason. i dont know what the deal with that was.

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
I don't know if I'm just the odd one out for wanting a camera between the R5 and R6, and there's just no market for that. Or, if Canon is genius for forcing upgrades to the R5.

The R6 just doesn't do it for me. 20mp Just isn't enough anymore.

However, 45 is a lot. Too much for me, mostly. I'm trying to think of what that would do when I'm merging 5-10 images in Ps. My computer would turn into a frying pan...

Obviously Canon knows what they're doing, but I still hope there's a camera in there for me.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
However, 45 is a lot. Too much for me, mostly. I'm trying to think of what that would do when I'm merging 5-10 images in Ps. My computer would turn into a frying pan...
me.
I’ve stopped doing portrait orientated panoramic stitching with the 5DS. It’s just a pain in the butt. The RP is ideal for this though.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Let's Hope the High Resolution
100 Megapixel Body
( R5s / RS )
Will Finally be Launched
After Seven Years of Waiting
Since the 2015 Release of the
5DS / 5DSR

Sony has developed a 102 Megapixel Sensor ( IMX555 ) and is Moving
Rapidly to Launch a High Resolution
Body in 2022

Possible these two codes are for
High Resolution Models
with and without
Anti Aliasing Filters
I don’t have the sales figures to prove it, but my impression is that ultra high MP cameras are a niche market, and not hugely important in terms of sales. They exist primarily to demonstrate the manufacturer’s capability and technical prowess.

Sure, they’ll be bought by a few landscape and architectural photographers, and by some wildlife photographers etc who believe that heavy cropping is better and more affordable than using big whites for distant subjects.

But I sense a turning in the tide. 100+MP is seen as too big a jump by many people who don’t want to also invest in a high end gaming computer to process the images, and who will rarely, if ever, have a genuine need for such high resolution.

Do you honestly believe that a 100MP camera is needed for your landscape photography? How large do you make your prints, and how close to them are your eyes when you look at them?

It seems to me that buying a 100MP camera is a bit like buying a 200mph Ferrari that never gets driven at more than half that speed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
I imagine we could something stripped down under $1k to replace the RP as well as a camera that has similar capabilities and resolution to the R but modified to add IBIS and get rid of the touch bar to be sold around the same price as the current R and still firmly below the R6. That said, I don't have any good reason to think this other than these wouldn't require them to design much new tech, and they'd be able to have their own distinct market segments and price points vs R6, R5, and R3.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
it is very good for video it is just heavily nerfed if you do both photo and video during events after being used to the mark 4, R, and R5. I also got a heat warning shooting cropped 1080 for some reason. i dont know what the deal with that was.
There has been plenty information from the gitgo about the R6, if you bought it for video work you didn't do your homework. Like complaining a Ford Pinto is a horrible NASCAR vehicle.

Upvote 0