Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

For same generation sensors the meme of pixel density = noise has been debunked by those who actually compare them for years, just take a few seconds and download some RAW files from DPReview to -rove it to yourself.

The very important parameter is the well capacity. In order to use all 14 bits, each pixel should be able to keep 16384 electrons, preferably more (as they cut some off the floor). Within that capacity, say 20000 electrons in smaller pixels don't make a big difference against say 30000 electrons in larger pixels. 30000 is a bit more granular than 20000 but not drastically (both ranges will be squeezed into 14-bit and 16384 values).
I don't know figures of well capacities of the current canon sensors, but I guess both R6 and R5 will be above 16384 or close, that's why I really hope, considering all advancements in microlenses, the R5 should be on par with the R6 in terms of the DR, and the R6 must be the same as 1DXIII.

Btw found this interesting article about DxOMark retracting their 1DXIII sensor review https://petapixel.com/2020/07/09/dxomark-admits-they-screwed-up-their-canon-1d-x-mark-iii-review/
First it shows how biased DxO is, second it's yet another confirmation R6 will be very good in terms of the DR (photonstophotos already shows that), also Canon promised a 1-stop improvement againtst the R which is quite exciting.

Upvote 0
You provided your use case. 4K60 shooting surfers. Both PureClassA and I thought a good solution is to use an external recorder. Sorry, if providing a workable solution is not what you wanted.

Not sure if you are just trying to make a point to bash the camera or not, but I don't see how you expect to get an answer to that specific question on a Canon Rumors forum.

As mentioned in my edit, the camera will provide you an estimated run time based on whatever shooting scenario you are in.

So you cannot answer my question. You do not know and neither does anyone else. This camera is not predictable and not reliable.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
R5, 95°F no shade, 4K60 has recording time of 19min 37sec before thermal safety shutdown.
Sony A7sIII 95°F no shade, 4K60 has recording time of 21min 18sec before thermal safety shutdown.

If you need to record over 25mins of 4K60 in 95°F heat you need an actively cooled video camera, Canon, Sony, etc all make models capable of those specs but nobody makes a stills orientated MILC capable of performing what you need. Whatever you get I’d suggest a $5 umbrella to help you and your camera out.

So just taking a WILD guess. Highly unreliable. Didn't even try to answer my other question - because nobody knows the answers to that either. Instead rambles on about Sony for some reason and an umbrella. I don't need an actively cooled video camera, I just want to know the answers to my questions.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Other cameras (including Sony) overheat when shooting 4K. This is no different, except it also does it at 8K. Has nothing to do with being in the Canon camp... it's haters focusing on Canon for a problem common to most all other cameras as well.
Just because Sony had overheating cameras for a number of generations doesn't mean it's OK. Canon never did and always said that they wouldn't come out with unreliable features but now suddenly they do. Canon "haters"??? I love my Canon cameras, but come on now. Only a fanboy would would think that every single thing about every single Canon camera is to be loved. There is likely no perfect camera for most people. It's ok to love your favorite came and still hate some things about it. Just because I hate the overheating at 4k doesn't mean I hate Canon.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
But you've got to factor in the cumulative effect of heat build up over a period of time, not just one take.

I've pre-ordered however, I find the heat issues a very dissapointing with all these limittions.
Yeah I absolutely get you. Personally I find it very disappointing that they offer any video capability at all actually. All that precious R&D money should go into better DR and battery life.
Seems like we'll both have to live with the (I assume rather capable) compromise we're being offered here. ;)

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
Dude, I'm just asking how long it will record. I'm not comparing it with other cameras.
No, you're just bashing everyone making educating guesses based on details provided by the manufacturer, and saying that none of that is good enough, while being rude to everyone as well as suggesting that isn't good enough.

In which case, wait for real world reviews. Except you're likely not in the market to buy a new camera. No-one with this level of antagonism and entitlement likely is. And that's fine. Not everyone is. But maybe stop prolonging a pointless internet fight to make the point that the camera you don't want isn't good enough - because the bottom line is that you don't know either. Wait for reviews, and be nice in the meantime.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Why is is that dim trolls like you always equate a simple Real World understanding that nothing is life is perfect, with being a "Canon butt kisser"?

Are you really that comprehension-impaired?

I wrote that I was kidding when I wrote "Canon butt kissers". It was in response to someones remark about "trolls and haters", sort of like your response, but worse in that you are directly calling someone (me) names now - very immature and shows lack of intelligence.

I know nothing in life is perfect. Why can't you accept that not everyone is going to be happy with certain imperfections. Especially unreliable/unpredictable ones. If they make a big enough stink about it, hopefully Canon will do something about it. another thing they can do is not buy their products. I have a right to voice my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
So just taking a WILD guess. Highly unreliable. Didn't even try to answer my other question - because nobody knows the answers to that either. Instead rambles on about Sony for some reason and an umbrella. I don't need an actively cooled video camera, I just want to know the answers to my questions.
No. not a wild guess, I am well positioned but obviously can't divulge the way I get this data as there are no non pre production model R5's out there and Sony are keeping the A7sIII under very tight wraps for a while yet. ;)

So either take my answer, realize that nobody can give you a better one (including Canon because they haven't tried it where you want to under the same conditions you would use it) or accept that to film 4K60 for 30 minutes is going to require a video camera.

The cool down and restart question is a bit more complicated and is a non linear sliding scale, the faster you restart it the less runtime you will get so unless you give me your expected down time or the expected follow on run time it is difficult to answer exactly as you keep asking. But here is a range I have garnered from my personal extended R5 use:-
1: Leave for 3 minutes you get a further 5:28
2: Leave for 5 minutes you get a further 8:57
3: Leave powered off completely for 20 minutes you get a full record time again.

I am deadly serious about the umbrella, in 95º heat you might come over all funny after 25/30 minutes...

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
No, you're just bashing everyone making educating guesses based on details provided by the manufacturer, and saying that none of that is good enough, while being rude to everyone as well as suggesting that isn't good enough.

In which case, wait for real world reviews. Except you're likely not in the market to buy a new camera. No-one with this level of antagonism and entitlement likely is. And that's fine. Not everyone is. But maybe stop prolonging a pointless internet fight to make the point that the camera you don't want isn't good enough - because the bottom line is that you don't know either. Wait for reviews, and be nice in the meantime.

I'm not being rude. I just want to know how long it will record. If I knew the answers I would not have asked the questions. If you or someone doesn't know that answer that is fine too. Just say you don't know if you plan to answer. You're very judgmental. I'm not fighting. I think it's great that Canon finally has IBIS and 4K no crop.

Upvote 0
If you don't have one to test, you don't have one to film your surfers.

You are so right - I don't have a camera that will over heat and shut down at any unpredictable time in above 73F, let alone outside in 95F. Even if I do what Canon suggests to do which is to bring a Fan with me...but they won't put it in their camera. They try to address the issue: "Magnesium alloy was used in the body to dissipate heat" - really??, that is nothing new. Putting a fan in a camera can be done so that it remains weather resistance - they just can't do it without a good ROI.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0