Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

People who need to be able to shoot 4k for hours on end need to look at other options, and I guess the angriest people here are the ones who cannot afford those other options.
Not necessarily; 4k 30 without oversampling has no record limit according to this report. If people need to film beyond the constraints of heating they can use that mode. Honestly, these compromises seem pretty reasonable when you consider it is a weather sealed and highly compact body.

If people can't live with these compromises then they'll buy something else. As always, in the end people vote with their wallets. If you need 8K raw/4K 60/4K120 with unlimited recording and no heat issues ever, they can buy a different that supports all of those... though the price point may not match.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
This just confirms the camera is useless. It’s been presented as a revolution for video and everyone was pumped about it but it’s completely unsable in real life. To all the idiots who rushed to buy it, Cancel your order before it’s too late... The camera will be called the frying pankake...
As per your previous post with a similar tone which prompted numerous negative responses. You clearly dont want to purchase this camera and have your opinion which you are welcome to.

However now you have voiced your opinion, please stop this nasty and insulting attack on a large proportion of this forum who are quite capable of seeing the pros and cons for themselves!

if you don't have anything constructive to say or a genuine question please don't post!!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
This just confirms the camera is useless. It’s been presented as a revolution for video and everyone was pumped about it but it’s completely unsable in real life. To all the idiots who rushed to buy it, Cancel your order before it’s too late... The camera will be called the frying pankake...
Amen brother!
And look at this idiot trying to shoot video on a 5D Mark II, what a schmuck!:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
What is unsable?? Please don't reply. I'm sure the reply will be nasty and unconstructive like your previous posts.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
As per your previous post with a similar tone which prompted numerous negative responses. You clearly dont want to purchase this camera and have your opinion which you are welcome to.

However now you have voiced your opinion, please stop this nasty and insulting attack on a large proportion of this forum who are quite capable of seeing the pros and cons for themselves!

if you don't have anything constructive to say or a genuine question please don't post!!
look at his posting history.. consistantly negative and rarely with strong arguments.. either troll or unrealistic expectations. Not sure which, but puzzling why he's here if not a troll...

I have had frustrations with Canon, but I do shoot canon and buy canon and I don't think going to another company will fully alleviate those things..it'll just be different compromises. This camera seems to address all my hesitations.. except for price, but that is my problem :)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

He is joking. Cant you see! Or is he not? I cant believe he can be serious....

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I don’t think you see the concern
If the concerns are true then this is a disappointment for video users

imagine if the burst rate on your camera was limited by temperature. You would miss shots or change what you really wanted to do based on how warm your camera.

That's just not how video production works. You're not continuously recording long clips. Run the same clip too long in any finished product and you will quickly lose your audience. If you pay attention to professional productions even long interviews involve short clips with slight scene changes and intermixed content so the viewer doesn't fall asleep.

Heat build up could be a concern for...

A) A vlogger who literally hits record and does one long session. Note that this is amateur hour as the professional vloggers clearly edit together short clips that alter the scene/angle slightly even when they're just talking, again because the viewer gets BORED TO TEARS if you don't. Also: do these people need more than 1080p? No, no they do not. Even the YouTube 4k quality argument doesn't hold because it's a compression issue with YouTube so you can simply upscale 1080p to 4k to bypass the issue. I can think of at least one very popular/talented video production vlogger who has access to high end dedicated cinema cameras who produces his YT videos using Canon hybrid cameras at 1080p. And his videos never lack for quality. I was also under the impression that Tony and Chelsea had abandoned a m4/3 4k studio setup for a Canon FF 1080p studio setup because of DPAF.

B) A live event like a press conference. Probably being covered by someone with a dedicated video cam.

C) A live sporting event where even if you're shooting short clips, you're shooting them one on top of the other in rapid succession so heat builds up. Again, probably being covered by a dedicated video cam with B footage from cameras like the 1DX mark III and in the near future R5 and R6.

Everyone envisions themselves producing the next Indie film and gets sad because a camera has thermal limits. Yet an actual film production is the one place where the thermal limits are probably not going to matter because of the length of time between every take to check/alter sets, retouch makeup, mess with lighting, direct actors, etc.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
For those that think Sony cameras do not overheat. From Sony’s own website:

If the temperature becomes too high, a warning icon may appear and the camera shuts down to protect the circuitry. This isn't a failure and your camera simply needs to be turned off for several minutes so it can cool down.

Upvote 0
If I’m angry it’s because I and others have been unrelenting attacked for doing nothing more than asking reasonable questions about overheating. It clearly is a significant issue for many of us and I think it’s reasonable to want to understand the extent of the problem. If there wasn’t a problem Canon wouldn’t be issuing guidance.

Instead our comments have repeatedly been twisted and intentionally taken out of context in an effort to force us to defend comment We haven’t made. This has not gone unnoticed by myself and has significantly diminished my interest in participating in these forums.

Upvote 0
I could see somebody designing a battery grip profile that has thermoelectric modules that mate with the baseplate. The modules would have the heat sink on the underside and the voltage produced by the modules would power a micro-fan. A second alternative is a simple grip type design with internal heat sinks and a battery powered micro-fan.

Upvote 0

TMHKR

EOS 800D
Sep 1, 2018
Why are people so entitled and spoiled these days to think every company owes them their unreasonable expectations for whatever low price they name?
YouTubers are the ones to blame. Yes, you do have some reasonable people among them, but you also have a bunch of crazed millennials who believe they're entitled to deserve that one "perfect" camera that doesn't exist, and who multiply even the smallest drawbacks ten fold. Some of them genuinely believe R5 can only be used as a doorstop because of this.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
If I’m angry it’s because I and others have been unrelenting attacked for doing nothing more than asking reasonable questions about overheating.

OK, your first post in this thread was...

Usual dopey comments by stills shooters who would never accept a stills camera that overheats under normal operating conditions but thinks it’s perfectly fine that video cameras do.

And you honestly can't understand why you've been 'relentlessly attacked'? You then followed your opening with...

Of course other manufactures cameras don’t overheat under normal conditions but let’s not let reality burst our our feel good bubble.

Point me please to another manufacturer's FF, hybrid, sub-$4k camera body which does not have recording limits at 4k 60p, 4k 120p, and 8k 30p. Even the Sony A73 can overheat and it's only delivering 4k 30p at 8-bit.

It clearly is a significant issue for many of us

Tell us why. Without calling anyone dopey. In what context will you run into these limits?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Watched the video again and he only states 4K30p.

A person has commented about this and the guy said it was Canons specs and he wasnt sure if it was HQ version or not. Probably was the downsamples version by the sound of it which highlights the fact most Tubers are posting total rubbish about the R5.

EDIT: should have typed wasn't the downsampled version
According to what was put by CR in this topic both standard and crop mode are good, only the oversample would generate heat.
That is good enough for my need if final production delivers that quality.
My only concern would be 4K60. I might forget about it in the heat of the moment.

Upvote 0

TMHKR

EOS 800D
Sep 1, 2018
lets say canon did address these issue with a cooling fan and vents.
you would be moaning about battery life fan noise and shoddy weather sealing
Since I work with computers since childhood, I can assure you the loudest parts and the first ones to fail are exactly the cooling fans. The smaller the fan, the faster (louder) it needs to be to effectively cool. Also, don't forget the fan would introduce some micro-vibrations, and you know what that means for image sharpness.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0