Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

I am primarily a stills shooter, but I can see how overheating can be disappointing. I think these numbers are from a cold start.

I wonder how it would work if I had the camera on and taking photos here and there, and then switched to shot a short video

Very good question, that's what I'm curious about as well. The numbers being listed in ideal conditions make it a little concerning for run and gun video.

I'll likely never use the 8K function except for some studio stuff here and there, but it's the concerns about overheating in 4K60p that are the issue. I was hopeful of being able to not have to carry around the GH5 with me, but it looks like I'll have to wait for that day to come.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You nailed it! Your question makes totally sense to me.
Shooting 45min 8K doesn't make sense what so ever to me, regardless of who is saying it.
However, if I intend to shoot 4K120, 30sec each, how long do I have to wait between takes in order to be able to shoot for 2 hours?
I am not a slow mo guy, and won't do that, but I can understand if someone wants to.
Again, real world scenarios. Would you really need to shoot 30 SECONDS of 120fps footage, for 2 hours? Firstly, the entire point of 120FPS is recording extremely short scenes for slow mo reproduction. Think Mythbusters... high speed camera to record an instant of time. If you're recording 30 seconds of continuous 120fps, I think you're already in a minority (I think even 15 seconds is pushing it). Needing to do it constantly for 2 hours (I can understand 2 or 3 retakes of an action scene... but 2 hours?) then yeah... a C500 is more up your alley.

One real world scenario I can think of... wanting to record cars drifting round a corner in slow mo. Ok... first of all... each scene is less than 10 seconds long (including lead in and lead out times). Secondly, in 15 minutes you can record 90 cars drifting around the corner before you need to take a break. Isn't that enough for a STILLS camera? If you need to record more than that, once again, it's like trying to make a Morris Minor do 300kph and log a record at Nurburgring. There are pieces of equipment DESIGNED for that sort of abuse.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Usual dopey comments by stills shooters who would never accept a stills camera that overheats under normal operating conditions but thinks it’s perfectly fine that video cameras do.
Of course other manufactures cameras don’t overheat under normal conditions but let’s not let reality burst our our feel good bubble.
You can’t make this stuff up. I have to find something better to do with my time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

another_mikey

CR Pro
Feb 17, 2015
I am primarily a stills shooter too. If I use 8K it will likely be for extracting 33MB frame grab stills for faster action. Personally, I am MUCH happier they chose to make the camera as weather protected as possible instead of putting in fans and cooling slots. I can take the camera out in light rain or cold extremes and not worry about issues to the same level I would if it had open vents in it. It is after all a hybrid camera that looks to excel at stills capture, which is why I have pre-ordered one. It looks to equal or exceed every single spec on my 6 year old 5DSr that I have happily used until now. I am excited to get into some wildlife imaging with this camera that was more difficult to do with the 5DSr.

I understand that for dedicated video capture the overheating issues could be a real problem. Perhaps that means buying a dedicated video camera is a better approach?

ML

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Sure, we would all love to boast that we can shoot TBs of 8K footage non-stop. But... reality:

1.) Your CF Express card is going to limit the footage you can record anyway. Outside of Delkin's recently announced 2TB card, the cards currently are limited to 1TB and cost around $1000/each! No, you can not offload your footage to an external recorder, as far as I know, external recorders top out at 4K60. This is a bandwidth limitation of the HDMI port.

2.) Unless you are shooting a full documentary interview, why are you shooting 20 minutes straight? Again, you are going to run into storage limitations so you need to be judicious with your shots. If at a wedding, shoot the vows. Shoot the cutting of the cake. Shoot some B-roll, none of these take 20 minutes. For travel-type videography, unless you are gimbal shooting you are not going to be able to shoot 20 minutes of steady footage. For an interview -- I would ask do we really care to see it in 8K? Or is 4K30 sufficient.

3.) In a pinch you can turn off the Overheat protection, understanding that you are putting undue wear and tear on the camera.

4.) If you need more than this, consider a C500 MKII. The right tool for the right job... don't use a utility knife to perform open heart surgery.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Still unaddressed: Can you mitigate some of these heat concerns, at least at 4K60 and below, by using an external recorder? That way at least you're offloading the h.265 compression to an external unit.
Any external recorder will wipe this out. I use one all the time with the EOS R and the R never gets warm and the LPE6N battery runs for hours

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Was it standard 4K30p or HQ 4K30p? There is a difference.
Watched the video again and he only states 4K30p.

A person has commented about this and the guy said it was Canons specs and he wasnt sure if it was HQ version or not. Probably was the downsamples version by the sound of it which highlights the fact most Tubers are posting total rubbish about the R5.

EDIT: should have typed wasn't the downsampled version

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Again, real world scenarios. Would you really need to shoot 30 SECONDS of 120fps footage, for 2 hours? Firstly, the entire point of 120FPS is recording extremely short scenes for slow mo reproduction.[..]

M ypersonal use case would be macro, getting slow-mo shots of various bugs doing their thing, e.g. a butterfly landing, sticking its proboscis into a flower, drinking and flying off again. Or sweat bees taking a pollen bath. Those are are hard to get right as stills, let alone video and I can do that for a long time in a row in my garden.
Since that's my only interest in video, I won't ever look at getting a proper cine camera. And it's a niche use case for a niche hobby, so all the hand (or other body part) waving about how professionals should work doesn't matter to me, personally.

Maybe I'll never hit the overheating threshold and all this is moot, but as someone else on this forum said: you can put the condescension back in the box.

Upvote 0
Usual dopey comments by stills shooters who would never accept a stills camera that overheats under normal operating conditions but thinks it’s perfectly fine that video cameras do.
Of course other manufactures cameras don’t overheat under normal conditions but let’s not let reality burst our our feel good bubble.
You can’t make this stuff up. I have to find something better to do with my time.

You really do.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Canon spent the last six months almost exclusively promoting the video capabilities of this camera. Which part of that do some of you fail to comprehend?

And it offers betters video specs than any other camera in the category. What part of that don't you comprehend?

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

I know! Not one other manufacturer of an 8K full frame mirrorless camera has this problem! Oh, because they don't have the camera offering to begin with.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
M ypersonal use case would be macro, getting slow-mo shots of various bugs doing their thing, e.g. a butterfly landing, sticking its proboscis into a flower, drinking and flying off again. Or sweat bees taking a pollen bath. Those are are hard to get right as stills, let alone video and I can do that for a long time in a row in my garden.
Since that's my only interest in video, I won't ever look at getting a proper cine camera. And it's a niche use case for a niche hobby, so all the hand (or other body part) waving about how professionals should work doesn't matter to me, personally.

Maybe I'll never hit the overheating threshold and all this is moot, but as someone else on this forum said: you can put the condescension back in the box.

Very cool! It is definitely a niche use case, but would love to see the output.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
Canon spent the last six months almost exclusively promoting the video capabilities of this camera. Which part of that do some of you fail to comprehend?

Comprehend it perfectly. Video recording at those resolutions moves a lot of data which creates a lot of heat (science). It's a small package packing a lot of technology. Which part of that do others fail to comprehend?

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0