Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
That will most likely work.

That being said...we, as consumers, are very lucky. I remember not being able to film content because my ENG camera encountered too much humidity. I remember having to cover Blackmagic and RED cameras from direct sunlight to keep the sensors cool to minimize the chance of sensor noise. Apparently, A7s were known for overheating but I was lucky enough to not encounter that issue.

The projects I shoot for work and for fun allow me to let the camera rest in between takes. Having started out with a Canon XL2 and moving on to Sony ENGs, Cinema EOS, and ARRIs, it's generlly good practice to turn off the camera in between takes...at least to save battery power.

Every camera has it's quirks. Canon could have capped shooting options to 4K 30 fullframe but they decided to go ALL-OUT and let the thing over heat.

It's up to the consumers to take that risk and I'm one of them.

Now, if I have a paid project, I will have back up cameras and back up cameras for those camera and if the budget allows, I'll hire proper cameras.

If the R5 were a C-cam/crash cam, I'd pair it with the C500ii.

I digress but back to your comment, yes, at 4K 60p only, an external recorder may help reduce heat build up; the R5's card bay door even has heat warnings.

Signs are pointing to this being a sensor read issue, not a compression issue. It would help, but I wouldn't expect an Atmos to give you more than a few minutes of extra 4K-Fine

Upvote 0
But you've got to factor in the cumulative effect of heat build up over a period of time, not just one take.

I've pre-ordered however, I find the heat issues a very dissapointing with all these limittions.
I hear you but Canon is usually conservative with their number and estimates; eg. shots per battery with the EOS R. Hopefully they're being convservative with their "rest and resume" estimates but we'll see. Personally, I'm not too worried about the 8K/4K60/120 heat limits; I usually turn my cameras off between takes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
4K 30p sounds good enough for me and a great option for normal people. I can understand some people want the 4k 120p option for slow motion but i'm not really sure why the limit would be an issue as how much slow motion would you want to film at once? As far as 8K, I genuinely think its an amazing achievement to have that in a mirrorless body this size and whilst I feel for those that want this feature and be able to have unlimited recording time, realistically unless the laws of physics can be changed, it's not going to happen any time soon. Sorry folks.
I think I remember some YouTubers and critics pleading Canon to "not be afraid" and push their tech and let their cameras overheat like Sony. If true, look where we are now. Haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I thought it was write-to-card issue. IMO, I would take a heat sink over IBIS. I think IBIS will be off most of the time for me.

Different modes with the same codec/bit rate seem to have different thermal limits. To me, seems like Digic has plenty of headroom for compression tasks. But 45mp on a full frame sensor is a lot of ADC, and a lot of surface area to dissipate the heat from.

On the IBIS thing, You can't build a camera for everyone, and the problem here is that the still-focus crowd have the holy grail of cameras in front of them, and the video-focus crowd is has a ton of compromises. I wouldn't, for instance, trade out IBIS for a sigma-fp style heat sink. And I am super skeptical of the durability of a fan.

Perfect world? Canon could have released a 5Dc with active cooling at $4500+. But that is not the world we live in.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Never used an external recorder so can you just record the output of the HDMI feed without ever pressing record on the camera?
Yup. If you hit record on the R it will trigger both the R and the NinjaV. If you hit record on the NinjaV, it will only record on the NinjaV and will not be hindered by the 29:59 internal recording limit of the R.

• Love
Upvote 0
I think when anyone, me included, sees information they are interested in, they get excited and focus on that, losing some objectivity and perspective along the way.

I'm not in marketing but Canon could have positioned this a little better to manage expectations and focus on the R5 being a fantastic stills camera with some incredible options re 8K?

Maybe Everyone needs to chill a little, reflect on if they got a little too excited and manage their expectations? :sneaky:
I honestly think they will take the R5 sensor (not IBIS) and stuff it in the 5DV and market THAT as the stills-centric body. We'll see in Aug/Sept.

Upvote 0
Different modes with the same codec/bit rate seem to have different thermal limits. To me, seems like Digic has plenty of headroom for compression tasks. But 45mp on a full frame sensor is a lot of ADC, and a lot of surface area to dissipate the heat from.

On the IBIS thing, You can't build a camera for everyone, and the problem here is that the still-focus crowd have the holy grail of cameras in front of them, and the video-focus crowd is has a ton of compromises. I wouldn't, for instance, trade out IBIS for a sigma-fp style heat sink. And I am super skeptical of the durability of a fan.

Perfect world? Canon could have released a 5Dc with active cooling at $4500+. But that is not the world we live in.
My concern with active cooling would be battery life. I remember the BMPCC days with its Peltier cooler. It would eat a battery and 64GB card in 15min but I got used to the workflow. Haha.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
Honestly, I'm kinda bummed Canon fell into the shrill Youtuber clickbait trap. Hell, even Jared was telling people to shut up and wait for the camera. Now Canon have shown they're sweating like... well, like they've been recording at 8K for 15 minutes....

All of this noise will go away when it's been in users hands a couple of months. The all-around proposition looks incredible. This is fan entitlement / axe-grinding for clicks because it doesn't do everything, perfectly. No one camera does.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Yup. If you hit record on the R it will trigger both the R and the NinjaV. If you hit record on the NinjaV, it will only record on the NinjaV and will not be hindered by the 29:59 internal recording limit of the R.
I'm afraid the R5 will stay in the line-skipping 4K mode (to prevent overheating) until you hit record on it. Or at least that's what Canon claims it will do.

So, while you will be able to record more than 30 minutes continuously, it won't be of 4K-oversampled-from-8K quality.

Upvote 0
I'm genuinely baffled. Even by the standards of people moaning about stuff on the internet... I'll repeat what I said on another thread: when the 8K rumour first emerged (was it February?), nobody seemed to take it seriously, and naysayers including DPReview were openly suggesting it might just be a time lapse mode, or just capabl of very short clips. If you'd said back then it would be up to 20 minutes straight, people would have been pleasantly surprised. If in the interim people have convinced themselves that there would be no limitations of any kind, then that's their own naivety. You are being given MANY MORE OPTIONS THAN BEFORE. There is no perfect product. The levels of entitlement and nitpicking are trough the roof!

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Canon is up front about it. People are not being deceived. The laws of electronics, thermodynamics still apply.

People who need to be able to shoot 4k for hours on end need to look at other options, and I guess the angriest people here are the ones who cannot afford those other options.

I see the R6 as the ultimate all-around events body, amazing for indoor shows and sports, outdoor action. Paired with the R for higher resolution portraits, heck, I'm set.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0